Sign in to follow this  

I turned off the popup free autogen

This afternoon I reinstalled FSX so I could compare it with P3D v2.1. I found out that you tend to forget things over time... I for instance forgot how smooth FSX runs with the DX10 fixer and the bufferpools tweak. I was actually shocked to see how much smoother FSX runs! And with autogen at Extremely dense too! P3D 2.1 stutters a lot more than I wanted to think... I also forgot how dull FSX looks out of the box: the colors and light in P3D is so much better. The VC-shadows in P3D blow the DX10 shadows out of the sky.

Overall I like the mood etc. in P3D 2.1 a lot more so I decided I'd rather stick with P3D, but those OOMs... they really spoil it. And I also like that Extremely autogen in FSX...!!! But then I thought: if I am so close to going back to FSX, why not make P3D bit more like FSX and disable the pop free autogen? The FTX NCA autogen in P3D pops in and out anyway. So I disabled the feature. And I also set autogen to Extremely dense instead of Very dense.

I just finished my first flight with these settings and I am happy to report that thinks looked great: autogen popup is of course obvious but the same as it is in FSX and not too bad (not as bad as I seemed to remember). Extremely autogen looks extremely good in P3D too! And apparently disabling popup free autogen is THE key to avoid OOMs because while this exact same flight gave me OOMs after 15 minutes with autogen at Very dense (flew it a few times and always had OOMs), I could finish the 40 minute flight now without an OOM and VAS steady at 3.4. (I flew the A2A C172.)

Of course it's a compromise, and a rather big one too, but for now I think I will stick with these settings. P3D just looks so much better: the only real drawback right now is that it's not as smooth as FSX. Hopefully LM will manage to remove the stutters (I still wonder what happened to the solution they found for that 'legacy stutter' because 2.1 only stutters more...!) I think I will have to fool around with AM and the fps setting some more to see if I can improve things somehow.

Interesting findings.  I might have to try a high speed flight with the popup-free autogen turned off and see if it helps performance, seeing as at high speeds it 'pops up' anyways (sometimes a few hundred feet in the air!). :lol:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Is this with the Veggie slider set to extremely dense aswell? The one that supposedly causes OOM's to occur fast? There seems to be so many different "fixes" floating around on various forums. I'll try this, no doubt. Thanks testing so many variables :) 

What is "popup free autogen"?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Is this with the Veggie slider set to extremely dense aswell?

Yes. But when you disable pop free autogen, you are in fact the FSX-autogen system, so you will see it pop up everywhere just as in FSX. Pop free autogen is a great feature but it also eats VAS.

What is "popup free autogen"?

It's the new P3D v2 system where autogen is steady within a large circle around your aircraft. You can turn this off in the Prepar3d.cfg (pop_free_autogen=o or 1 where 0 is off and 1 is on): turning it off gives you the old fashioned FSX autogen system.

BTW I didn't post this as 'the OOM fix', my post is more about making compromises and forgetting how good FSX was in certain regards, but it does help preventing OOMs because far less autogen is loaded into memory at any given time. Obviously pop free autogen looks a lot better but you have to make compromises... Last weekend I had autogen at Dense to avoid OOMs but now I managed to fly for 40 minutes without getting close to an OOM above FTX NCA: I am an autogen lover so being able to use Extremely dense again is great, even with popup...

EDIT

BTW I also had the radius slider at the highest setting (Max) but the next flight I will set it one notch lower (which still is Ultra) because with high settings the scenery loads a bit closer anyway. Maybe lowering this setting also helps a little.

Concerning VAS in my flight: halfway through it was at 3.4 or so, so I was expecting an OOM, but when I landed it was still 3.4 so at a certain moment is seems to stabilize, depending on how you tax your system.

Jeroen,

"You can turn this off in the Prepar3d.cfg (popup_free_autogen=o or 1 where 0 is off and 1 is on)"

I looked in my cfg file .. I see a different name:

[sCENERY]
POP_FREE_AUTOGEN=1
AUTOGEN_BATCH_LOD=2
AUTOGEN_TREE_LOD=2
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=2

Here it is pop .. not popup.

Is mine wrong?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Here it is pop .. not popup.

Is mine wrong?

Oops, bummer, my bad!!! I edited my posts (can't edit the topic title): it's POP indeed. Sorry for the confusion!

I could finish the 40 minute flight now without an OOM and VAS steady at 3.4.

