Sign in to follow this  
twister1853

WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error

I've had a crash running FSX in which I got a blue screen with the message 'WHEA_Uncorrectable _Error' . I read elsewhere that this could be a very serious hardware problem (or a software one) .  My PC is a new Windows 8 computer about 4 months old.  What should be my next step to sort this problem out? Thanks. Ray

You had a Bug Check 0x124 error which was provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).  It is a very common report in this forum.  It usually indicates a driver for one of your pieces of hardware is corrupted or not installed properly or the drivers are out of date (most likely).  You can download a freeware program from the Internet that will scan your computer and look for outdated drivers for your hardware (Windows Update does not do this).  I use a program called Driver Scanner.  It's freeware until it finds the out-of-date drivers.  You can pay them a small registration fee and they will download and install the drivers or you can look at what drivers are out of date and do a Google search for them, download them and install them yourself.  You will be amazed (like me) as to the number of out-of date drivers. 

If this does not fix your problem, then you might look at your overclock or make sure all of your hardware is properly seated on the Motherboard.  Bad CPU or DRAM voltages will cause this error too. 

Any Blue Screen crash should be considered serious and corrected as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, I have at  your suggestion, downloaded Driver Scanner (DriverAgent) but it repeatedly crashes during a scan. Is there a way round this? Ray

Jim, I have at  your suggestion, downloaded Driver Scanner (DriverAgent) but it repeatedly crashes during a scan. Is there a way round this? Ray

I've never heard of that happening before but here's another website, maybe even better - http://www.drivers.com/

Actually, looking again, you downloaded Driver Agent.  Never heard of that program.  Here's driver scanner - http://www.uniblue.com/software/driverscanner/.  There are many of these programs throughout the Internet!!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Yes.  I made a mistake.  The problem for me is that other sites with similar names keep popping up and confusing the situation when I do a search.

Anyway, I've updated all drivers that required an update.  There were only a few, since I am using a very new PC.

So what  do I do now regarding the blue screen?   How would I find out if it was also a hardware problem and not a driver one?  Do I just wait and see if the blue screen happens again?

Ray

If you download and run BlueScreenView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html and post the results here, I might be able to tell you exactly what driver was the caused of the BSOD.  The items in pink in the crash report will tell you what modules were involved in the BSOD and it should give you a pretty good clue.  Since you installed new and updated drivers, you need to look at the latest BSOD as it could be completely different from the BSOD's before you updated your drivers.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim - Here are the lines you need (I think).  Ray

022214-6968-01.dmp    22/02/2014 16:46:26        0x00000124    00000000`00000000    ffffe000`00d39028    00000000`bf800000    00000000`00000124    hal.dll    hal.dll+35cdf                    x64    ntoskrnl.exe+14dca0                    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022214-6968-01.dmp    4    15    9600    297,616    22/02/2014 16:47:17    

ntoskrnl.exe    ntoskrnl.exe+1b7d41    fffff802`9547d000    fffff802`95bfe000    0x00781000    0x52718d9c    30/10/2013 22:52:12                        

hal.dll    hal.dll+35cdf    fffff802`9540e000    fffff802`9547d000    0x0006f000    0x523d5260    21/09/2013 08:01:36                        

There are a few things you can do to troubleshoot an 0124 BSOD -

• Update hardware drivers - you have done this. 
  • Check memory - run memtest86 or the Windows memory diagnostics.
  • Ensure your system is adequately cooled as overheating can cause this type of crash
  • Make sure your system is not overclocked.

Hal is the program that allows Windows to communicate with your hardware.  The ntoskrnl.exe is more related to memory.  There is nothing in these two files that can definitely tell us what your problem might be.  All I can say is that 0124 crashes are mostly a problem with the voltages of your CPU and DRAM (too high or too low).  If your system is overclocked, then you need to go into the BIOS and reset your overclock back to the default.  This should fix your problem.  If you are not overclocked, you should run a memory diagnostics - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/diagnosing-memory-problems-on-your-computer and the memtest86 utility to make sure your memory is not defective.  I would run the Windows diagnostics utility first as it will show you if there is a problem.  The memtest86 is more for testing for stability in an overclocked situation but it will find things that Windows diagnostics might not.  Lastly you can download the free version of Speccy http://www.piriform.com/speccy and it will give you an indication whether your system is overheating or not as it shows the temperatures of all of your components plus a green icon which shows it is in the good range.  With a new system, overheating is probably less likely but something you should check. out.

If not of the above works, then I strongly recommend you contact the manufacturer of your computer and, if you still have technical support where a technician comes to your house, I would use that.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim

Looks like I'm near the end of the line on this one. 

