Sign in to follow this  
ckelly14

Best FPS tweak for slow CPU and REX

Recently added REX to my set-up and having significant stuttering during the flight and low frame rates.  Significant slow downs when I notice REX is adding new data.  Would my best option be:

1. Go with one of the static REX themes without real time weather  2. Use the built in FSX weather generator.  Any suggestions/tweaks would be appreciated.  I know that I need to upgrade my CPU, but that requires a complete system overhaul, which I'm not quite up for.

Using:

Core 2 duo E6750 @3.0 MHz

GTX 570

4 GB RAM

Windows 7 pro 32

REX essenitals

Orbx PNW

Thanks.

Sorry, but from my own past experience you are fighting a looseing battle with that cpu and a 32 bit operating system.  Sorry, but facts are facts.  That system just will not satisfactorially handle fsx.

Something can be done, but you must upgrade to windows 7 64bit. Before my current system I had a much slower Core 2 and much weaker GPU then yours, and i managed to run a lot of addons like REX, Active Sky, NGX. 

You need to add a couple of tweaks in fsx.CFG and delete or rename default.xml in autogen folder. FSX will run smooth, but forget about addon airports(maybe you can try, i could't with my old system). If you decide to upgrade to Windows 7 64it and you need futher help, you can PM me or post here, i will help you with settings. I have a couple more interesting tips, depending on what you want to do, and how you want to use FSX

Although I do not have REX, I do run Ultimate Terrain X, Ultimate Traffic 2 and Active Sky 2012 and used to run an E6750 CPU.  The dual core CPU shows it's weaknesses when you start adding on programs to enhance FSX, but overclocking does help a little.  I had my E6750 stable at 3.6 GHz with an aftermarket cooler.  Upgrading to a Core2Quad Q9650 and overclocking it to 3.8 GHz really smoothed out the sim.

Edited by stans

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Unfortunately, upgrading to Windows 7 64 requires completely re-installing most programs, so if I am doing that may just consider whole system overhaul.  Not as much the money as it is the hassle and time. 

Might just bite the bullet and upgrade...

Buy a 2nd hard drive and double boot operating systems. Get an SSD for just Windows and FSX. You can find 120gb ssd on sale often.

Edited by AAL125

I have a blank extra drive.  Can I install FSX and Windows 7 64 bit just on this drive?  What is the keystroke command I need to press to choose the boot drive?

Should I do Windows 7 or 8.1?

Well, I bit the bullet (last system rebuild was 2008, so I deserved it!).

Purchased:

i5 4670 

Asus Z87 pro MB

8 GB Kingston 1600 DDR3

120 SSD

Windows 7 pro 64 bit

I will put the operating system and FSX on the SSD.  I assume I should install REX on this drive as well?

I would like to benchmark my system before and after.  Anyone know of any FSX benchmarks?