Sign in to follow this  
Wagz

How to land "blind" in snow at KDCA?

yup, it happened.In WW2 Mustangs and Spitfires were ferried across as well as other singles.In TCA we have (or had, not sure if he's still active) a guy who flew for Mooney ferrying aircraft across the Atlantic on a regular basis.Just a fueltank, a handheld radio (the final kit was fitted in Europe to confirm to European regulations) and a lunchbox for company. Select your food carefully as there's no toilet between Newfoundland and Scotland...

Now hold on just a sec: I appreciate this thread and the many comments, but I specifically selected the River Approach because it is, well, ....challenging. If I'd wanted to do a blind ILS landing (as I experienced in a BEA Trident in real life at EGLL as early as 1967), I'd've selected that.What I was trying to figure out what a way to fly in around the river to Rwy 19. I did tune my Nav 1 to the KDCA VOR but it didn't serve me much use because I was struggling with orientation so much I didn't get to glance at it. For e.g., when I thought I was straight and level, I was in fact descending at 3000 fpm. When I thought I'd come out of a turn, I was in fact banked at 45 degrees. And so on (eeek!)Perhaps this whole gig was just an exercise in idiocy on my part. But I am sure there are pilots out there who have negotiated and who can fly fairly much blind turning and descending approaches and not mash the plane and themselves up, no?JS

Sure pilots can fly turning and winding aproaches in near zero conditions, but they of course would require some sort of navigational signals (VOR, ILS, NDB, DME etc) to fly by.In your case, you're flying the River Visual. Notice Visual being in the name of the approach. It requires visual contact with the river at all times. In 1/4 mile visibility, low ceilings and snow it is completely impossible to fly this approach real world or sim (which you found out through your 4 crashes obviously). In such conditions the only option you have to get that plane on the runway is an ILS, be it "boring" or not.I can understand that you were looking for a something refreshing and challenging, but I'm afriad you picked an approach that is completely impossible.That said, the River Visual is hard enough to fly in clear skies. I would try flying it at the published minimums for the approach that someone else mentioned above, I beleive 3 miles vis and ceiling 3500 feet. That way you'll be "legal" to fly it, while with the 3 mile vis you still won't be able to see much in front of you down the river. Or, you can try it at night (I have, and it was very intresting).JoeStudent Pilot - 50 hours - KPNE