I purchased a PC with an Overclocked CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.440GHz (Haswell) (max 4.5GHz), specifically to run FSX.  I did not go into the BIOS.  The manufacturers, OverclockersUK, told me that the overclocking was done automatically, and only if necessary, when running a programme.  The CPU is liquid cooled and I run a Core Temperature routine which show the temperatures never above about 48C.

Since getting this PC, I have had FSX freezing and re-starting (not quite CTD) and I have posted here about this problem.  Could this be linked to the WHEA error?  It would be helpful to know this before I contact the manufacturers.

Ray

It can definitely be linked to the 0124 bug check BSOD.  If you system is still under warranty, I would contact the manufacturer and have someone come to your house and take a look at it.  BSOD's are serious and major damage can occur to your computer if the problem is not found and corrected.  But, there is no magic bullet to fixing your problem.  I would say that 90% of the time, the 0124 BSOD shows up because drivers are outdated (especially with a new system as hardware developers are constantly finding bugs in their hardware and issuing fixes).  I have definitely seen the 0124 bug show up when memory (RAM) in your computer is not properly configured (frequency/timings/voltages).  Too high or too low CPU voltages can cause this problem too.  In fact, the manual for BSODS codes for Overclockers has determined that "0x124 = increase/decrease QPI/VTT first, if not increase/decrease vcore...have to test to see which one it is" - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?266589-The-OverClockers-BSOD-code-list.  Now, if the QPI/VTT are set properly, then it has to be your drivers or a piece of hardware is failing.  Most of the time when someone has an 0124 BSOD, it is fixed with a driver update so I am totally shocked we are still discussing this problem.  I had another UK friend here in the CTD Forum, Ray Proudfoot, who had a problem with his ASUS MB that came from OverclockersUK (almost positive it came from them).  He called and they sent him a new Gigabyte MB.  Of course, if you are not technically knowledgeable of replacing MB's and other system components, then you should probably arrange to return the computer for a new one or, like some companies do, have them send a representative to your house to check out your system.  Show them this post.

Since getting this PC, I have had FSX freezing and re-starting (not quite CTD) and I have posted here about this problem. Could this be linked to the WHEA error? It would be helpful to know this before I contact the manufacturers.

I doubt it.  FSX freezing and restarting are caused by many other things as indicated in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  High settings or a bad tweak cause freezes.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Jim

Thanks for the very prompt reply.  I must make it clear that I have only had a BSOD once.  So I can't say that updating the drivers has not worked.  The only reason I keep coming back to the forum was my concern that a hardware bug may still be lurking in the PC. You confirmed that I was wise to be concerned.  I'll get on to the manufcturers and will show them this post.

Best regards.

Ray

Hi Jim

I have contacted the manufacturers of my PC and have given them my problem.  Their immediate response, without having seen your post, was to remove the overclocking.  I asked why, and they said that their settings for overclocking can be percular to a particular build and for me to try it for a while with no overclocking.  If everything was OK, then they will reset the overclocking.  So far, things have been OK.  I have subsequently emailed them your comments and asked for them to be taken onboard before re-overclocking and to get back to me.  No response yet.  So I will see.

Best regards.

Ray

Hi Jim

I have contacted the manufacturers of my PC and have given them my problem.  Their immediate response, without having seen your post, was to remove the overclocking.  I asked why, and they said that their settings for overclocking can be percular to a particular build and for me to try it for a while with no overclocking.  If everything was OK, then they will reset the overclocking.  So far, things have been OK.  I have subsequently emailed them your comments and asked for them to be taken onboard before re-overclocking and to get back to me.  No response yet.  So I will see.

Best regards.

Ray

That's good news in that you might have the problem fixed.  If the CPU voltages just get too high or too low it can cause the crash and that might be what happened during the "automatic" overclocking.  I usually suggest one go back their normal or default settings in the BIOS to see if you have a bad overclock and that fixes a lot of problems.  Whenever I get a crash, the first thing I do is reset my overclock to the default of the optimal default settings.  Crashes go away so I know exactly the cause of the problem.  My new ASUS Z87 board allows me to leave all of my overclock Profile to XMP, all settings at Auto and all I have to do is set the overclock cores to 42 and the ASUS BIOS does the rest.  Sometimes a glitch occurs after a week or month and I have to go in and reset everything again.  FSX will actually run very well at the default 3.5GHz settings as long as you don't turn all your fsx settings up to max. 

I hope the solution to your problem has been found!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

There are a lot of reasons behind the whea uncorrectable error. It actually comes with a check value of 0x00000124. It’s not an ordinary error because most of the time it due to hardware failure which is not able to correct by windows itself. Some causes are listed below: i- Due to corrupted configured device drivers ii- Faulty RAM or Hard Drive which related to hardware. iii- Windows update failure iv- Over-clocking the CPU might increase the amount of heat produced which cause your PC to destabilize got this error.