Sign in to follow this  
forkedtail

Active Camera compatibility with FS9

Are there any choices other than "Active Camera" for FS9 to get enhanced views?  There seem to be some updates that have corrected past problems, but none of the FAQ's I found were from recent years or OS versions.  Please redirect me if this is the wrong forum.

There's a program called F1View.  It's a free utility at Flight1, here:

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

As I recall, it works well, though it lacks all the bells and whistles of Active Camera.  Been a while since I used either so I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Jeff

I have Active Camera, running in on FS9.1 on Windows 7x64. The program runs flawlessly. Highly recommend it and see no need for an alternative. I don't know about Windows 8.

All older FAQs and updates still work exactly as described.

DBS Studio's Walk and Follow is also available. 4SIMSHOP currently sells on special for US$9.99.

+1 for DBS W+F

Southern Hemisphere flying is alas not catered for in Active Camera... 

DBS Studio's Walk and Follow is also available. 4SIMSHOP currently sells on special for US$9.99.

+1

+1 for DBS W+F

This post gets a Drive-by "disagree" from one PETER_PAN.

What kind of stupidity drives this?

Tell us what you think, man! this isn't a pissing contest! 

G'day WingZ.

I am equally perplexed.  However on reflection I seem to recall only the external walk around is not possible in the Southern Hemisphere whilst flying is OK. My memory ain't what it used to be ... I've already had to be corrected once today by N60JBravo.  :lol:

Edited by Appliance

+1 for DBS W+F

That is not my experience. I just tested it now to check...

Head latency works - internal AND external movement and views work - I didn't test fly-by or approach view, since I don't use those...

Tested at NZDN in the default Cessna.

Perhaps you have some other thing going on? For instance, it is well known that Active Camera does not work with certain features enabled in the panel.cfg - but that is easily fixeable. (Simply remove all instances of the line "Zorder=" from your panel.cfg in the affected aircraft and it's fixed.)

Pardon  my strident tone, but it is rare indeed that one gets snubbed by a payware vendor.

Way back in the dawn of Active Camera, I bought it and found whatever it was - probably walk-around, as Appliance mentioned - didn't work.

After a bit of badgering I was told it was due to Southern Hemisphere settings in my sim, and there were no plans to fix it.

DBS Walk and Follow has been in my sim for years as a result, and is second-nature now.

Couldn't imagine the sim without it. 

Even if Active Camera were fixed (I don't know if it has or has not been) I would not offer them the courtesy of re-installing it.

If head latency be your thing, TrackIR is the Real Deal in any event.

If head latency be your thing, TrackIR is the Real Deal in any event.

WingZ

Not to get too far off track, but on a side note, is there an adjustment or setting that you know of that will allow me to adjust the head latency effect of the TIR5? 

Well... no more than you set up in the main menu and save as a Profile.

My preferred setup is fairly insensitive as I like to move around a bit, and don't want to get seasick looking at it!

Here's a clip I made at NZWB (Part of RealNZ Marlborough scenery) to illustrate:

Cool, thanks.  I just wasn't sure if there was a setting hidden somewhere that I missed.  I'm like you, wouldn't fly without my TIR.  :smile:

Oh, and: the last spotview is of course DBS W+F, just a tad lower than the stock view, makes all the difference! 

I was able to get the fly-by feature and the latent head movement to work in Active Camera with my FS9, Win 8 rig, but that was all.  The walk around, fixed scenery point, approach view,  would not respond to the keystrokes shown in the user guide; nor were there any enhanced sounds.  I was using just the trial version at KSEA, mind you, but it is supposed to be fully-featured in that vicinity.  The latent head movement was almost worth the investment alone.  I thought it added a really dynamic feel to the cockpit.  I had Active Camera back in the Windows ME days, and really enjoyed it.