Sign in to follow this  
Farlis

Season's in New Zealand

Guest mruane

Gidday MateI am just up the road in Fairfield pretty close to the stream also. Avoided the flood last February. Agree it feels like Winter sometimes. Its pretty nice today though.

Guest jaapverduijn

"(...) That's actually not true. Or you explained it badly. Left... right? (...)Oh my god, another one. This time a German (wide grin)!"(...) It rises in the east and goes down in the west just like it does on the northern hemisphere. The difference is that it travels through the northern part of the sky instead of the southern like it does here (...)"EXACTLY! And that's precisely why she goes from left to right on the northern hemisphere, and from right to left on the southern hemisphere.You've clearly never lived on the southern hemisphere, or you would have seen it day after day after day with your own eyes. I'll give it another try for you. Imagine yourself being on the southern hemisphere, looking toward the sun when it travels, as you so rightly put, through the NORTHERN part of the sky. In other words: you are looking to the north, through which the sun is traveling from east to west. The sun has risen to your RIGHT (east), and goes through north to the west (LEFT). In other words: she travels in an arc from right to left. In your country and in my neighboring one on the northern hemisphere, in order to see the arc of the sun you have to face south, so the following happens. You are looking to the south, through which the sun is traveling from east to west. The sun has risen to your LEFT (east), and goes through south to the west (RIGHT). In other words: she travels in an arc from right to left. "(...) Facing which direction? That's pretty relative (...)"The direction you face has no influence on how you see the sun travel: if you look towards her it always happens in the ways I describe, and even if you face away from her you can see on which hemisphere you are by following the movements of the shadow you cast. On the northern hemisphere your shadow cast by the sun behind you moves from left to right (just like the sun itself), and on the southern hemisphere your shadow cast by the sun behind you moves from right to left (just like the sun itself). Be well!Jaap Verduijn.

So you were speaking relative to the sun's position and not to the direction of north. Makes more sense now.

Guest jaapverduijn

"(...) you were speaking relative to the sun's position (...)"Right on! Whenever you look at the sun on the northern hemisphere, she moves from left to right. Whenever you look at the sun on the southern hemisphere, she moves from right to left. You got it now!Be well!Jaap Verduijn.

Jaap,Now that was hilarious!:-xxrotflmaoCheers,

Guest Tim W

Well I knew what you meant the first time Jaap! This is a great discussion and it's given me many laughs especially your post about the atom and the window ledge.I must admit when I read the initial post I had to check that it wasn't April 1st! (Now is that summer or winter south of the equator?) :-)CheersTimhttp://members.chello.nl/t.westnutt/realair1.gif

Guest Javis

>to the west (RIGHT). In other words: she travels in an arc>from right to left. Strictly speaking that's not true,Japie, lucky for us she's not traveling anywhere, is she. Be careful not to put other mysterious thoughts in the head of this here young topic starter.Excerpt from Ali G in da USAiii, interviewing John Glenn :AG : We knows you's been going to the moon and all that but when is you going to the sun ??JG : You can't go to the sun, you'll be burned to death.AG : Ok,check, but wha if you's go by night ? JG : ....

And the toilet flushes in the other direction too. Coriolis Effect.

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

..."but I refuse to be rude and ignorant." :-)Thats cool...Ignorance can be cured...stupidity cant.

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest static

>..... Is there a fix for this?Perhaps you could go ask your boss Jeff. I'm sure GWB will have no trouble invading New Zealand in search of Weapons of Summer Destruction :(

Guest jaapverduijn

Ha die Jan!I'm much older than you think: I was born when the sun still traveled around the earth, and I never could get used to all these new ideas (wide and wicked grin)! I actually remember John Glenn's first trip into space, even worse: I remember Yuri Gagarin doing the same. Bloody hell: I even remember Laika, and before her the first Sputnik. Come to think of it: I witnessed Jas Moll (test pilot) and Henk van Overvest (journalist for Avia-Vliegwereld, it still had the combined name then) taking one of the prototype Fokker Friendship's up for a litle trip. I believe it was the third prototype, which is now in the Aviodrome. I must confess though that I don't remember Anthony Fokker himself taking his Spin for a spin (grin)!About Jeff, our young topic starter: I guess by now he must be quite dizzy and sort of feeling like he's traveling in some weird orbit around the planet Washington, in the far away galaxy America. Never in the history of human endeavour have so few (Jeff) owed so much to so many (all contributors to this hilarious thread)! Ik ga naar bed: 't is tien over half twaalf. Pit ze!Be well!Jaap.

Well then, I guess I'm not the only one that's incurable. Remember this also, Einstein never remembered his own phone number because he said why fill his head with stuff that he could so easily look up in a book of reference.Jeff USAF

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest jmfabio

The toilets flush UP?????And all those that live in the Southern Hemisphere must have extreme headaches from being upside down all the time.Joe

Actually the Southern Hemisphere is at the top.As you well know ground is heavier than water so the water goes to the top and the dirt goes to the bottom when it is place in a glass. Therefore, as the Northern hemisphere has more of the land it must have sunk to the bottom - hence the Southern hemisphere must be at the top.RegardsRussell Jourdain (NZL007/ZK-RHJ)