Sign in to follow this  
miragecy64

weird night textures

Ok, on my 27' monitor is more obvious but at the first link look at the landing lights illuminating the ground... Looks like 256 colors and not 32 bit. Clouds also look like this but you can't tell from these shots

Andy

This is a limitation of the lighting engine in FSX coupled with there being no separate textures for night-time.

What you are looking at are daytime textures that have been darkened in a manner that results in a banding effect. Similar colours have been darkened into the same colour, The landing lights then lighten those colours in the same fashion (in a separate pass) and the banding gets even worse. The ENB Series mod can also worsen (or improve) the result depending on the settings you use.

FSX may be rendering at a 32 bit colour depth, but the textures it is working with don't have the fidelity to withstand the colour manipulation, Games from the same era as FSX would just have used different textures for different lighting conditions to minimize this as most don't have day-night cycles. Today, lighting engines are much better. Take ARMA 3 for example, a far cry from ARMA 2 which also suffers from colour banding.

Thanks Tiger_Walts, I also suspect LCD monitors limitation as well? Because with previous CRT monitors I didn't have this problem. I wonder what monitors some guys use, their nighttime screenshots are perfect...

Andy