Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

JustFlight Eurofighter Typhoon: Opinions?

There's a distinct lack of commentary and review on JF's Eurofighter, particularly after they released their service pack last summer (with the notable exception of one AVSIM member who shall remain nameless but was not impressed, even after the fixes! :P ).

I got a very tempting promo price coupon for 66% off in JF's February newsletter and would like to know if anybody is using and enjoying their Typhoon? Thanks!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Many views but no replies. I guess the initially poor reception this aircraft received pretty much killed it for the AVSIM crowd.

Well I went ahead to risked $12 (less $3.75 in points toward a future purchase). I have to admit, while the Typhoon has some issues, it's not completely awful. I've had some fun booting around it in and don't regret the purchase at a discounted price (I'd have been kind of PO'd if I'd paid full price though).

The exterior textures are fairly good. The VC isn't bad either - I've seen better, but I've seen much worse, a step up from the default aircraft IMHO. Sounds are okay and it actually flies quite nicely. The HUD is a disaster. I found it virtually unusable and switched it out for the Acceleration F-18 HUD. It's got a few other quirks which I'll live with, but it also has a few nice extras (like nice pilot animation and correct instrument display from exterior views) and it's a step up from the the only other Eurofighter I have (the Alpha version).

Anyway, it's a pity that Just Flight didn't tidy up the few problem areas that turn people off because it could have been a nice 'lite' add-on. Still, no regrets at this price.

Cheers!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Yes there was a lot of disappointment with this add on, I paid full price when it first came out, biggest problem for me is my frame rates jump all over the place with this aircraft as it does with first class simulations typhoon v2, yet some other high quality aircraft like vrs f18 the frame rates are 30 to 29.9 all the time locked at 30, unless in a heavy autogen area.

It is still the best typoon out for fsx at the moment, I just feel it was an opportunity missed by jf.

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

I'd have been kind of PO'd if I'd paid full price though

I did. I was.

The VC isn't bad either - I've seen better

Pretty much my feeling. Not bad, but not particularly good either.

it actually flies quite nicely

It's a beast performance wise. Pretty much in line with everything that I've read about this aircraft.

The HUD is a disaster

Absolutely. It was the single biggest turn off for me as it's the one thing you have to look through to fly the aircraft. I really can't understand how developers like Iris, Aerosoft, VRS and MilViz can do a properly collimated HUD that actually has the horizon bar on the horizon and a velocity vector that actually corresponds to the view outside, yet JF made a complete pig's ear of a HUD as part of a £25 (or was it £30, I can't remember?) payware package in 2013.

They did improve the HUD with the service pack but it's still horrible and not a patch on the ones from the other developers I mentioned.

However, JF did redeem themselves in my eyes with their new Canberra.

biggest problem for me is my frame rates jump all over the place with this aircraft

I've noticed some erratic FPS as well, but at least with DX10, it doesn't really affect my experience.

They did improve the HUD with the service pack but it's still horrible and not a patch on the ones from the other developers I mentioned.

I read about the improvements but all the new features in world don't help if you can't see it, read it and know which way your aircraft is actually flying. As I mentioned, I gave some authenticity and a useful feature (ILS cross bars, but they're available elsewhere), but by substituting the F-18 HUD, it's perfectly legible and usable now.

A question for you guys - does the 'TRK' (VOR) function in your autopilot do anything for you? The manual implies this should work but in my Typhoon, this button can not be activated.

Bump.

This a/c climbs and flies like a thousand rocket. Editing "Parasitic_drag" value in aircraft.cfg would help, so far, the values should be 2.32 from 1.0

Gorky Max

Though I´m very interested in modern militarty jets, after flying the VRS F/A-18, there´s just nothing to match.