Sign in to follow this  
Guest mikealpha

Captain Sim !! Did they "through the towel"?

Guest Ridge_Runner_5

Just Flight does :) Martin Wright and the team was showing it at the Conference...

Guest Len

I just emailed them two weeks ago requesting a new key because I was reinstalling their 727 on my new system. Came back promptly with a new key. If they don't want a support forum that's their business. Most other software developers and publishers outside of the FS9 addon business don't so why should they? There's no inherent right to have a support forum. Don't buy their products if you don't like the lack of support forum. As long as they respond like they did with my request I have no problem with them.

Trust "jwenting" :-roll to say something like that. If people would notice anything about it they would know that Captain Sim is based in Canada not Russia (main office is in Ontario) so to start bashing my mothering country is quite offensive, and it doesn't take alot of balls to say it on a forum, but say that to a Russian face to face and I doubt you would feel the same opinion ;)Fseevo Samava Luchsheva! (Best Wishes) http://www.x-plane.org/users/ilyushin/flagsjoined.jpgPROUD RUSSIAN CANADIAN!

Guest allcott

Well for the forum thing, why not just open up an unofficial one at one of the popular websites? There is even a flag for the Captain Sim forum here at Avsim that is currently unused.No-one ever said that the developers had to provide a forum. In fact, as Captain Sim hardly ever provided support in their forum - it was left mainly to the customers - why can't someone just start an unofficial forum?Of course, the reason why developers have their own support forum will then become clear - developers have no editing rights in someone elses forum.It is precisely this `fragility` of this almost invisible `company` that stops me being a Captain Sim customer again. When was the last time they attended a major sim or software show?Allcott

All I know is I've never had a problem with Captainsim as a vendor of products I've bought nor in support of products. Plus, when I've done skins etc, they've voluntarily asked me to beta test products such as their Yak3, 707 and F-104. Seems like a good group to me. However, Im assuming some others have had problems etc. So I will wait and see.Im hoping these excellent developers return in full form!!!Tom, please let this thread run a little. People are passionate about CS because their quality is great...but their situation is precarious apparently. Some latitude here is good to get the full story.RegardsEric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

>but say that to a Russian face to face and I doubt you>would feel the same opinion ;)I would. I could say face to face to any Russian that their beloved Putin is a new czar, they could have saved themselves a lot of grief and blood by not lunching the 1917 Revolution and kept the czar they already had ;-) I thought jwenting's post was actually quite funny. Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest Pabra

I hope they're working on the "legendary dc9". A perfect one vc wise is still missing in my hangar. I bought the 727 via justflight on cd; none of that activation stuff. Work like a charm..

Hi,On the avsim.ru site (a not very active site) via an automatic Russian-English translator :Captain Sim invitesDate: 09.11.2004 18:48International company Captain Sim with branches in Canada, Moscow and Kiev is engaged in development, publishing house and support of computer games (Flight Simulators) since 1999. We invite to constant well paid work at our new Kiev office of talented and skilled experts on posts:THE SENIOR PROGRAMMER, TEKSTURSHCHIK-MODELIST.THE SENIOR PROGRAMMERRequirements:* Excellent knowledge With ++, XML* Knowledge of technical English languageIt is desirable:* Aviation formation* Skills web programming* Experience of participation in projects on manufacture of computer games* Acquaintance with MSFSThe resume send to the address: hr@captainsim.com_____________________________________________________________________TEKSTURSHCHIK-MODELISTRequirements:* Knowledge 2D and 3D editors (Photoshop, 3Dmax or Gmax - it it is necessary)* Presence of abilities and the experience, allowing to create photorealistic structures and exact models.It is desirable:* Aviation formation* Experience of participation in projects on manufacture of computer games* Acquaintance with MSFSThe test task will be given to candidates.The resume send to the address: hr@captainsim.com------------------------------------------------------Are they expanding or replacing?hm

Guest pez_man

Well, Kiev that's the Ukraine isn't it... Guess calling an Ukrainian Russian is about as popular as calling a Norwegian Swedish! ;-)BTW, that Russian conspiracy is a funny idea! Has anyone seen the hilarious Simpsons episode where they present that theory? Lenin suddenly rises from his tomb, Must...destroy...capitalism! Grrr..http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/104593.jpg(Well, this was a clever contribution to the thread wasn't it?!)rgrds fredrik

What is the bottom line on that 707 they are now selling. It sure looks sweet, but I have not really heard much about it on the forum. Is it a go or a no go in terms of a purchase in most of your minds? What are the negatives about it?RH

Hi,The Legendary B707 can be a great product. It already is a great product when it comes to the visual aircraft models. But it still needs a thorough patch, when it comes to the panel logic.Furthermore, there is a memory leak in the VC, which they didn

Staffan

Guest mikealpha

>> Is it a go or a no go in terms of a purchase in most of your minds?A short summary from my point of view :(+) good flight dynamics and "feel"(+) looks good (for what it's worth)(-) partially not authentic (numerous gauges just copied from the 727)(-) too many system inaccuracies or simplifications to list here(-) limited gauge readability (at least on my 19" monitor) Mike

Guest B52Drivr

Mike,Because of the memory leak, the all but unusuable auto pilot, and other features which seriously need addressing, if it was me, it would be a NO-GO.All in all it is a shame, becaue their visual's are just down right beautiful and the aircraft has some really nice features . . . but beauty is, as beauty does . . . and this one doesn't.Anyone who thinks that this offering flies like, or even close to the real thing, is just blowing smoke. It has tons of problems which really need to be addressed. The support issue is also another item which leaves it up in the air. I really don't understand why these people ask for beta testers who are real pilots and then ignore what they tell them . . . must be in the translation, (I'm being kind).This aircraft could have been an instant classic, but instead was rushed into production, the beta testers who were knowledgable were constantly ignored, there was NO communication between beta testers and the producers. Just seems a funny way to create quality software.As with the 727 they produced, it was a real nice try, but no cigar.Just my .02 cents worth, no flames please, I own both the 727 and the 707 and fly neither in FS any longer . . . I've also got a ton of hours in both in real life. In direct comparison, the new DF 727 is about as close as this writer thinks you can come for a fine reproduction of a FS aircraft . . .I'm not selling the DF offering, although I was on of its beta testers, I'm just noteing that the DF had its homework done and it came out about as good as it gets. And there is support and future updates planned. Weigh the differences on what you get and how you get it and how it performes, make your own decision . . . as it is your money.Best to all,Clay

Guest mikealpha

Clay,yes, certainly I agree, the CS 707 feels like a cheap shot, especially compared to the DF 727 . As I said, the inaccuracies in the 707 are too much to list :)But the overall 707 flight experience is IMO not as bad as you describe it. With that I'm referring to the overall big jet "feel", crosswind behaviour and things like that. It's MUCH better than in the CS 727.Certainly about the 707 performance accuracy it's better not to talk. About stuff like EPR probably Captainsim has not yet heard about.Oh well, will the 707 ever be repaired with patches ? I wouldn't hold my breath.Mike

Thanks guys for those reples! I won't purchase until they have released a patch which deals with some of these difficulties.RH