That still seems perilously close and leaves little room for a spike, which seemed to plague me... I go be happily flying at 2.7 feeling invincible and then bang! it would suddenly fill, for no obvious reason, and I was out. By comparison FSX seems to stay between 2.3 – 2.7 for me.

Do the trees still do their flashing thing with Pop Free?... that bugs the hell out of me; if I'm flying over dense woodland I don't want half of them switching off... someone seemed to suggest this was an optimisation, but I find that hard to believe.

I do agree about the look and feel of P3D... it is different and very nice. I have spend some time today playing with SHADE and ENB {which I do very much enjoy} trying to get a similar feel, which I can't... having said that I can get FSX looking very beautiful in its own right. What has been nice is chucking back all my add-ons, FTX regions with freeware and payware airfields etc, and flying without a care. I hope LM achieve at least an FSX level of stability, which seems like a crazy thing to be aiming for.

And boy, is that half refresh rate vsync smooth... I do hope that can be used in P3D at some point too.

I may reinstall P3D next week and add just NCA at a test bed playground, and keep FSX for long, enjoyable and relaxed flying.

I will have to give this a try.  When I run autogen veggies at a higher setting that Normal, my VAS reading increases to the point of an oom.   This might be a good compromise.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

It would seem turning off the popup-free autogen does not fix the root cause of OOM's, which is that the terrain engine fails to unload scenery data when it becomes overloaded. However reducing the load on the terrain engine might be enough to work around the issue for some. This can be done by reducing settings, but turning off popup-free autogen is obviously another way.

Between the OOM's, XML issues and flickering trees, P3D 1.4 is still my sim of choice for now.

Edited by JimmiG

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Do the trees still do their flashing thing with Pop Free?... that bugs the hell out of me; if I'm flying over dense woodland I don't want half of them switching off...

Well, the 'fun' part is that you wouldn't really notice that because things pop up all the time LOL I have the idea though that once the autogen has been loaded, it stays there. I will have a close look at it during my next flight.

However reducing the load on the terrain engine might be enough to work around the issue for some. This can be done by reducing settings, but turning off popup-free autogen is obviously another way.

It is a workaround indeed but it's one that makes a HUGE difference, where other workarounds only help a little. As I said, with pop free autogen off I can use Extremely dense autogen and that's was absolutely impossible with any of the other workarounds (also because most workarounds involve lower autogen settings LOL)

The flight I tested this with in NCA was Ashland Mun-Parker (S03 to Ward (0O9), which has you flying over lots of trees and mountains all the time. After reaching Ward I didn't land but took a left turn (HDG around 130) which keeps you over mountains and trees all the time.

The more I read about P3Dv2, the more I fail to understand it's benefits. So, if I have P3Dv2, from what I have gleaned, I can run very few native addons, as many will not work 100% correctly, the water, in my experience, is far inferior to FSX, there seem to be many people reporting stuttering, the density of autogen is less than in FSX to get things to function correctly, OOM errors seem to be a daily occurrence for many and now the autogen pops up in the same fashion as with FSX  ???  !!! So can someone please explain to me the benefits that I will, supposedly, enjoy.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

The more I read about P3Dv2, the more I fail to understand it's benefits. So, if I have P3Dv2, from what I have gleaned, I can run very few native addons, as many will not work 100% correctly, the water, in my experience, is far inferior to FSX, there seem to be many people reporting stuttering, the density of autogen is less than in FSX to get things to function correctly, OOM errors seem to be a daily occurrence for many and now the autogen pops up in the same fashion as with FSX  ???  !!! So can someone please explain to me the benefits that I will, supposedly, enjoy.

Dynamic lighting, shadows, and pop-free autogen if you're willing to get more OOMs. Right now, everywhere else Prepar3D 2.1 is inferior to FSX. Whether future patches will make it a superior platform remains to be seen.

So can someone please explain to me the benefits that I will, supposedly, enjoy.

It looks better (light, shadows, mood, realism) but other than that the only advantage right now is that it's still being worked on... ^_^

Dynamic lighting, shadows, and pop-free autogen if you're willing to get more OOMs. Right now, everywhere else Prepar3D 2.1 is inferior to FSX. Whether future patches will make it a superior platform remains to be seen.

...and that's the irony I guess :mellow:

It looks better (light, shadows, mood, realism) but other than that the only advantage right now is that it's still being worked on... ^_^

But then there's the old adage of, you don't miss what you've never had! Don't get me wrong, I've parted with my cash and have P3Dv2 sat on my HD waiting to be installed, but I really can't be arsed. For me personally, it really does seem to be one great big hassle with very few benefits.

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776