Sign in to follow this  
Guest schofi

Where "best" to install addon mesh?

I have noticed some differences of opinion as to where to install mesh in FS2004.Can someone pease advise where it is "best" to install mesh - and why?Thanks Barry

I don't think there is a "best" way Barry. It's really just based on perference. Performance will be the same regardless. If you want to include in in the FS9 folder structure, install it in sceneryworldscenery. Or you can install it anywhere outside the FS9 folder structure and just point the scenery library to the folder(s) containing the mesh files. I like to keep it outside the actual FS9 folders as the mesh files are quite large and I only want to install them once. By keeping them in a folder structue separate from FS9 I never have to reinstall the mesh when I reinstall FS9 - I just point to it in the scenery library.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest deKoven

Being able to separate out the various scenery items is for YOUR convenience. The program doesn't really care where they're found. Thus, you could just dump everything in a single "bin" and proggie wouldn't mind at all. You, however, might just lose whatever hair you've grown when something goes wrong and you find incompatibilities. I have an AddOn Scenery folder as does everyone else. Under that folder I have several states, eg. Alaska, Washington, Canada, etc. I install into appropriate areas so that when updates come out or I have trouble with things I can find the pertinent folder right quickly. I noticed right away that Misty Fjords installs into its own folder instead of to the Addon Scenery folder. I hadn't known that that was possible (sheesh, deKe you ARE a dummy!) :D

Guest Ozzie

>Howdy,>>I too place my various add-ons into separate folders to>maintain full control over display priority and debugging.>>Steve Greenwood provides details about the different options>on his website: http://www.fs-traveler.com/tips-g.shtml>>Cheers, HolgerCheers Holger - it is a shame that at least one of the prime "suppliers" of this type of add-on downunder does not share your viewswhere there are "auto-installs" - I personally then make sure that they go to a "safe" place and then transfer them where I can "control" them - much like you appear to'Tis a shame that some other "respected" designers and suppliers of good quality add-ons "insist" on invoking their preferences on others with their "auto-installs"

As Garfield says sometimes, "I resemble that remark." :-)My "auto-installers" all offer the option of installing anywhere you want, the default being sceneryworldscenery . . .There is also a manually-installed version option for everything. On second thought, maybe I >don't< resemble that remark at all.:-)-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Guest schofi

Barry - G'day mate. Hope you don't mind a "whinging pom" chipping in, but as other posters have mentioned, it don't matter where you put mesh files, but it does matter what priority they have. That is, what place they have in the list of sceneries in "scenery.cfg". If the files are put in their own folder, they can then be added to your scenery.cfg in the usual way, and moved up or down the list as necessary.Some mesh files like to be near the bottom (low number), some, like high-res Alaska mesh, near the top (high number) so as not to conflict with "Misty Fjords" etc. (Contrary to conventional practice)Hope this helps,Brian