Sign in to follow this  
neil0311

Megascenery Earth 2.0 Georgia and Ultra Res Atlanta anomoly

I have both MSE 2.0 Georgia and the Atlanta Ultra Res city package. The ultra res city is at a higher priority in the scenery.cfg, and I can see the higher res area.

What happens...only when both packages are enabled together...is that areas of water (rivers, lakes) show the lower resolution MSE 2.0 Georgia bleeding through. It looks like there is a haze over the water areas, which you can see well from a top down view or just flying around, but if you look more closely, it's actually the lower resolution textures with the color balance being slightly lighter. You can look at roads and buildings and they are different as you get to the border of water.

Is there a way to correct? I thought the two packages were supposed to work together without issue?

Edited by neil0311

Does it look anything like this?

NearLakeland-L.jpg

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Does it look anything like this?

NearLakeland-L.jpg

No. It's not blocky like whole tiles showing up like that. It's just over rivers and lakes, as if the water masking is messed up. I'll try and post a screenshot.

Hopefully you can post a screenshot.  I use the following host to upload my images and then embed them here - http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/.  Once you upload the image to their website, you copy the BBCode and paste it here.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hey fppilot,

I have that problem,just thought it was poor imagery.

Is it more sinister and if so,how can I cure it.

Dave

Edited by davenicoll

I'm not an expert developer, nor the developer of MSE, but I think this happens because of the transparency layer associated with the watermasking (possibly not the best explanation right there) that "bleeds" through whatever scenery is sitting underneath the scenery layer holding the transparency layer.

It seems a little odd though that the MSE 2.0 and Ultra-Res textures wouldn't line up exactly in this case, unless of course the geodata associated with the Ultra-Res imagery is not as accurate as it should be (or for that matter it could be the MSE state imagery with the problem?). This goedata might be associated with the collection of the imagery and possibly difficult to correct pre-generation of the photoreal product. I am sure if a good dev reads this thread, I will be corrected if anything is wrong.

But, if you isolate the MSE 2.0 state textures (BGL files)  that cover that particular area, and disable them (or move them out of the folder that FSX reads them from), then that is the likely solution here.

If in fact what you are seeing bleeding through is default FSX textures, then that is a different story and more difficult to fix, for reasons mentioned numerously in other threads.

If you can post up a screenshot of what you are seeing, that would be ideal.

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

Hey fppilot,

I have that problem,just thought it was poor imagery.

Is it more sinister and if so,how can I cure it.

Dave

This is for Dave,

I found an installation issue for UltraRes Orlando.  I downloaded all files into a unique directory and used the MSE2 auto installation tool to install Orlando.  I dug into my directory/file structure tonight and found an issue.  In the OrlandoUltraRes folder, after installation, I found two subfolders.  One was named "Scenery", and had most of the .bgl files.  But there was another folder that was named "Sceenry".  That is NOT a misspelling on my part.  That is explicitly what it was named.  It was named Sceenry and had a handful of .bgl files in it.  It had to be created during the MSE auto installation process.  In that process the user only selects the zip files to include and the auto installer does the extractions and executes the .exe files.

I moved those files to the Scenery folder.  Then I stared FSX and went into the Scenery Library.  I deselected both MSE2 Florida and MSUR Orlando and saved settings.  Then I went back into the Scenery Library and selected both, then saved settings again.  The result is that the irregular pattern in the vicinity of Lakeland was gone.  Now what I see is are the edges of a square or rectangular  sectional area.  

Now.  There is a pronounced depth of color difference between MSE2 Florida and MSUltraRes Orlando.  MSUR Orlando is deeper in color and significantly brown in comparison to MSE2 Florida.  

Unfortunately, the end of what MSE staff used for the Orlando sectional chops off the west end of KLAL R27 (Lakeland, Florida) as you can see in the distance behind the airplane in this screen shot.  Too bad they didn't notice this and extend the area another mile of so.

Edge%20of%20MSUltraRes%20at%20KLAL-L.jpg

Here is a screen shot flying south from Lakeland (KLAL) along the western border of the Orlando Sectional area, and MSUltraRes Orlando.  Note the difference in color and depth of color.

S%20of%20KLAL%20MSE2%20MSURorl%281%29-L.

Here is a screen shot over only MSUltraRes Orlando flying east over Interstate 4 about 5 miles W of Disney World.  Note this looks OK as there is no border with MSE2 that is visible from this positon.

MSURes%20Orl%20I-4%20eastbound-L.jpg

Here is a screen shot from over Daytona.  This is the NE corner of the MSUltraRes Orlando.  Note that the airport KDAB and adjacent Daytona speedway are part of a freeware scenery that I have installed.

MSUR%20Orl%20NE%20Corner%20near%20Dayton

This shot is flying west from Daytona toward Ocala along the north edge of the MSUltraRes Orlando scenery.  

MSUR%20Orl%20NW%20corner%20near%20OCF-L.

