Sign in to follow this  
kjracing81

Advice for setting up my pc for Dx10 please

Hi,

I have tried to sift through all the info on this to get my best results but I'm hoping some experts on here can guide me.

My specs are below

I7 dual core 2.9ghz

8Gb ram

nividia 640 Le 2Gb

I have all scenery sliders max,

Most aircraft extras turned off and traffic set at only 10% on most, and my only tweak is HIGHNEMFIX=1

I have bought steve fx fixer and applied it.

I have just bought ftx glibal and vector and love the visuals.I'm getting 60fps in the air and 20-30 on the ground at manchester or heathrow depending on the aircraft.

My question is what else can I do to boist performance abit? I'm using razer game booster so fps limiters aren't working for me.

Hope someone can help.

Regards

Kenny

Hope someone can help.

We have an excellent support forum for DX10 and I recommend you check there.  Paul J will take care of you.  I'm moving this post there.  Make sure your parameter in FSX says highmemfix=1.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Good Morning, Jim .... and my advice is to read the "How-To" guide cover to cover and step by step, along with the Avsim FSX Basic Guide. Once you've done everything according to those guides - then come back here if you have any problems or comments. Most of it is pretty straight-forward, but I'm pretty sure you will have a few issues, as no two machines are identical. Someone here will be glad to help you.

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks for the reply Paul.

I have read alot and researched alot which is why I'm up to the stage I am. I'm quite happy with how it runs, above a few 1000 ft its 60 fps constant and in himalayas over 100!

Nividia inspector doesn't seem to work for me, maybe its due to razer booster, and by that I mean the frame limiter is not working (I put 30 in)

I was wondering if there is anything I am missing regards must have tweaks. I can't seem to download the guide which is pinned a topic, just keep getting timed out.

Nividia inspector doesn't seem to work for me, maybe its due to razer booster, and by that I mean the frame limiter is not working (I put 30 in)

The guide is in my sig, same place - my DropBox, but the Avsim link maybe affected by the connections volume.

You need to read it.

All the best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

kjracing81

What I did was to start by deleting my fsx.cfg.

I then went by the FSX Basic Guide.  That way I had a platform to look into DX10.

I checked my computer to make sure it could handle DX10 and it did.

I then went step by step with the PINNED how to and the pdf How To guide to set up DX10

It took me about 2 hours from start to finish.  There is not push a button and there it is.  This is a process but well worth it.

On my first flight out of Diamond Head the water was unreal!  The other graphics were very nice my machine is running smooth.  A lot better than it did in DX9. 

Stick by the forums here and you will get all the help you need.  The guide is very well written.

Respectfully,

Jet

Thanks for the replies. I deleted my config and started again with just HIGHMEMFIX=1 and followed the how to guide. All seems to be perfect apart from I still can't lock the fps, I have tried a variety of ways.

My other problem is the ground scenery fets blurry with altitude, like there is a layer of fog over the roads? I'm using ftx global and vector.

Can you be specific about frame rates?  Are you trying to accomplish this with your video card, internally via FSX.CFG or in game via the frame rate slider?

Respectfully,

Jet

Thanks again for the reply,I have tried a variety of ways, following pauls Guide I have got the slider set to 33 and left inspector with no value, using that I still get 50-70 fps flying out of kingston jamaica (my test flight). I am using razor game booster which could be the problem but even without it the foggy textures are there.

Last night I also added lor radius upto 9.5 which in a slow moving aircraft pretty much fixes it but when I'm in a jet doing 300+ its awful.

Quick question.  Did you buy SteveFX Scenery Fixer.  Seems if you are going to all the trouble with all the other equipment you ought to go with Scenery Fixer.  I did and I am glad I did.  I know my way around config files and I can do fairly in-depth tuning etc.  But when I started looking into the patch etc and the free way of going to DX10, well my eyes crossed.  LOL  I just reached for Steve's Scenery Fixer and called in the one who knows.  

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2630

Beyond that.  The only suggestion in any of the guides for MY particular set up is the locking the in sim frame slider to 33 or 34 fps.  

I go with unlimited.

I cant say why that works but it does.  If I lock 30 in sim my frames drop to around 14 15 or so.  All other parameters equal.  Location, aircraft, etc.

But IMHO if one is attempting to go to DX10 without using the AVSIM guides and Steve's Scenery Fixer you're going about it in a manner that is way too complicated.

Again.  What I did was....

Clean fsx.cfg.                                        (copy current fsx.cfg and put it away in a safe folder)

FSX Basic Guide                                   (UNDER CONTENT) www.avsim.com

Steve's Scenery Fixer                            http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2630

DX10 Guide by Paul                              Follow the link 3 posts above under Paul J's signature area

Very good success with an aging machine

Good Luck!

Respectfully,

Jet

Yes I have steves fixer as stated in my original post. I have read pauls guide cover to cover more than once and the only thing i can think to do is start turning scenery sliders down but I had a near perfect experience before I installed ftx global and vector.

Yes I have steves fixer as stated in my original post. I have read pauls guide cover to cover more than once and the only thing i can think to do is start turning scenery sliders down but I had a near perfect experience before I installed ftx global and vector.

YEP!!

That is where the rest of us are.  As stated before.  DX10 is not a performance booster.  But rather a more stable FSX experience with a good deal better graphics, given the system we individually have.  We all have different setups.  That is why THESE GUIDES are so well put together.  It covers what is going to work best for the community as a whole.

So that means you need to experiment with your equipment, given the aircraft, scenery, weather etc you prefer.

That is GOING to change for any given flight situation.

Now, what I did was to take my most CPU intensive aircraft.  I put it into the most demanding scenery.  I then added the most heavy weather I could.

FROM THERE, I adjusted my sliders to get the best Frame Rate I could.

From this point forward I know that every aircraft I fly into that area given any conditions Active Sky 2012 can come with, will only give me better performance from there.

Worked like a champ.  I leave it all alone now and concentrate on getting back to what FSX is for.

Flying!  

Respectfully,

Jet

Many Thanks, Jet. I very much appreciate your well-thought out and well-written posts!

(I had hoped to retire from this position by now, and reading the above - maybe I can. B)   )

All the Best,

pj

Thanks Paul, actually the thanks goes out to you guys for putting all this together for us!  FSXX is now a real joy to fly and my 16 year old could really notice the difference so that says a lot.

All the best to you too sir!

Respectfully,

Jet