Sign in to follow this  
ap1

Need help flying IFR in FSX with default boeing 737-800

Hi, I've been flying in FSX for some time, but I've always wanted to know how to fly IFR better in FSX.  I'm not interested in buying any payware addons like PMDG for example or other things.  I want to have some realism but not try to have things that challenging.  Also, do you recommend for me to use the FSX ATC to fly IFR, or just to navigate my own.  And, if you could please, try to give me a tutorial of some sort whether typing it here or a source for my question above.  In the end though, my goal is to have fun flying and try to have some realism flying IFR with the default 737.  The main things I need help with are creating a flight plan, and also where do I get a flight plan from somewhere online likes simroutes or flightaware, or the default planner.  Because I don't want to have really download anything or buy something.  To me, it must be possible to fly a simple IFR flight again with some realism but not have to buy anything or download anything.  Oh, and the last thing I probably need is to have help with approaches and selecting approaches.  But the main thing is, I would like to fly IFR flights in FSX with the default 737 with some realism but not buying anything or downloading anything.  Thanks so much in advance.  BTW, I love aviation and flight sims.  And FSX is great even though Microsoft doesn't develop it anymore.  LOL.  And if my English is bad, sorry about that, and sorry if I was maybe repeating things above.   

If you want to fly in the default 737, without any downloads or addons, I would use the default ATC. It will give you a good start, and get some familiarity with IFR procedures. Regarding flight planning, using flightaware might be useful, but I think you could flight plan with the FSX flight planner.

rob

Learn to fly instrument with the default Cessna 172. It has everything needed for blind flying. Download PlanG v3 (free) so that you can make and print off a flight plan. Insert the individual vor intersections, their frequency and bearing from the VORs: use in cahoots with the DME, use your ADF's for secondary guidance, finally note down your destination ILS, it's frequency and bearing. Last - create your own foggy weather down to 1/4 or 1/2 mile visibility. Then go over the plan in your mind while sitting on the ground, setup your vor 1 & 2, your ADF and a/p before you take-off. Flying blind demands all af these inputs if you want to learn how to fly blind. Here is one of the best guides in the hobby for learning IFR.

OR...

Here are a series of short flights around the Pacific North-West. Just unzip and print each one and hang it on your knee, desk, yoke, or whatever, so you have it in front of you at all times.

It's been a while since I looked at these, so there might be some inaccuracies here and here, but the first two have some pretty decent "how-to" info which will enable you to do the rest with out more coaching.

Have fun!

All the best,

pj

Edited by Paul J

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Rob, thanks for the reply.  I actually have been flying on FSX for a while, and have used the default ATC a lot too.  I don't think the ATC is that realistic unfortunately.  The main thing is that I would like to have somewhat of realistic experience with the default airplane.  And also, if you can use sids and stars with the default 737 I would like to learn how.  I do know most about FSX, but lately I've been getting stuck, as to how I can have a more realistic experience with FSX since what I've been doing now is just using the default flight planner select high altitude airways, and off I go.  I use the ATC for the flight too and let them vector me in.  The vectors to my taste are very bad and the pattern they make is way too wide.  So yea, I guess what I'm asking is how can I make the IFR flights I do more realistic?  Thanks.

Well try this website http://www.simroutes.com/fb2/Details.aspx?PlanID=6256%C2'>

If you look up the chart for a given SID or STAR, you can always add the waypoints into the plan. I haven't flown the default 737 since fs2004 so I can't comment on how that's done anymore.

As far as ATC, everyone here suggests using vatsim or VoxATC for atc reality.

rob

Just to add something - on default Boeing it will be harder than on any other with working fmc ;)

Just to add something - on default Boeing it will be harder than on any other with working fmc ;)