Sign in to follow this  
falcon7xx

Radar Contact 4.3 vs Pro ATC X

Here we go again.

ProATC-X works fine for me every time and so if he doesn't for others you have to ask why they say that.

There are three issues to look at.  

Firstly, ProATC-X is a European product and may not model FAA procedures to American tastes.  I can't comment on that and it may or may not be an issue for you. 

Secondly, ProATC-X has an acknowledged weakness in controlling AI aircraft.  You can choose your own source for this (WOAI, UT2 etc etc) but ProATC-X doesn't control its movements. This isn't a huge problem in the air but does mean that you can suffer conflicts when taxi-ing.

Lastly, unlike some products, ProATC-X uses real voices.  However, the vocabulary isn't comprehensive, particularly for real names such as callsigns and control centres.  Perhaps once the promised update comes out, there will be an opportunity to expand the vocabulary to match a stable product.

Edited by ailchim

ngxu_banner.png

Well, there are a lot of small things that make it "unusable" for example, there is a lag (that according to the developer) is unavoidable when you confirm instructions, this often makes so that the entering seems like it doesnt react, that makes you press the button again, which makes you initialize descent... which is rather annoying if you are in the beginning of a 5 hour flight...

but the main reason is that the developers say that there will be a huge update (they have been saying that since way before chrsitmas) "it will probably be released next week" and so on...

But nothing happens, this together with they refusing to say what will be updated gives me a feeling that there isnt an update...

It has started to feel like abandonware... thats the reason why im advicing from purchase in this case...

It has got very good potential to be a very useful addon... IF the update comes and works...:)

Here we go again.

ProATC-X works fine for me every time and so if he doesn't for others you have to ask why they say that.

There are three issues to look at.  

Firstly, ProATC-X is a European product and may not model FAA procedures to American tastes.  I can't comment on that and it may or may not be an issue for you. 

Secondly, ProATC-X has an acknowledged weakness in controlling AI aircraft.  You can choose your own source for this (WOAI, UT2 etc etc) but ProATC-X doesn't control its movements. This isn't a huge problem in the air but does mean that you can suffer conflicts when taxi-ing.

Lastly, unlike some products, ProATC-X uses real voices.  However, the vocabulary isn't comprehensive, particularly for real names such as callsigns and control centres.  Perhaps once the promised update comes out, there will be an opportunity to expand the vocabulary to match a stable product.

Niklas Eriksson

I don't get delays that I've noticed as a problem.  If I had, I'd have tried not to press buttons until it did respond because I've learned it does always respond correctly - for me.  

In any event, you might like to set the co-pilot to respond to in-flight messages and re-tune the radios:  

• as far as I'm aware that's the way it works in real-life
  • 99% of the time it is only frequency changes, which are no great loss unless you really really like doing them yourself
  • it means you can get up and make a cup of tea whilst in the cruise with no danger of losing ATC contact

The issue of the update is separate to whether it's usable as it is.  There are some quite significant issues - for me, the taxi conflicts are the biggest one - and it will be pretty poor if that update doesn't now come through after the commitments that have been given. In the meantime, I think "abandonware" is very unfair:

• Plenty of people acknowledge they get support for specific problems through the email facility.
  • In essence, they are doing nothing that the likes of PMDG don't do also: i.e. saying that something is going to happen (i.e. the update) and then refusing to enter into debate about it.  I accept that PMDG can rely on their track record in expecting trust but we'll have to see what ProATC-X deliver.

ngxu_banner.png

No, I like most features of VoxATC also. Calling request to start-up, identifying your parking area/location on the airfield, radio check, notifying atc intentions to switch freq. for weather, call FSS, etc. It is all pretty immersive and good press-to-talk training for GA flyers.

I agree. I read all the Avsim threads regarding add-on ATC and VoxATC seemed to be the most complete.

• Voice control via PTT
  • AI controlled by ATC in the air and on the ground
  • Full SID/STAR support with the ability to modify
  • IFR/VFR/Unicom/FSS
  • Built-in FO to handle radios
  • US or EU phraseology and methods (with UK/EU add-on)

For me, VoxATC with MCE and GSX is the perfect fit.

I have switched from Pro ATC X to VOX ATC since just before Christmas. It is light years ahead of PATCX in every aspect, excepting PATC has a flight planner that I didn't use anyway, (other than you have to use it to import your own FP).

However, sticking to the original question, RC4 every time. I moved on from RC4, looking for dynamic SID/STAR support and took a wrong turn from there.

Just a note though, I really hope that things eventually come together with PATC. It has potential, but it has many miles to go for me.

Regards,

Edited by wanabflyer

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Sounds to me like I need to wait and see what happens to PATCX before deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Ok...I just watched a video of Pro ATC X and I must say it was very impressive, if it is accurate and not doctored.

When Pro ATC was released lots of people where raving about it for weeks.

And now it's no good anymore ?

Very strange .....

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

When Pro ATC was released lots of people where raving about it for weeks.
And now it's no good anymore ?

Because the PROATC Developer has stopped any support and vanished from it's own forums for month' now.

The last weeks you could see him maybe twice a month, but no official statements or even a kind of excuse or something like "Hello my dear paying customers, I care about you" etc.

ProATC has had a good base, but is buggy. After the first month of patching, there's now nearly a year without any more support.

And there are major issues left which make ProATC unusable for me.

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds to me like I need to wait and see what happens to PATCX before deciding.

So you have read through this thread and still think ProATC is a viable option ?

wow

Lastly, unlike some products, ProATC-X uses real voices. However, the vocabulary isn't comprehensive, particularly for real names such as callsigns and control centres. Perhaps once the promised update comes out, there will be an opportunity to expand the vocabulary to match a stable product.

For the record all ATC addons with the exception of VOXATC, uses real voices. Even the default ATC system uses real voices. The main difference is in how many voices and what variation each product has. PFE can have up to 99 voices, ProATC-x has a number + user created voice packs, RC4 is the most limited. As for the user created voice packs created with  the ProATC-X tool, on paper it is a good idea, but in practice they loss quality control, especially with the place names and callsigns as you mention.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

ProATC-x has a number + user created voice packs, RC4 is the most limited.

You say that ProATC has a "number" of voices, how many exactly ?

I can find no information on their site that states how many voice sets are included.

In some instances when I was using PATC, I had more than one person's voice in the same sentence talking to me. If i remember, it happens when requesting permission for start-up and push back. I would also question as to weather PATC has more voices than RC4, if that is what is implied by the "most limited" comment by tf51d.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

So you have read through this thread and still think ProATC is a viable option ?

wow

What part of wait and see did you not understand?

What part of wait and see did you not understand?

Mmmm.... Have to wonder just how loooooong the 'wait' part of that is though;-)  I think I have all ATC addons for FSX.  Of these, I don't quite agree with the earlier post of ProATC-X being "robery", but I do think it was a complete waste of money *compared to what else is available*.