Sign in to follow this  

Er... texture resolution...?

I must be missing something very obvious but during some testing I lowered texture resolution to the lowest possible setting, but... I didn't see any difference in P3D v2.1...? Not even after a reboot. Is this function broken? Or am I looking at the wrong things? I expected the VC of my A2A C172 to look like crap and the ground textures too but they don't. What am I missing here...?

Jeroen, what AGL are you using to test/compare the land textures. In my experience the 2048X2048 or 4096X4096 textures (heaven forbid! in 2.1) have never shown any detectable difference to 1024 X 1024 except very when near ground, so that is why I am happy with 1024 X 1024. Never tried 516 X 516, but these I expect would lack a bit of detail close up to ground.

As far as panels, the PMDG 737 in FSX shows no noticeable change in panel detail going down from 2048 X 2048 to 1024 X 1024, so most users went that route to help with the 737 memory footprint.

Rob

Edited by geolpilot

Robin Harris

Changing texture resolution in fsx.cfg will have no effect on virtual cockpit textures. If you want this, try to uncheck high resolution 3D VC in FSX menu. There was some threads about this last year, but it will be hard to find them now

Edited by B247NG

Jeroen, what AGL are you using to test/compare the land textures

I was flying close to the ground, 1000 feet at most.

Changing texture resolution in fsx.cfg will have no effect on virtual cockpit textures.

I am using P3D v2.1 and I used the option in the sim's options screen.  ^_^ Anyway, I did expect the ground textures to look worse but I can't see any differences.

Isn't it the case that lower texture resolutions can only be applied if the textures were created with those mips? I think I read that somewhere.

Also there will be an interplay with the Texture resolution slider on the Settings Scenery window for ground textures,

Rob

Robin Harris