Sign in to follow this  
Manny

Where are the best places to get model aircrafts?

Go to waffle collectables or jetway models(google them). eBay is a good source too, but you have to be careful as sometimes sales can go bad. STAY AWAY from The Airplane Shop as they are horrendously overpriced.

Looking great!  Thanks for sharing the pics.

I've made several purchases from jetcollector.com  Only problem I encountered was it could take up to two weeks before they send it out.  I had to email them and ask about it.  Other than the long waiting period, I don't have any complaints.  They get rare models and prices are ok.

Other shops I purchase from would be thresholdaviation.com and aviationworld.net  I've only ordered online once from one of them.  Other times, I would go visit the shop to purchase because they're less than 10 mins from my house.  Always had good experience with both.

Neat stuff.  While I haven't gotten into full detail die-cast model such as what's been posted about on this thread, I have been collecting die-cast airplane 'toys' for awhile.  I have a few neat things, such as a Dinky Toys F-4K Phantom in US Navy paint (no idea of the scale, but it's quite large), a tiny little matchbox Seasprite, or (one of my favorites) a V-Tail Dinky Toys Beechcraft Bonanza.

I keep looking at the nicer die-cast display models, but it seems my little collecting hobby could start to get quite expensive if I were to do so!  I do eye up the various display models for sale in the Alberta Aviation museum giftshop whenever I'm in there perusing their latest used books and magazines, however.  There's a really nice CF-104 that I'm pretty sure I'll spring for one of these days.  ^_^

Other than my small (but neat) die-cast toy collection, the other aviation related collection I have is books; I've been amassing quite a library over the last few years.  Takes up a bit of space, but much less than models, and much cheaper to boot!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Go to waffle collectables or jetway models(google them). eBay is a good source too, but you have to be careful as sometimes sales can go bad. STAY AWAY from The Airplane Shop as they are horrendously overpriced.

What is your take on Gemini Jets?

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

What is your take on Gemini Jets?

It depends on the scale, and really from model to model. In 1/200 scale, they are great, They have a wide variety, quality control is usually pretty good, and the prices are pretty good. When comparing them to the other big players like IF200 (which are horrendously overpriced- no way I'm spending $150 on a piece of metal that looks like a 747) or Herpa (Inconsistent in terms of model realism and materials), Gemini comes out on top. In terms of all-plastic models, Hogan is the only real big player on the market but has some very nice models.

With 1/400, it's a little more varied. Gemini has some very good molds (767, A380, 737NG), and some bad ones (747, A320/330/340). The prices are good and the variety is great, and the regular monthly releases are a plus too. However, my vote for the best 1/400 models would go to Aeroclassics. They have a much more limited range and higher prices, but their A320/330/340 molds are superb. Another good one is Phoenix, but their A320 and A330/340 molds don't look quite right, and they tend to stick primarily with Asian carriers (as opposed to other manufacturers who are more diverse).

I have been collecting model aircraft for years, so if you have any more questions please let me know! (I am actually getting out of the hobby, and have >100 models looking for good homes).

It depends on the scale, and really from model to model. In 1/200 scale, they are great, They have a wide variety, quality control is usually pretty good, and the prices are pretty good. When comparing them to the other big players like IF200 (which are horrendously overpriced- no way I'm spending $150 on a piece of metal that looks like a 747) or Herpa (Inconsistent in terms of model realism and materials), Gemini comes out on top. In terms of all-plastic models, Hogan is the only real big player on the market but has some very nice models.

With 1/400, it's a little more varied. Gemini has some very good molds (767, A380, 737NG), and some bad ones (747, A320/330/340). The prices are good and the variety is great, and the regular monthly releases are a plus too. However, my vote for the best 1/400 models would go to Aeroclassics. They have a much more limited range and higher prices, but their A320/330/340 molds are superb. Another good one is Phoenix, but their A320 and A330/340 molds don't look quite right, and they tend to stick primarily with Asian carriers (as opposed to other manufacturers who are more diverse).

I have been collecting model aircraft for years, so if you have any more questions please let me know! (I am actually getting out of the hobby, and have >100 models looking for good homes).

