Sign in to follow this  
Guest JoeW

Fs9 and Windows SP2

Guest kurtj

I was wondering how all of you feel about the Windows SP2 and fs9. I am considering installing the SP2 because Cox has warned me about possible hackers trying to take over the computer and put viruses in etc. I am also having backup issues but that's another story which I will have to talk to tech support about before I even attempt to install the service pack.I was just wondering about problems and positive inputs about using fs9 and the service pack. What should I expect and are there other kinds of upgrades such as a newer version of direct x and videocard driver updates after the installation.Any comments are welcome. I would appreciated input.Thank You

Hi KurtI have been using SP2 when it became available and have had no problem with the FS2004 program.I also installed FS9.1 patch and everything still works as advertised.Take Care:Kenny G.

Service pack 2 has been a nightmare in the computers I have used it with. But anyway you can always uninstall it easily if it doesn

Guest bobsk8

There is a entire forum on this web site on this topic. I personally installed SP2 and it pretty well ruined the operation of MSFS, I had to uninstall as well as use system restore to get it working correctly again. No more Service packs for me. I use a good firewall, virus protect and don't open attachments.

I was reluctant like you but had to do it for other reasons. Never had a hitch and FS9 continued to work without problems.The only notable difference was SP2 has a security center which I had to become familiar with, and after that smooth as ever.But everyones mileage varies. If you currently have a good firewall and virus protection and maintain them up to date there is really no pressing need to install SP2. Cox is giving you bad adviceBill

Guest Paul Heaney

Using SP2 here with FS9.1 no problems at all.

Guest aca_dia

I waited until I was certain all of my software was SP2 compatible. I made the switch on all three of our computers with zero negative impact. I noticed no change with FS9 after going to SP2. I think people who had problems with SP2 and FS9 probably had some other software incompatibility that was slowing their machines down in general. That is just a guess, but everyone I know now is running SP2 now and no issues with FS9 if everything else is up to date.Douglas

No problems here but no benefits either. SP2 seems to be little more than an "improved" firewall and a bloated "Security Centre". But that's just my opinion :)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest GCBarni

> I am considering installing the SP2 because Cox has>warned me about possible hackers trying to take over the>computer and put viruses in etc. >>Any comments are welcome. I would appreciated input.>>Thank YouSorry, but this is just too much; I'm familiar with the way ISP's attempt to control their subscribers, but this is way over the top.Hackers don't "take over" computers nor do they "put viruses" anywhere.....but individual computer _owners_ surely do. It's up to _you_ to protect your PC.....not MS's; and you accomplish this through the use of constantly updated anti virus, anti worm, anti trojan, and anti spyware/adware programs; a competent firewall; and vigilant oversight of your internet activities.

AND by keeping your operating system up to date.The people screaming the hardest about how bad SP1 was and they'd never install it were the first to complain thereafter about how many holes there are in Windows that got their systems compromised. All holes fixed by SP1.Now with SP2 it's exactly the same thing again.

Guest bobsk8

>AND by keeping your operating system up to date.>>The people screaming the hardest about how bad SP1 was and>they'd never install it were the first to complain thereafter>about how many holes there are in Windows that got their>systems compromised. All holes fixed by SP1.>Now with SP2 it's exactly the same thing again.According to Microsoft, about 15% of people installing SP2 will have a problem with it. If I told you that I would take you flying in my Cessna and we had a 15% chance of crashing, would you go anyway?

Guest JoeW

I'm starting a new computer and am transfering all the stuff over. After I installed the operating system I got it on line and started downloading the updates. The XP disk I have is one of the first ones that were made and it really is an upgrade for ME and 2000. When the upgrades were installing, I noticed that the SP2 loaded first and then the SP1. Don't know yet what, if any, problems I might incur because of this. So far.... It's running fine.Joe W.