Sign in to follow this  
NondiPloom

X-Plane X Unuseable

X-Plane's documentation is apparently so poor to be non-existent.  That's especially poor product developement after how many years? About 20?

http://www.x-plane.com/support/manuals/

Fine.  What is the purpose of each of the 4 boxes aliogned with each function?

Page 143 of the manual:

http://www.x-plane.com/files/manuals/X-Plane_10_Desktop_manual.pdf

In short:

first box: Internet output;

second box: Disk file output;

third box: Graphical output;

fourth box: real time, on screen output.

However, I previously told you to check the first of the four boxes, but it was wrong, I meant the fourth box!

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

When I first started using X-Plane 10, I could hardly control any of the aircraft and I really can't tell you what I did, but now control is no problem.  Was it changing the controllers?  Maybe.  I did "upgrade" the controllers, but didn't notice that much difference between them - just bought more expensive (and hopefully more durable) equipment.  I did upgrade my computer from a dual core i-5 and 8 GB of DRAM and a GTX560 1GB to a i7-4770 and 16 GB of DRAM with a GTX770 4GB.  This resulted in being able to up the settings considerably but that shouldn't have effected control.  I also am flying Carenado aircraft almost exclusively - especially the C90 King Air.   I just feel that I have started mastering what I deem to be a great (and as opposed to others - constantly improving) work of art!

Now the simulator is easier to control, but the wife is out of control.....!!!  Can't understand all the money!

John

John Wingold

wb05kj: I'm having the same troubles as Nondiploom.  Have tried CH FlightSim Yoke, Thrustmaster, and keyboard.  C172 does an immediate left turn on takeoff with all.  I've calibrated till I'm sick of it.  

And the documentation is quite hard to understand.  That's what happens when an Engineer tries to write a manual.   SPEAK ENGLISH AUSTIN (in case you rerad this).

Was gonna let XPX lie in the cabinet since FSX is working like a charm, but Nondibloom made me speak up.

Charlie

Oops . . . .That's NondiPloom not Nondibloom.  Sorry.

It's clear to me that X-Plane 10 is not ready for the casual user.  The user interfaces are jokes and whoever wrote the manual has NO IDEA how to write one.  It's part novel, part marketing propaganda, and part manual.  The worst part is that the relevent parts of any particular subject are scattered throught the TOME.

It's now apparent that linke another poster in this thread, I'll have to re-calibrate my joystick each time I use XP X. 

On another not I finally learned one way to replay a flight.  Unfortuantely the views provided are worthless for visually analyzing your landings:  you can't look at the plane from alongside.!  Really dumb omission.

wb05kj:  Call me anything except late for supper!  ;^)

It really makes one wonder when the VSI says you're climbing at 500 fpm or more but the artificial horizon says you're flying level.  It also makes me wonder that X-Plane apparently doesn't give you a means for re-setting / re-starting a flight.  Kluge.

It's now apparent that linke another poster in this thread, I'll have to re-calibrate my joystick each time I use XP X. 

That is not correct, there's no need to recalibrate the joystick each time you use XPX.

On another not I finally learned one way to replay a flight.  Unfortuantely the views provided are worthless for visually analyzing your landings:  you can't look at the plane from alongside.!  Really dumb omission.

That is not correct, you can look at the aircraft from basically any angle.

It really makes one wonder when the VSI says you're climbing at 500 fpm or more but the artificial horizon says you're flying level.

That is not correct, the artificial horizon works fine.

It also makes me wonder that X-Plane apparently doesn't give you a means for re-setting / re-starting a flight.  Kluge.

That is not correct, you can set and re-start a flight as you like, you can e.g. place the aircraft on the runway, on short final, on long final, etc.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

On another not I finally learned one way to replay a flight.  Unfortuantely the views provided are worthless for visually analyzing your landings:  you can't look at the plane from alongside.! 

After you toggle replay mode, you need to select the view (e.g. chase etc. from the view menu, then you can then pause replay and see your plane at any angle you like).

X-Plane is different and the UI seems odd at time but it was written to support Windows, Mac and Linux, so the UI needs to compromise.  I realize that coming from FSX many items seems making no sense, I had the same experience as you at the beginning.  Give it sufficient time and patience.  We are here to help, but not spending enough time in reading and constantly complaining will just increase your frustration level.

Note that there is no way to set "realism" in XPX, you fly the plane as real pilots do (in the confine of a simulated model obviously).  The veering to the left is the torque effect in XPX, so severe it's called the torque bug.  There is way to counter that "bug"  just Google "torque bug and XP".  The visuals in XPX requires some adjustment as well, after getting used to the "painted" view from FSX (because of DX9 technologies" I actually needed some times to get use to the more photo real (DX11) world visuals that XPX provides.  The sky above my home airport is portrayed much more realistically in XPX than FSX.

Bottom line : be patience and be ready to deal with some culture shock but the reward, at least for me is well worth the efforts.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

You should not chase the VSI as there is always a delay in the VSI just use it for reference. For checking level left the horizon should be approx four fingers from the view i.e. the horizon should be approx four finder above the dash board in VFR flight. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Note that there is no way to set "realism" in XPX, you fly the plane as real pilots do (in the confine of a simulated model obviously).  The veering to the left is the torque effect in XPX, so severe it's called the torque bug.  There is way to counter that "bug"  just Google "torque bug and XP".

