Sign in to follow this  
woodhick

FTX Vector Purchase?

I am starting a complete reinstall of my FSX programming.  I have long been a satisfied user of UTX from Flight1 but am also a great fan of things Orbx.  I had promised myself that when the day came for a reinstall of FSX that I would move to FTX Global Vector for roads, rivers, coastlines, etc.  Can I get a few comments about FTXGV vs UTX?  The good, the bad, and the hopefully not so ugly?  Do I wait for FTXGV 1.1 to be released?

Hi Dan,

I'm in the same position - pondering whether to buy Vector yet (as a keen FTX Global user).

What I've heard so far is that v1.0 of vector requires you to have a global add-on mesh (like FS Global), otherwords all of your field elevations will be wrong.

This might influence your decision to go with v1.0 or not.

I do use FS Global, but still think I will probably wait until v1.1 of FTXGV is released, just to know it's been tidied up.

Edited by Q_flyer

Ahh, thanks Dave.  I'm probably going to treat myself to FSGlobal mesh at the same time.  I've been using FSGenesis for years without problems but I seem to recall that Orbx kind of recommends FSGlobal.  The reason i did not mention mesh is because I sort of consider mesh as basic as the flight sim program itself.

Have you recovered from Hogmany yet?

Have you recovered from Hogmany yet?

It was a sober one, Dan, so I'm just about recovering from being sober around lot's of 'merry' people lol! :lol:

Yes, FS Global is an essential.  I've been using it for years, and it's improved through every iteration.

FSXGV does look good, and having global coastline improvements would be worth the price of admission alone.   But as I mainly fly in Europe or the US (and have both covered by UTX too), it's a difficult choice.

Edited by Q_flyer

It looks like FSGlobal 2010 is the latest mesh.  Is that right?

The latest mesh product is the FS Global Ultimate series. There are three parts (1: The Americas, 2:Europe & Africa and 3: Asia & Oceania). Very large (~102GB installed) and expensive, but a really great mesh product ;)

Marko

Edited by Bartolomeus

Marko Barthel

vtadesign_bw.png

Thanks Bartolomeus.  I'll just be installing the Americans at this point so the money will be a little more bearable.

Hi,

Found FSGenesis great with vector. No airport elevation problems yet, as far as I have seen.

Edited by SpiritFlyer

Guest Mik75

I am so glad, I found out about a little tool that let's you use the FTX Global lighting with UTX streets. (a fellow simmer here on AVSIM pointed me to the simforums where the tool can be found) So my combination right now is FS Global 2010 for the mesh, UTX for the vector data and the land classes and FTX Global for the textures and the beautiful night lights. It looks awesome and works like a charm.

Edited by Mik75

I Purchased Vector and it transformed the sim for me, absolutely brilliant in my opinion. 

Initially I though it would only add extra roads and accurate coastlines, on approach into Bahrain I found it had replicated the island exactly like the real world, all the new man made islands and resorts are now visible.

Combined with FS genesis mesh and FTX global I couldn't really ask for more.

EDIT - Sorry slightly off topic, I just looked at the FS Global Europe and Africa.  Is this higher or the same resolution as FS genesis NextMAP? 

If not can I still purchase FSglobal and install certain NextMap areas on top?

Cheers

Rob Prest

I'm personally waiting for the 1.1 update to be released, but then I'll likely spring for Vector.  The configuration panel they are adding looks like it will sort out a lot of complaints, especially those related to airport elevations.  Looks like one will be able to disable or enable any elevation fixes the product offers, individually by airport.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I'm personally waiting for the 1.1 update to be released, but then I'll likely spring for Vector.  The configuration panel they are adding looks like it will sort out a lot of complaints, especially those related to airport elevations.  Looks like one will be able to disable or enable any elevation fixes the product offers, individually by airport.

+1

Ordered FSGlobal Ultimate for "The Americas" a little while ago.  Since I do very little flying "across the pond" I'll simply use my FSGenesis mesh for Europe, etc.

It looks like FSGlobal 2010 is the latest mesh.  Is that right?

For FTX Global and FTX Vectors, you only need FSGlobal 2010 for FTX Compatible Edition, downloadable from The FlightSim Store. It provides LOD11 in Europe and North America most notably Canada - an area that the original boxed version of FSGlobal 2010 did not include. It will handle all of your mesh requirements.

Don't be surprised if you still see anomalies though. I have FSGlobal 2010 for FSX and Vector and still see spikes and depressions where there shouldn't be any.

My suggestion is to wait for Vector 1.1. Orbx is ditching OSM in some areas, replacing it with commercial data, as well as making Vector more configurable - something that can't be done now.