Well, the only reason I'd asked is that you stated that the Airplane Shop is "horrendously overpriced." As I live twenty minutes away from one of their locations, that's generally where I pick up my models, and I find that their prices for the Gemini Jets models are the same prices as the prices on the Gemini Jets website. Of course, I have no experience with any of the other models they carry, so I couldn't comment there, but that's my experience with the Airplane Shop and Gemini Jets. Although I guess in my case, I don't have to pay for shipping and handling since I just drive over there, but I do have to pay the state tax.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Well, the only reason I'd asked is that you stated that the Airplane Shop is "horrendously overpriced." As I live twenty minutes away from one of their locations, that's generally where I pick up my models, and I find that their prices for the Gemini Jets models are the same prices as the prices on the Gemini Jets website. Of course, I have no experience with any of the other models they carry, so I couldn't comment there, but that's my experience with the Airplane Shop and Gemini Jets. Although I guess in my case, I don't have to pay for shipping and handling since I just drive over there, but I do have to pay the state tax.

Oh ok, I thought you were asking for advice on Gemini Jets in general. Yes, I know that the prices at the Airplane Shop are the same as the prices on the Gemini website, but those prices are still a good deal more than you will pay elsewhere. Take, for example, the recently released Qantas 767-300 in the 'Planes' livery. At the Airplane Shop it is $94(https://www.airplaneshop.com/productdetail.html?tablename=GEM200&id=325&PHPSESSID=50d06aea454f5dce1993d3e6e4c112df), while at Waffle Collectibles it is only $72(http://www.wafflecollectibles.com/1200_gemini_jets_qantas_airways_boeing_b_767-300_vh-ogg.html).

I understand what you are saying about shipping prices though. That is definitely a factor and I suppose it kinda evens out in the end. You're lucky that you live so close to a model shop! The nearest one to me is 8 hours away. 

Oh ok, I thought you were asking for advice on Gemini Jets in general. Yes, I know that the prices at the Airplane Shop are the same as the prices on the Gemini website, but those prices are still a good deal more than you will pay elsewhere. Take, for example, the recently released Qantas 767-300 in the 'Planes' livery. At the Airplane Shop it is $94(https://www.airplaneshop.com/productdetail.html?tablename=GEM200&id=325&PHPSESSID=50d06aea454f5dce1993d3e6e4c112df), while at Waffle Collectibles it is only $72(http://www.wafflecollectibles.com/1200_gemini_jets_qantas_airways_boeing_b_767-300_vh-ogg.html).

I understand what you are saying about shipping prices though. That is definitely a factor and I suppose it kinda evens out in the end. You're lucky that you live so close to a model shop! The nearest one to me is 8 hours away. 

All right, fair enough. Never even heard of Waffle Collectibles before until now, and I guess they do sell them cheaper than even Gemini Jets. But then having used the shipping calculator, when you start factoring in shipping costs, and possibly tax (I don't know if there's a sales tax involved with this one), suddenly the savings are pretty much gone. At that point, I would be better off just driving over to the Airplane Shop to pick one up with even the added opportunity of actually popping open the box to inspect it and make sure it hasn't been damaged before I get it (yes, this has happened before, and I remember when I opened up a DHL 767-300F right in front of the sales person, I picked it up to inspect it, and BOTH wings fell off), whereas if I were to order a plane online, I would never know if it was damaged until after I got it. Then you'd wind up having to send it back to get a new one, possibly having to pay for shipping for that as well. All that takes a fair bit of time, and for me, I'd rather not have to worry about that if I don't need to. But then again, that's just me. Obviously, everybody has their own opinions regarding the matter, and that's fine with me.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Models?

Now This is a model

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAOh2yd1K7k

Beautiful model, but dumber than dirt. You have the one guy starting up the engine(s) and two guys within four feet or so looking into the exhausts? Dumb. Anything could be picked up by the intake and launched as a projectile right into their mugs. Good way to lose an eye or two.

Beautiful model, but dumber than dirt. You have the one guy starting up the engine(s) and two guys within four feet or so looking into the exhausts? Dumb. Anything could be picked up by the intake and launched as a projectile right into their mugs. Good way to lose an eye or two.

Yes, they didn't follow basic safety procedures. That aside though the model is stunning!