Sign in to follow this  

One of my 4years old Viewsonic 27" died and i need replacement.

Bought two new 27" Viewsonic but now i`m missing the height of the old ones.

The new generations displays don`t have the height i love.

Now my question is,would it be better to buy one 40" or 42" TV display for FSX?

Or are TV`s not so good as PC monitors?

Mike

I've tried three or four TV's in sizes 36"-46" and never liked using them as monitors. I think a TV is designed to be sat at least 6ft away from, whereas a monitor is designed to be viewed from much closer.

Perhaps subjective on my part, but a TV is never as good as a decent quality monitor that's been properly calibrated.

FWIW I recently retired my old Dell 2707WFP 27" 1920x1200 display for an Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 PLS panel and it's the best monitor I've ever owned. My flight sims look great and I'm very happy with it.

I've tried three or four TV's in sizes 36"-46" and never liked using them as monitors. I think a TV is designed to be sat at least 6ft away from, whereas a monitor is designed to be viewed from much closer.

Perhaps subjective on my part, but a TV is never as good as a decent quality monitor that's been properly calibrated.

FWIW I recently retired my old Dell 2707WFP 27" 1920x1200 display for an Asus PB278Q 27" 2560x1440 PLS panel and it's the best monitor I've ever owned. My flight sims look great and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for reply.

I thought the same as you described it.

Better i try to accept the less height.

Mike

I've been using a 42" Toshiba HDTV at 1920x1080x32 via HDMI for the past two years. It's wall mounted and I sit about 3.5' from it.

I have a 27" monitor just to the left and frankly aside from the obvious size difference, the 42" is just as crisp, clear and jaggy-free as the smaller "real PC monitor..." :Applause:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have an older 42" HDTV as my sim monitor (replaced 3 19" monitors and triple head to go.  One of my monitors died and I had the HDTV sitting around so I decided to try it).  The colors on the HDTV aren't as good as the monitors but this may be because it's older.  Also the view of the VC isn't as wide by a bit.  Having said that, I love it.   Everything on the screen is about "real size" and the framerates are better than having 3 monitors.

Edited by Gregg_Seipp

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Thanks Bill and Greg.

Tomorrow i get two other monitors from amazon--LG`s 27".

I will try them and see,what to do.

Mike

I have just gone from a 32" LG to a 42" LG TV and I would not go back to a monitor.  HDMI for computor, USB ports for charging mobile phone while using FsMovMap and trust me, todays TV's are as good, if not better than a monitor.

When I got the 32", I'd had a 19" monitor and to be far I had had doubts about it.  You soon get used to it and when you look at the 19", you think, how the devil did I manage on that.  Now I'm on the 42"............Happy as a pig in.............well you get the idea.  And what your forgetting is, it's not only FS that looks good, Call of Duty is like.........wow.

My only regret........I should have gone for the 3D version. :rolleyes:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz. RAM 32 GB 1 500GB SSD and 1 2TB HDD NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11GB WATER COOLED

I have just gone from a 32" LG to a 42" LG TV and I would not go back to a monitor.  HDMI for computor, USB ports for charging mobile phone while using FsMovMap and trust me, todays TV's are as good, if not better than a monitor.

When I got the 32", I'd had a 19" monitor and to be far I had had doubts about it.  You soon get used to it and when you look at the 19", you think, how the devil did I manage on that.  Now I'm on the 42"............Happy as a pig in.............well you get the idea.  And what your forgetting is, it's not only FS that looks good, Call of Duty is like.........wow.

My only regret........I should have gone for the 3D version. :rolleyes:

Thanks Moody,

only FSX and surfing---nothing else.

Will see tomorrow how the LG`s looks like.

Mike

After a few weeks of using two 27" LG`s i gave them back and have now two 32" LG`S LN5406.

That is the size i wanted to have.

They have several picture modi and i must try to find the right one .

Now i have again four weeks to test them.

Mike

I've tried several times to use 32 inch to 40 inch tv's for FSX as monitors...the picture quality is terrible compared to my 27 inch HP monitor so I always return the tv's. I still haven't figured out a way to get a bigger picture without buying a $1,000+ monitor.

I've tried several times to use 32 inch to 40 inch tv's for FSX as monitors...the picture quality is terrible compared to my 27 inch HP monitor so I always return the tv's. I still haven't figured out a way to get a bigger picture without buying a $1,000+ monitor.

Yesterday i thought the same,Phillip.

Today i took the time to set up one TV for FSX and i now have a great picture.

I really cannot see any difference to an PC Monitor.

There are so many display options to set.

Tomorrow i will setup the second TV for surfing,mails etc.

These LG`s seems to be great and they only cost 275€ each.

Mike

guess most of what needs to be said, has been........but, for the record, I have a 37" Westinhouse monitor in tucson but a 50"LG TV back in Mpls...........the westy is better resolution, but way too small when you get used to the big one!.........both are GREAT for ready Mails and posts, would never go back to tiny screens......If you use Costco, you can buy a 50/55" and try for a couple weeks, then take back................(I actually tried four types and sizes, a bit of work, but worth it)..................B42L8

I bought a Sony 32" LCD TV with 1920x1080 as an upgrade from a Dell 2407 24" 1920x1200 monitor.

It took a lot of adjusting of the many options before I got a picture I was happy with. I sit around 3ft away from it and even FS Labs ConcordeX panel is easily readable.

No regrets and the 1920x1080 resolution means fps stay higher than 2560x1440.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Call me crazy or something else,but i`ve returned the two 32" TV`s.

After one week with them i deciced that they are not so usuable as i thougt before.

Now i found "my" monitors----two 27"Asus VN279QLB.

I connected them,switched them on-----and only WOW!

There was nothing to adjust,simply excellent out of the Box.

But i`m happy,that i tried several monitors to see the differences.

Mike