Sign in to follow this  
Guest CYYJ1968

AI Formation Flights

Guest CYYJ1968

Is it possible to set up a flight in which one or more AI fly in formation with the player, more or less following the maneuvers of the flight lead (player) but with a bit of randomness and reaction delay thrown in so that they don't appear too synchronized to the player's movement? Ideally, the AI would be able to taxi and take off independently from the same airfield and then formate on the leader when airborne but that is probably asking asking way too much. I suspect the answer is no but, what the hey, thought I'd ask anyway.

Guest CYYJ1968

Now you've got me wondering. Does FSUIPC provide API calls to query and set params for non-player a/c or for the player a/c only?

Hi,Both, but I'm not sure you can control the AI aircraft using FSUIPC. But the MS SDK allows this. You would need to develop an application program to control the AI aircraft though.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest Kingair315

There are a few aircraft available which will fly in formation. Here are some of the files found on http://flightsim.com they may also be on AVSIM or elsewhere."FS2004 Red Arrows single, four and nine compatibility update. Requires any or all of the FS2002 files in the 'REDPACK' series of BAe Hawk aircraft of the British RAF 'Red Arrows' aerobatic display team. This modification updates the panels of all Redpack aircraft for use in FS2004: the FSDS single, Gypo four and Diamond Nine, plus the Gmax animated formation four. All work well in FS2004. Also includes revised start-up situations for the Gmax four. By Mark Beaumont.""FS2004 Saudi Hawks single and four compatibility update. Requires SHAWKS1.ZIP and SHAWKS4.ZIP, which represent aircraft of the Royal Saudi Air Force's Display Team, the "Saudi Hawks". This small modification updates the panels for use in FS2004 of both the FSDS single and Gmax animated formation four BAe Hawk aircraft. By Mark Beaumont.""FS2004 Black Seahawks single and four compatibility update. Requires BSHAWKS1.ZIP and BSHAWKS4.ZIP, which represent aircraft of the British Royal Navy's FRADU Display Team, the "Black Seahawks", operating from RNAS Culdrose, Cornwall. This small modification updates for use in FS2004 the panels of both the FSDS single and Gmax animated formation four BAe Hawk aircraft. By Mark Beaumont. " "FS2004 AI Pack For RAF Waddington. Pack includes revised AFCAD2 for Waddington (default), AI Sentry, AI Nimrod MR2 and appropriate flight plans. Every 20 minutes one Sentry will take off, fly a circuit, land and taxi back to its slot. Every hour on the half hour, one Nimrod will take off, fly a circuit, land and taxi back to its slot. The circuits are flown IFR and last about 15 minutes - good for practicing your formation flying. By John May.""FS2004 Balsa Glider In A Two Ship Formation. This model comes with the following features: spoilers, small instrument set, 2D cockpit, virtual cockpit, dynamic metal shine, landing effects, semi-configurable smoke effects for acrobatics, and four paint schemes. Model and Textures by Roger L. Hinton.""FS2002/FS2004 JASDF Fuji T-7. Japan Air Self Defense Force primary trainer Fuji T-7 v2.00. Includes full moving parts, 2D panel, virtual cockpit, dynamic shine, reflection (Gmax), solo/dual/formation flight model. Aircraft and panel by Coral-FLT Holly (Atsushi Terui)."Not exactly what you may be looking for, maybe a compromise. I like the idea of also flying in formation with other aircraft, using the same model.Bob

Guest CYYJ1968

Thanks for the info guys.I would love to be able to fly formation flights with arbitrary a/c so I may look into the SDK to scope out the level of effort required. Might make an interesting hobbyist programming project.

Guest Kingair315

By taking a look at the *.cfg files for some of these formation flying aircraft, it may help you to create some yourself.

Guest panda234

That would be a lot of fun. Create a tight formation with one aircraft missing and then try and fit yourself in. Brings up a lot of questions, though. You wouldn't want it flying in a straight line, from airport to airport, for instance, so how would you get it doing loops and other aerobatics? Way over my head, I won't even go there. :-)billg

Guest Kingair315

Maybe not in a straight line, but you can use TTools to set up flight plans with about 6 airfields I believe, before it returns to home. Now, if you pick a state like CA with loads of fields close by, it might fly up, then begin descending immediately. Then, again to the next field, etc. If the flight is timed so it allows minimum time of the ground, it might work. It would be quite a challange to stay in the open slot...Bob