Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

Grainy textures after last Nvidia driver update

Maybe on some cards it can or some people simply don't use SGSAA...

If you disable it, you should get rid of the anomalies, but the instruments and readings are shimmering and pixeling without it.

I use the older driver and everything is fine. Couldn't see any usefull changes in the new driver anyway.

To 'roll back' onto the older driver should I just reinstall it, or should I uninstall the current drivers first? 

Don't understand how new optimize drivers can make P3D worst...

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Because they don't have any optimisations for P3Dv2x... maybe nV will look at it at some point, and then you might see some improvements and the elimination of some of the bugs that have cropped up in the latest builds.

One issue that I see here is the the Original Poster needed to come up with a specific test using default planes and scenery so that others can carefully test before saying all is OK - or not. In this case, the OP later on posted a photo of the problem - not with a default plane though - and the rest of us could see what he meant by "grainier textures". I am using 334.89 and didn't notice any issues but I don't have the Airbus in the photo.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

To 'roll back' onto the older driver should I just reinstall it, or should I uninstall the current drivers first? 

As Todd said, just reinstall the old driver.

But attention! In the installation options you have to choose "advanced custom installation" not "express" and later on in the custom install options "perform clean install"!

(sorry, im on a german software, don't know the exact english phrases the installation routine uses ...)

Doing it this way the installation routine uninstalls the existing driver prior to installing the new one.

According to "optimization" .... there is none for p3d mentioned in the driverreadme...

and: a nvidia-chip is not a nvidia-chip is not a......  ;-)

One issue that I see here is the the Original Poster needed to come up with a specific test using default planes and scenery so that others can carefully test before saying all is OK - or not. In this case, the OP later on posted a photo of the problem - not with a default plane though - and the rest of us could see what he meant by "grainier textures". I am using 334.89 and didn't notice any issues but I don't have the Airbus in the photo.

After further testing it seems to be determined (the grainy textures) by the way shadows fall onto any aircraft (not just the airbus). If you disable shadows in the latest nvidia graphics drivers the problem is gone.

Edited by OmniAtlas

Where is the shadows option in the new nvidia drivers CP?

Thanks

jja

Shadows within P3D 2.x, not the nvidia CP. 

Does Lockhead even know about this problem? Is it being addressed? I don't see anyone complaining about it on their forum. 

The sparkling/grainy textures with shadows are caused by a combination of the latest drivers and Supersampling using nVidia Inspector. Using AA_MODE_REPLAY_SAMPLES_FOUR in NI (maybe other modes too) helps with the runway shimmers, and does not trigger the anomaly, but its not an affective mode with vegetation, which shimmers instead. The best solution is to go back to 332.21 and hope nVidia release a driver that is compatible with P3D across their card range... or not force AA modes through NI.

By the way: this setting: AA setting - AA_mode_method_supervcaa_64x_4v12
was a nice feature in fsx-DX9, but should be totally of no effect in p3d

Wrong here--SUPERVCAA_64x_4v12 absolutely works well in P3D2.x provided the AA Compatibility is set to DX1x Bioshock profile, at least in the former nV driver--I haven't installed the most recent WHQL to see if it still works well.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

The textures - flicker. Nvidia inspector problem?

I have the following settings

Antiaaliasing compatibility - (bioshock, bioshock 2)

Antialiasing mode - override any application setting

AA setting - AA_mode_method_supervcaa_64x_4v12

AA transparency SS - 4x supersampling

This method has allowed me to have AA within P3D 2.1.

Thanks very much OmniAtlas!

This solved my problem.  All aircraft showed glittering textures before I applied this fix.  For those not familiar, you need to download the Nvidia Inspector to apply these settings.  You can get it from Guru3D.  It allows access to the compatibility settings.  Also note I changed both the DX1x and normal compatibility settings.  It seems to need both.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/nvidia_inspector_download.html