There are good and bad flight models for either X-Plane or FSX, so it's not a matter of different realism between the two.

The "torque bug" applies basically only in the air, and it's a problem affecting X-Plane flight model. Hopefully some fixes or improvements could be implemented in the next releases.

A VSI is a BAROMETRIC device.  There's NO WAY one should ever almost instantly swing from 0 to over 500 fpm climb and then to over 500 fpm descent.

Not only did I discover that I have to calibrate the joystick before every flight, but the A/C become harder to control as the flight progresses---and all I've tried so far is short flights of a few minutes.

I've tried the different views and could not find one where I could view the A/C from alongside it---the best view to judge landings.

Both the manual and the installer indicate you can install it wherever you wish, but I found that I could ONLY install it to the desktop.  That's the first indication that the copies of X-Plane X I've installed---including the demos (plural) I downloaded---were not 'up to spec'.

No one should have to read a 185 page to properly fly a flight simulator, and they should especially not have to sufffer wading through all the BLATHER.

X-Plane may be the greatest thing for flight simulation since sliced bread, but it has warts.  Denying that denies reality.

X-Plane may be the greatest thing for flight simulation since sliced bread, but it has warts.  Denying that denies reality.

Who's saying it's perfect?

However, maybe if you use a calmer tone, we could try to help you.

Not only did I discover that I have to calibrate the joystick before every flight, but the A/C become harder to control as the flight progresses---and all I've tried so far is short flights of a few minutes.

Calibrating the joystick before every flight shouldn't be needed, so you have a problem laying somewhere. Also, the fact that the aircraft becomes harder to control is not something that should happen. Can you make a video?

I've tried the different views and could not find one where I could view the A/C from alongside it---the best view to judge landings.

Choose one of the external view, then move the mouse while clicking the right button to position the point of view where you want it.

Both the manual and the installer indicate you can install it wherever you wish, but I found that I could ONLY install it to the desktop.  That's the first indication that the copies of X-Plane X I've installed---including the demos (plural) I downloaded---were not 'up to spec'.

You can install X-Plane wherever you wish, not only on the desktop.

However, did you update your installation to the latest release (X-Plane 10.25)?

No, X-Plane did not allow me to install it wherever I wished.  When I tried to install it where I wished, the installation did not happen---I got an error message.

Yes, I updated to 10.25.

External view right click.  This is another short-coming of the GUI.  Regardless, thanks for the tip!  :^) 

'My tone'.  Let me know what the 'calm' word for 'blather' is and I'll use it.  ;^)

A VSI is a BAROMETRIC device.  There's NO WAY one should ever almost instantly swing from 0 to over 500 fpm climb and then to over 500 fpm descent.

No one should have to read a 185 page to properly fly a flight simulator, and they should especially not have to sufffer wading through all the BLATHER.

Hey , can i ask the aircraft you are flying ? I use the Commodore 893a and yes it has some twitch to it. Especially the Torque bug during taxi , just spins on the axis.

The sudden change in VSI could could also be the elevator trim twitching or the pitch sensitivity and NO it does not need to be configured every time . I had this problem with the Commodore but I can fly her as smooth and level now. 

There is a plugin for the external view I simply can not recollect the name. BTW why do you want to judge the landings using an external view ?

I had never felt like I was flying in MSFS (No offense but it was never there except the visuals) but when I started flying with XPX low over the trees I felt it.

Just try recaliberation and centering through XPX.

And XPX can be installed anywhere, have you upgraded to 10.25 32 or 64 ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Hey , can i ask the aircraft you are flying ? I use the Commodore 893a and yes it has some twitch to it. Especially the Torque bug during taxi , just spins on the axis.

The sudden change in VSI could could also be the elevator trim twitching or the pitch sensitivity and NO it does not need to be configured every time . I had this problem with the Commodore but I can fly her as smooth and level now. 

There is a plugin for the external view I simply can not recollect the name. BTW why do you want to judge the landings using an external view ?

I had never felt like I was flying in MSFS (No offense but it was never there except the visuals) but when I started flying with XPX low over the trees I felt it.

Just try recaliberation and centering through XPX.

And XPX can be installed anywhere, have you upgraded to 10.25 32 or 64 ?

Of all the copies of X-Plane I've had (2 sets of global disks, a few downloads of the demo), NONE of them let me install to other than the desktop.  When I tried, I got an error message saying that it couldn't 'something-or-other' to that locatio.

Thanks to another poster, I found out how to view from alongside, etc.  (Chase view, the cursor's 'arrow' keys to positon)

I've been flying the Stinson, the 172, and just now an light add-on.

Coming from MS FS it's hard to realize the extreme realism of X-Plane and the turbulence you experience in a lightpane.  I've only flown in a light plane twice, once in my Dad's plane when I was a young boy, and once in my twenties with a Flight Instructor friend practicing stalls.  The latter was the only one where I experienced some turbulance.  I've been a passenger a passenger on jets and turbo-props, and I've got 5,000 hours as a crewman in Navy Patrol Planes.  You wouldn't believe the turbulance at low altitudes over the ocean! :^O

End of my 'blather'  ;^)