I want to point out here that I flew today from Ft Myers, Florida, to Cobb County, Georgia (KRYY) and crossed the border between Florida and Georgia.  I had both Florida MSE2 and Georgia MSE2 loaded and could note no difference in color or depth between those two MSE2 states. Here is an image from over that border:

MSE2%20Florida%20Georgia%20border-L.jpg

Finally, here is an image from over Haines CIty, Florida, about 10 nm east of KLAL and well within the borders of MSUltraRes Orlando.  Scenery looks fine.  The only real issue is the differential between MSE2 Florida and MSUltraRes Orlando.

MSUR%20Orl%2010%20NM%20E%20of%20KLAL-L.j

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Sorry it took so long to get back to get some screens posted. This is with MSE 2.0 Georgia AND Ultra Res Cities Atlanta both enabled in the scenery.cfg. The ultra res Atlanta is at a HIGHER priority to the MSE 2.0 Georgia.

As you can see, there is some kind of haziness that appears over the rivers and lakes. If I disable one or the other (Atlanta or Georgia package), this effect goes away. It only shows up when BOTH are enabled.

http://imageshack.com/a/img842/6751/w6i2.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img27/7562/nfx0.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img203/8601/a2ns.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img547/82/pnzo.jpg

PCAviator, can you please comment?

Hi Frank,

The coverage area for the ultra-res cities is set to match almost identically to the Terminal Chart coverage area for that city.

Regarding the color differences, this is due to using a different set of textures sourced from a different supplier to the original MSE product. The Ultra-Res textures are also mostly taken in Winter, and hence you get less green, and more brown textures of land and, most noticeably, trees. This is the reason for the color differentiation between the two products - different source data.

Neil0311, I don't know whether I have ever had Ultra-Res Atlanta and MSE 2.0 Georgia loaded and running at the same time. Those screenshots do look odd however. Naturally this shouldn't look like that unless there is some kind of bug.

Can I ask if you attempted to apply the recommended graphics card settings and tweaks as outlined in the MSE 2.0 User Guide?

Dean

Hi Frank,

The coverage area for the ultra-res cities is set to match almost identically to the Terminal Chart coverage area for that city.

Regarding the color differences, this is due to using a different set of textures sourced from a different supplier to the original MSE product. The Ultra-Res textures are also mostly taken in Winter, and hence you get less green, and more brown textures of land and, most noticeably, trees. This is the reason for the color differentiation between the two products - different source data.

Neil0311, I don't know whether I have ever had Ultra-Res Atlanta and MSE 2.0 Georgia loaded and running at the same time. Those screenshots do look odd however. Naturally this shouldn't look like that unless there is some kind of bug.

Can I ask if you attempted to apply the recommended graphics card settings and tweaks as outlined in the MSE 2.0 User Guide?

I'm running the tweaks with a few innocuous exceptions like using 16x anisotropic instead of 8x. If there was an issue with my settings, then the same anomaly would appear with JUST the Ultra Res Atlanta, or JUST the MSE Georgia. The issue only appears with BOTH of them enabled. AND....it's only an issue directly over water, not random areas.

I'm not an expert at photoscenery, but I'm pretty good at logical thinking. This appears to be some kind of conflict with the water masking or something specific to two photoscenery areas enabled for the same area and the water masking.

neil0311,

Yes I am thinking its a watermasking issue. Possibly the same thing where default scenery can bleed through MSE scenery due to different land data, default being less accurate and hence gets loacted in watermasked areas and bleeds in where the more accurate MSE textures are geographically contracted around the water bodies (as in the real world).

I am going to try to find time in the next few days to load these titles up and see if I can replicate the issue. I know I had some watermask issues (manifesting as color variations) with MSE NY and NY Ultra-Res installed which only appeared around the edges of water bodies, but not anything like what you are showing in your shots, but the Atlanta/Georgia combo could be different. I will find out and post back here as soon as I can get these loaded on my home PC.

Dean

Hi Neil,

Still haven't had a chance to try this as yet, but I haven't forgotten!

With the kids back at school and sports starting up again, I barely have a chance to fly of late.

I'm trying to find time this week to get all that reloaded and see whats happening with that on my PC.

Dean

No worries. Just wanted to check since the forums were down for a few days.

I also found some anomalies in the Philadelphia area as well on the Delaware River. It's as if some of the water is showing as photos and some is showing as FSX water. Water seems to be an issue, at least on my system.

Just picked up Tampa and Orlando this evening, so I'll keep busy with them. I have lots of real world time in Florida flying Skyhawks out of Clearwater, so should be nice. Great place for photoscenery.

Hey Neil0311 and PCAviator,

I just bought the Georgia Mega Scenery and the Atlanta Ultra Res. I installed the ultra res first and everything was working perfect. Then I installed the whole state of Georgia and every lake or river inside the boundaries of the Atlanta Ultra Res are showing the textures of the standard full state and not the ultra res textures. Unfortunately since they are so different it sticks out like a sore thumb. Just thinking about this logically like you said, I think the best solution would be to uninstall the Georgia MSE 2.0 that lays beneath the Ultra Res Scenery. Maybe someone can let us know exactly what tiles overlap and we can try that out by just removing the overlapping tiles. It should fix the problem just fine as long as the tiles overlap perfectly on the outside edge of the Atlanta TAC area. Any thoughts?