Sign in to follow this  
Griphos

DX10 water

Well, I took the plunge yesterday! And the DX10 waters, metaphorically speaking, are great! So happy with this upgrade to my FSX.

But the actual waters are a problem. One of the appeals to switching was the amazing water animation I've been seeing in recent videos. These were Default FSX water textures and animations in DX10. My problem is that I recently installed REX4, and I don't think I replaced the default textures before uninstalling and deleting REXE. So I think I have REX DX9 textures and animations backed up in REC4 as "default." (Yes, I'm a dummy...and I'm usually so careful about that kind of thing...but I sort of remembering thinking why would I ever need DEFAULT textures?!). They look familiar, and I see no whitecaps no matter how much I turn up the wind.

So, I'm wondering if I can get the proper DX10 animations with whitecaps if I just load REX4 textures and and animations with the DX10 settings in REX? Or should I try deleting the shader cache and re-running DX10Fixer? I don't want to mess things up, since FSX is better than ever now, but I sure want those nice water textures and animations.

Anyone know what files to replace for the default water textures and animations if I could find a set of default textures?

EDIT:  Well, loading REX4 texture and animations with DX10 settings didn't work.  Same glassiness, even with winds at 16 kts.  

If I delete the DX10 shaders, will they be rebuilt with the Fixer shaders, or will I need to re-run the fixer?  Or is that even a good idea?

Hey, Griph: Just start the controller, then uninstall the libraries - that will delete the DX10 shaders cache folder - then re-install the libraries. The DX10 Shaders cache folder will be rebuilt by FSX when the spinning aircraft happens. Do this at any time, but it won't do anything for this problem. If there's an entry into the "Effects" folder then the next time you start the Controller - a popup will ocurr announcing a change has ocurred, and you will have the opportunity to accept the change, at which time the shaders will be rebuilt.

Personally I've not found any REX texture which was better than AS2112's "Frequency" (even default "seems" better) and most REX water appears as too "glassy".

The initial backup (done by REX) is 118MB. I have it zipped ready if you need it, but it will take a time to get it posted to the DropBox......  :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Success!!!  I have water that looks like water!!  And it has whitecaps!!

As a long time sailor, and someone who flies over the coastal areas of the Gulf of Mexico sometimes in RL, the water in FSX has always been a stumbling block for me in the sim.  I've tried every texture and animation REX has ever done, and FSWC as well.  I find the REX4 animations better than anything else so far, but this default animation in DX10 is closer yet, by a good margin.  I'm happy.

Thanks to Paul (and Jose as well) for helping me recover from my own stupidity.  The backups are in several safe places now!

BTW, the default clouds and skies don't look half bad in DX10 either!  I know I won't regret getting REX4 recently, particularly as they never charged me anything to upgrade from my original REX purchase many moons ago, but I think I'll play around in default for a while. 

Success!!!  I have water that looks like water!!  And it has whitecaps!!

Life is good once again... B)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.