Sign in to follow this  
Flyer10

P3DV2.1 Stutter 100% Cured!

If you can set you monitor refresh rate to 29hz then your stutter problems are over!

If some has already posted this sorry!

1. Display setting can be anything you like so long as you can maintain 30FPS.

2. Vsync on, Triple Buffing enabled, target Frame Rate 30

3. In the Nvidia Control panel set you refresh rate to 29hz.

NvidiaInspector has nothing to do with this so make sure you are not locking the frame rate or setting 1/2 refresh rate in NvidiaInspector

when you this.

If you cannot set your refresh rate to 29hz, try 59hz and 60FPS.

Here is a video on Google drive. Streamed you will see some stutters.

For real proof download the MP4 and playback on your own machine.

You can count the video generated stutters on your fingers in this 5 or 6 minute clip.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4aX5Q3-OT6kRTc0RHU3R2xUdVE/edit?usp=sharing

I have 100% eliminated stutters at very high setting doing this.

Edited by Flyer10

Sorry, I'm a little lost. I was always under the impression that the refresh rate is governed by the monitor and has nothing to do with the GPU control panel... (?)

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I don't know but it works!

EDIT: don't force your monitor to an unsupported refresh rate! You could damage it!!!!!!!

Edited by Flyer10

Sorry, I'm a little lost. I was always under the impression that the refresh rate is governed by the monitor and has nothing to do with the GPU control panel... (?)

You can force lower refresh rates on a display in the Nvidia control panel and the AMD Catalyst Control Center.

I posted some information about it in response #94 on page 4 of this thread -

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/434948-p3dv21-stutter-or-no-stutter/page-4

and page 5 of this thread -

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=5533.4

Downloaded the mp4 file and I have to say thats pretty darn smooth. I get some stuttering, nothing too annoying but still theres room for improvement on my end. I'll give this a shot although I think I'll have to go the 59hz route.

Downloaded the mp4 file and I have to say thats pretty darn smooth. I get some stuttering, nothing too annoying but still theres room for improvement on my end. I'll give this a shot although I think I'll have to go the 59hz route.

If you can't force a 29Hz or 30Hz refresh rate then using 59Hz is pretty much a waste of time. If you can maintain a consistent 60 fps and your display runs at 60Hz the v-sync option in Prepar3D will be your best option.

Do some research on your monitor! A storm in tea cup is developing about none native refresh rates potentially damaging monitor and caution is advised! But we do the same everyday overclocking our computers, right? Some are saying its only a problem if you set a higher refresh rate than the native but others are saying its a bad idea to force a non native refresh rate whether it is higher or lower! So caution is required.

Refresh rate 29hz and Locked FPS 30 does completely eliminate stutters form P3DV2.1 and since it is 30FPS and not 60FPS it allows much higher display setting on any hardware so long as you can maintain 30FPS.

It nails FSX. IMO it is clearly smoother than the 1/2 refresh rate locked to 30FPS in FSX!

If you can't force a 29Hz or 30Hz refresh rate then using 59Hz is pretty much a waste of time. If you can maintain a consistent 60 fps and your display runs at 60Hz the v-sync option in Prepar3D will be your best option.

You still need to set V-sync ! That's not the point. The point is that 59hz at 60FPS with setting that will maintain 60FPS is smoother that 60hz at 60FPS. although I have not tried it I am willing to beat at setting that will maintain 60fps locked setting your monitor to 59hz will deliver 100% smoothness i.e. stutter free :biggrin:

Edited by Flyer10

Isn`t this technically the same as locking your sim to an updaterate about 3 fps higher than your monitor`s set refreshrate.

Edited by StoreyedTrain

Isn`t this technically the same as locking your sim to an updaterate about 3 fps higher than your monitor`s set refreshrate.

I don't know! It works perfectly at least on my setup :biggrin:

What's more I tried a monitor refresh rate of 25hz and locked FPS to 26FPS and it is just a smooth 29/30 but allowed me to maintain 25FPS with medium shadows. I could only get 29 FPS Low shadows without reducing other display setting.

More importantly I would love to ask one of the ACES dev team if FSX was designed to run this way because I have never seen an AI road vehicle move smoothly along the road despite having a perfectly smooth SIM. They always jerked along but not with a refresh rate of 25hz and locked 26fps! they move perfectly smoothly along the road. NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE!!!! Its like it was designed to run that way :biggrin:

The point is that 59hz at 60FPS with setting that will maintain 60FPS is smoother that 60hz at 60FPS.

I did try it and it isn't any better than 60Hz/60 fps, it was actually worse on the one display I tried it on. 30Hz/30 fps also works for me as long as you double check the v-sync option in Prepar3D.

More importantly I would love to ask one of the ACES dev team if FSX was designed to run this way because I have never seen an AI road vehicle move smoothly along the road despite having a perfectly smooth SIM. They always jerked along but not with a refresh rate of 25hz and locked 26fps! they move perfectly smoothly along the road. NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE!!!! Its like it was designed to run that way

Have you ever seen X-Plane 10 run using this method? If you want to see the ultimate in fluid game play from flight sim try running FS2004 or aerofly FS running at a consistent 60 fps with v-sync enabled.

Matrox TH2Go has an option of 50hz output. With this option selected, when I choose 60fps in FsX (with vysnc is on of course), fps goes up to only 50fps and it's super smooth. 30fps and 1/2 refresh rate vsync doesn't work for me. Same is true for P3d too. This give me 10fps advantage but still it's impossible to keep 50fps over cities.

Doesn't running at 30hz give lots of input lag?

No issues with that when flying/landing etc?