Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

CNN - "World needs pilots! Record growth leads to record need"

CNN Quote

(CNN) -- A 35% increase in demand for air travel.

A tripling of the region's airplane fleet.

Up to nearly 13,000 new planes needed.

Predictions for growth in the Asia Pacific aviation industry over the next two decades are impressive.

But one question keeps recurring in the region and, indeed, around the globe.

Will there be enough pilots to fly the new planes and enough technicians to maintain them?

You can read the rest of the article here.

So, if you are a parent of a 10 year old or so, get them into simulation now! And then have them sign up as AVSIM Members! Hobby dead? No way.

CNN Quote

(CNN) -- A 35% increase in demand for air travel.

A tripling of the region's airplane fleet.

Up to nearly 13,000 new planes needed.

Predictions for growth in the Asia Pacific aviation industry over the next two decades are impressive.

But one question keeps recurring in the region and, indeed, around the globe.

Will there be enough pilots to fly the new planes and enough technicians to maintain them?

You can read the rest of the article here.

So, if you are a parent of a 10 year old or so, get them into simulation now! And then have them sign up as AVSIM Members! Hobby dead? No way.

Whats going to hurt a lot of people is the 1500 hour rule. I've been flying for years but am no where close to 1500 hours. A few years ago you could get a job flying an RJ with 350-400 hours which isn't that time much by the time you've gotten all your ratings so that's why they paid so little which is understandable. But now that you have to have 1500 hours and an ATP Its hard to justify spending 70K on top of a 4 year degree then several years of instructing to get an RJ job for 18k a year when you can make for working at MacDonald's  point is if the airlines want pilots they are gonna have to pay for training or up the salary's. Im going to try to join the Air Force so I can skip the RJ jobs and build time on heavy aircraft C-17 or C-5 and when I get out get an airline job overseas so I can get a tax break and start off making 70-80k

Edited by z06z33

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

It's all good and well saying that there's a demand for pilots, but the amount that is required to be invested is still a significant problem.

Whats going to hurt a lot of people is the 1500 hour rule. I've been flying for years but am no where close to 1500 hours. A few years ago you could get a job flying an RJ with 350-400 hours which isn't that time much by the time you've gotten all your ratings so that's why they paid so little which is understandable. But now that you have to have 1500 hours and an ATP Its hard to justify spending 70K on top of a 4 year degree then several years of instructing to get an RJ job for 18k a year when you can make for working at MacDonald's  point is if the airlines want pilots they are gonna have to pay for training or up the salary's. Im going to try to join the Air Force so I can skip the RJ jobs and build time on heavy aircraft C-17 or C-5 and when I get out get an airline job overseas so I can get a tax break and start off making 70-80k

The airlines are going to face a very competitive marketplace for pilots, management, mechanics and IT/ET folks and that competition is going to drive up salaries and benefits. Your route through the Air Force is an accepted way of accomplishing the advanced training. However, with the downsizing of our military (as announced by Hagel today), that isn't going to get any easier to achieve. The airlines are going to have to find a better method or recruiting, training and pay/benefits and that is why Boeing is doing all it can to be ahead of this problem. No pilots? No airplane sales.

Whats going to hurt a lot of people is the 1500 hour rule. I've been flying for years but am no where close to 1500 hours a few years ago you could get a job flying an RJ with 350-400 which isn't that time much by the time you've gotten all your ratings. Its hard to justify spending 70K on top of a 4 year degree then several years of instucting to get an RJ job for 18k a year when you can fly a twin Cessna and make 40K a year and be home every night. Point is if the airlines want pilots they are gonna have to pay for training or up the salary's. Im going to try to join the Air Force so I can skip the RJ jobs and build time on heavy aircraft C-17 or C-5 and when I get out get an airline job overseas so I can get a tax break and start off making 70-80k

David, this is the thing that makes me laugh when I see the phrase "Pilot Shortages" smeared across the media. There are more than enough pilots and students willing to fly for regional airlines, but these airlines effectively price themselves out the market. Some will argue the airlines have to do this otherwise the RJ business becomes loss-making; when you look at the requirements however, verses the pay/time off/work schedule & conditions it just doesn't make sense. 

Jordi Blumberg

David, this is the thing that makes me laugh when I see the phrase "Pilot Shortages" smeared across the media. There are more than enough pilots and students willing to fly for regional airlines, but these airlines effectively price themselves out the market. Some will argue the airlines have to do this otherwise the RJ business becomes loss-making; when you look at the requirements however, verses the pay/time off/work schedule & conditions it just doesn't make sense.

Which makes me wonder why the airlines are so into RJ's if the profit margin is that low. I call bs the company's claim they can't afford to pay pilots a decent wage but the CEO's make millions. An example of which would be United ending the pension plans, cutting salaries by up to 50% but they had enough money to give the CEO a $65 million dollar bonus on top of what the other top managers got. When the retired pilots took the company to court over them lying to the PBGC about the company's assests basicly they were hiding $5 billion in assests from the PBGC.The original bankruptcy judge threatened to have the pilots who signed on with the suit arrested for contempt of court for questioning his ruling so I'm guessing United had the money to pay him off as well. Edited by z06z33

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.