Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

Help deleting static aircraft from a scenery

I have scenery for Ivanovo air force base in Russia (XUID) and the scenery has loads of static planes. I want to delete all of the static planes except for the An-22's. How can I do this? There is a bgl file for the static An-22's but no other bgl files for the static planes.

(The scenery can be found at avsim.su and the file name is 45018-Project-Ivanovo-04-06-2012.zip)

The static aicraft are included in the file Lib37.bgl. You might delete these objects.with Instant Scenery.

I want to take this opportunity to appeal to scenery designers: Please put static aircraft in separate files, not everybody likes them. Especially if they are of poor quality or unsuitable with tscenery location (wrong immatriculation etc.).

Bernard

Where do I get Instant Scenery? Is it payware? (don't have the money right now for payware)

If I delete Lib37.bgl will it delete more than just the static aircraft?

Indeed, Instant Scenery is a payware. You might try to remove the objects with ExcBuilder, however it isn't as precise as IS.  

The file includes all aircraft, even the AN-22, trucks, radars, buildings etc.

Bernard

There is one additional item to consider. Where static aircraft are available for a scenery the developer does usually not put in parking places for ai to avoid conflict.

There is one freeware utility you might consider that can tackle excludes and to add parking places to an existing file and should also modify the original .bgl. That utility is ADE (Airport Design Editor). In part it is like AFCAD but is current with updates.

I would try this:

Create a project folder that you will save your intermediate project files ADE uses for creating and editing airports. Choose file/open airport direct from .bgl and browse to the afcad like file with runways, etc. Now you should be able to import the referenced .bgl with the static aircraft and other objects. You then can delete unwanted objects and compile the project with only the desired files.

I am downloading the Ivanovo project airport now and get to more details. If needed ADE can also add exclude polygons. If an unwanted object is already buried in an exlude polygon, in ADE you just hide the excludes and then proceed to do the work you require.

I can not get to this today but I'll see what works as soon as I can.

(I am going to  be removing snow for a while and other chores.)  :)

I had a look at the AF2 file. ADE found two fault types. The runway taxi path was not assigned to a runway. In addition it stated the start points were at the incorrect altitude for the airport. I assigned the runway taxi path to R29 which is the primary end.

ADE also found the GA parking types had the same parking index number (40), not fatal but might cause an ai problem.

So far no luck on importing the static objects into ADE, but that is probably me. I'm not an expert.

I hesitate to actually install this model as it seems to replace default terrain, afd type, files, and H type files that can be hazardous to modify.

For now, more snow to remove.

Hi,

I wonder how you bring this scenery to work at all, as I got a crash while loading a flight at Ivanovo after installing it.

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Thanks guys. I guess I will try using ADE to get rid of the static planes. I was hoping it would be easy to delete them, but in this case it is not.

Harald........There is a empty texture folder in the Ivanovo_Alt folder. Maybe that is causing your crashes? Or maybe you forgot to put the textures in the scenery\world\texture folder?

In fact the static aircraft are saved in the file XUDI_OB1.bgl. I deleted all of them. So send me a PM with your mail address, and I will send you the modified bgl.

It was just a good exercise, as I use a lot of russian military airports with my classic FS9. And there are always some statics not suitable with Soviet era. 

Bernard

Edited by leuen

Or maybe you forgot to put the textures in the scenery\world\texture folder?

Bingo! Thanks!

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

In fact the static aircraft are saved in the file XUDI_OB1.bgl. I deleted all of them. So send me a PM with your mail address, and I will send you the modified bgl.

It was just a good exercise, as I use a lot of russian military airports with my classic FS9. And there are always some statics not suitable with Soviet era. 

Bernard

I imported that file into the AF2_ bgl in ADE and for some reason that worked this time. The objects show in the airport view. It does not show thumbnails but just the object ident (bgl object file name). I opened each object file in a binary editor and I see the title of the texture file used. Is this the only way to identify these object bgl files of this library type?

ADE does show the latitude/longitude, so I suppose I could install this airport and get the latitude and longitude from that using the FS airport view and lock that to ADE (uses free fsuipc3) to point out each object. (I have an "arrow" shaped aircraft for this purpose but any will do, of course, for slew mode.)

I also decoded the XUDI_OB1.BGL to xml which relates the object file name to latitude and longitude but that's a lot of work and ADE did that visually.

So what method did you use to relate the object file name to the object type?

Looks like the file attachment is down so I can't show the ADE screenshot with the XUDI imported objects.

I used simply Instant Scenery. There is tool to scan all objects in a certain radius, and it shows the files of all identifed objects. I opened the corresponding file and deleted the aircraft one by one. It has be done in five minutes!

ADE is complicated in general, and of any help in this particular case. Sorry to say that.  

Bernard

Thank you so much leuen! I sent you a PM with my email address.

1. As soon as I enable lib37.bgl in XUID\scenery I get an FS out of memory crash. Other airports are OK. Anyone else? I have enough ram according to a runtime utility I use and disk space is not an issue.

2. I have the predecessor to Instant Scenery called E-Z Scenery, that is supposedly same developer. I thought I'd see what I could do.

Since the documentation is in Russian I'm not sure if I installed it correctly. The only files I have not installed are the Eure scenery files that replace default. I also tried the repaired XUID AF2 file I corrected in ADE but no difference. I did install the fx file for smoke in the FS effect folder and textures in the World texture folder (for the lib objects). Did I miss something?

I decided to install the airports so I could see if E-Z Scenery showed the lib objects.

I have been thinking about Instant Scenery as well.

I did get the XUID_OB1 file imported an ADE .bgl as I stated and I hoped to see them visually in FS so I could lock the ADE cursor to my aroow pointer aircraft position.

Anyway, as downloaded, I can not see these objects AFAIK loading XUID and I get the crash as long as lib37 is enabled.

Yes ADE is complex just for scenery placement but it has extensive afd object editing flexibility such as approach routes for ai, etc.

Win XP-32 FS 9.1.

@ronzie: You say, the textures in World/Scenery/texture folder are for lib objects. The textures of the objects are included in the scenery texture folder.  Those for World folder are needed for terrain, I presume.

Strange, my scenery works correctly, even if I didn't replaced the files in Eure/scenery and didn't activate Ivanovo_Alt. I just had to adjut the altitude in the Afcad. 

Cheers,

Bernard