Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

Realair Turbine Duke "original" or is there a V2 coming for it too?

I've been eyeing the Realair turbine duke for a while, but for some reason had it in my head that they are working on a V2 for it similar to how the piston version got a V2.  I happened to noticed last night that it's on sale for something like 40% off the normal price though and I'm kinda thinking I should just jump on it.  What do you guys think?  Is there actually a V2 coming and I should wait?  Or jump on the current one and be happy with it?  

I've kinda pushed up my wait to get a GA aircraft since OrbX just dropped their Northern California region (my home region) and I want to use something better than default aircraft to explore it.  I usually use the default Baron and the turbine duke seems like it might be a good idea because it can hit really short fields.

Oh, I'm open to suggestions on alternative craft, but it absolutely has to be fps friendly.  I'm already pushing it with my 4 year old PC and the Orbx stuff.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I really enjoy flying the Turbine Duke.  There's no V2...yet but I believe they are working on it. 

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I usually use the default Baron and the turbine duke seems like it might be a good idea because it can hit really short fields.

Hmm... I love both the piston and turbine Dukes, but the release of NorCal is about the only thing that's gotten me OUT of my V2 piston Duke, which has become my favorite aircraft.  I guess it depends on what you want to do and how real world you like to be.  The Turbine Duke does have great short field capability, but its real world use model is "get high as fast as you can", which doesn't make it a great sightseeing plane unless you fly it in a way that it wouldn't be flown IRL.  It's a plane that would almost always be flown IFR.  The piston Duke is a better choice for mixed IFR/VFR flying, but it isn't a good short field plane, and like most twins neither is optimal for seeing the sights down low.

Even though I'm a huge fan of both, when I headed up from SoCal for my NorCal explorations I left the Duke parked at Reid Hillview, and I've been back in the good ol' Carenado 337, with its excellent cockpit visibility and good all around flying characteristics.

BTW, yes RealAir has stated they're working on a v2 of the Turbine Duke.  An easy day 1 buy for me when it's released, but as with all RealAir's planes, there's no announced schedule.  Could be a few weeks - could be a year.

Scott

Thanks guys, hmmm maybe I should be looking at both the turbine duke for "serious IFR" GA aircraft and then something else for sightseeing.  I guess I thought I could pick up one GA craft and be good lol.  That 337 looks like a pretty unique plane, though it's a good chunk more $$$ than the turbine duke is on sale for right now (like $20 vs. 35 for the 337).  I do seem to remember last time I was looking for GA advice the 337 was one that came up.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

The Turbine Duke is one of my favourite FSX aircraft and I too will be one of the first to buy a V2 of this - the V1 Turbine Duke is excellent so any improvement on that would be just awesome!

Bill

Another plane you might consider for NorCal sightseeing is RealAir's Lancair Legacy.  Also great cockpit visibility and it has many of the same features that make the V2 piston Duke such a good plane in terms of complex sounds, vibrations and so on.

Scott 

Another plane you might consider for NorCal sightseeing is RealAir's Lancair Legacy.  Also great cockpit visibility and it has many of the same features that make the V2 piston Duke such a good plane in terms of complex sounds, vibrations and so on.

Scott 

Thanks, taking a look now.  I think I've seen that used a lot in OrbX's preview screenshots.  Hmmm I could pick that AND the turbine duke up for about $7 more than that C337 on its own because the Legacy is on sale too.  That might be the way to go, 2 aircraft for basically the price of one and I'm covered for a nice range of GA use.

I use the Legacy for Orbx touring myself. Excellent visibility in cockpit (low wings but short). I prefer both Dukes for IFR flight online or high altitude VFR flying (usually above 10k).

I also have the 337 - good plane as well.

There I just made your decision more impossible lol!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I say get the turbine duke now.  Then when v2 comes out u can buy for a discount since u already bought the original. At least that's how they did the piston v2.

Matt Wilson

If you decide to go with the Legacy, just remember as you're getting used to it that the speed brakes are your friend.

All that is simply a warning that the Legacy is a slippery little fella.  It can go slow, and it can go down, but it hates doing both of them at the same time without some planning. :-)

Scott

Edited by tttocs

T Duke V1 is a fine plane but I have a feeling it isn't that far off.  If it were me, I would wait until V2 is out and stick with the great sight seeing choices for now such as the Legacy, RV-7, 337, 172..etc.  All these planes can handle IFR X-country as well.  Except for the 337 and OV-10, most twins make for poor sightseeing aircraft anyway, with the engine nacelles and wings blocking much of the side views.  A fun choice to consider is the A2A Civil P-51, it is very fast and IFR capable with great visibility from the cockpit during flight, however minimum 'safe' runway length is around 2500ft, for me at least.  The P-51 carries lots of fuel, I took off from Napa with just the wing tanks full (fuselage tank empty), flew around the bay area including some aerobatics, over Half Moon Bay, then flew all the way up the coast to Eureka-Murray, stopping at Oceanridge and Shelter Cove along the way.  At Eureka I still had about 1/4 in each tank.  

The fantastic A2A P-40 and Spitfire can handle shorter runways but they lack modern navigation equipment.  If you are just doing VFR sightseeing, you don't need any fancy navigation equipment....just fly IFR (I follow roads :biggrin: )   Of course touring the California coastline in a Spitfire is sorta like touring Hwy 1 in a vintage Jaguar E type. B)

Cheers

TJ

Edited by pilottj

Thanks, taking a look now.  I think I've seen that used a lot in OrbX's preview screenshots.  Hmmm I could pick that AND the turbine duke up for about $7 more than that C337 on its own because the Legacy is on sale too.  That might be the way to go, 2 aircraft for basically the price of one and I'm covered for a nice range of GA use.

That's the better buy, IMO.  I've got both Dukes, the Legacy and the C337.  I like and fly them all, but the RealAir products are definitely a few notches above the C337 in terms of flight dynamics and overall quality.

You're not going to find a better plane than the Legacy for sightseeing.

Richard P. Kelly

There's some really good advice in this topic.  Going back to the original point of wanting to "see" the area, the Duke is really not a great sightseeing airplane...the wings are big and block a great deal from sight.  I thoroughly enjoy flying them (Piston and Turbine)...they're beautifully modeled and a joy to fly.  I spent a month flying the Turbine to every towered airplane in California.  But, if sightseeing is truly your intent, the 337 and the Legacy would be better...two completely different kinds of airplanes.  The Legacy is sporty, fast and a handful.  The 337 is a wonderful, easygoing airplane with beautiful visibility. 

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

For checking out Orbx NorCal, you guys should definitely consider the IRIS Jabiru J160 :wink:

https://www.irissimulations.com.au/hangar/flight-simulator-planes/fsxp3d-aviator-series-jabiru-j-160

Or failing that, Ant's Airplanes P92 Eaglet is doing a fantastic job of giving me fantastic views.

(Although the best views I've enjoyed of Orbx NorCal so far has been in Ant's Drifter   - as long as I've got time for cruising at 60kts! :lol:  ..... If I want to go "fast" (lol!) it has to be the 100kts P92 or J160).

Edited by Q_flyer

Well, I decided to wait for a turbine duke v2.  However, I did join the Realair family anyway though by grabbing the Lancair Legacy in the meantime since it was on sale for like 1/2 off.  Nice plane so far. Definitely has me looking forward to the turbine duke v2 when it comes out.