Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Ideas why the Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel disconnects w/ every reboot?

Good News:  I'll post it in another thread here in case there are others who need to know this...a driver is coming out in a few weeks for the Cessna Trim Wheel that will resolve this particular issue.   This from MadCatz support this morning.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Great news Noel! I have the same issues and am also on my second trim wheel. I thought that the first was broken but the replacement behaves the same.

Scott

Great news Noel! I have the same issues and am also on my second trim wheel. I thought that the first was broken but the replacement behaves the same.

Scott

Yes keeping our fingers crossed!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Good News:  I'll post it in another thread here in case there are others who need to know this...a driver is coming out in a few weeks for the Cessna Trim Wheel that will resolve this particular issue.   This from MadCatz support this morning.

Picking up on this old thread as my trim wheel is driving me nuts in P3Dv2.5. Did this new driver ever materialise?

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I dont think it is a driver problem, it is the fact that the device does not announce itself on the USB for the Plugnplay to see it, hence it does not appear in the list of devices to be used. This can only be fixed by changing the firmware in the device...not easy.

Jorge

This is very odd.....I have had the Cessna trim wheel for about two years now, and have never had any issues with it....I have it plugged into the usb plug on my Saitek yoke. worked flawlessly in FS9, works flawlessly now in P3d, originally without fsuipc, but now with it.....flawlessly. I am running the SST software, but I don't use any profile related to the trim wheel.

Do you leave your flight sim gear plugged in all the time? Or do you plug it in only when you are ready to fly....I do the later, but I have had issues in the past with some controllers that have been left plugged in (unused) for extended periods....and when you go to use them they don't function until they are unplugged and re-plugged...??

I respond to this old thread as until now, I resolved it in the same way: by turning the Saitek Trim Wheel some revolutions after Windows 10 starts. Today, I thought to go deeper in detail and found a solution - not avoiding the wheel turns, but to be remembered at Windows startup that this has to be done.

In Windows Device Manager, after setting the "View" to "Devices by container", I found an entry "Pro Flight Cessna Trim Wheel" with two devices: "HID-compliant game controller" and "USB Input Device".

Comparing these devices in Windows Device Manager before and after turning the wheel after reboot, I found a difference in the "HID-compliant game controller" in Details -> property "Bus number". Before turning, the value was 0 or 1 and after turning (accompanied by the USB device plugin "bling") it was higher, 15 or 20 (changed after power off, but mostly 15).

As I already run a BAT script at Windows start with "dir /s" on every sim related directory to load the directory entries into RAM (snake oil ? RAMMAP shows an increased "meta data " area afterwards), so I put some code in this BAT script that reads the "Bus number" and, if not above 1, alerts me to turn the wheel. Alerting is done in a loop until I turn the wheel, so I cannot forget it. Turning the uninitialized wheel while P3D has been started and prepared for flight just to get an unflyable aircraft is annoying.

So I use the following statements, not solving the issue, but to remember me to turn the wheel.

Requisite: Saitek Trim Wheel with USB hardware id HID\VID_06A3&PID_0BD4\6&24C0CE00&0&0000, I got this string from this Powershell command:

Get-PnpDevice -PresentOnly | Where-Object { $_.InstanceId -match '^USB' } | format-table -autosize

The Trim Wheel should be displayed with VID 06A3 (vendor id of SAITEK) and PID (product id of Trim Wheel) 0BD4. The string from Get-PnpDevice has to be set into the following code after "-InstanceID" if different. This sample code (.BAT) checks by calling Powershell the bus number until it is higher than 1 as in my environment, 0 or 1 mean "wheel not turned since reboot". Depending on this bus number, it calls Powershell again to let Windows SAPI speaking the actual state of the Trim Wheel on my speakers, it can be replaced by simple "echo" statements.

:askagain

REM Get trimwheel bus number
powershell.exe -Command "$busnbr=Get-PnpDeviceProperty -InstanceId 'HID\VID_06A3&PID_0BD4\6&24C0CE00&0&0000' -Keyname 'DEVPKEY_Device_BusNumber' | select -ExpandProperty data; exit $busnbr"
set twrc=%ERRORLEVEL%
if %twrc% GTR 1 goto wheelok

REM Ask to turn trimwheel
powershell.exe -Command "$text=\"Bus number is %twrc%, now it's time to turn the Sai-tec Trimwheel some revolutions... go ahead, $env:username\" ; $voice = New-Object -ComObject Sapi.spvoice ; $voice.rate = 0 ; $voice.speak($text)"

REM Delay 3 seconds, then check again
timeout /T 3
goto askagain

:wheelok
REM Wheel now initialized
powershell.exe -Command "$text=\"Sai-tec Trimwheel seems to be ok, bus number is %twrc% !\" ; $voice = New-Object -ComObject Sapi.spvoice ; $voice.rate = 0 ; $voice.speak($text)"
Edited by QuaxTheSnoopie
Get-PnpDevice without Format-Table -autosize truncated InstanceID