Sign in to follow this  
NondiPloom

X-Plane X Unuseable

Of all the copies of X-Plane I've had (2 sets of global disks, a few downloads of the demo), NONE of them let me install to other than the desktop.  When I tried, I got an error message saying that it couldn't 'something-or-other' to that locatio.

Thanks to another poster, I found out how to view from alongside, etc.  (Chase view, the cursor's 'arrow' keys to positon)

I've been flying the Stinson, the 172, and just now an light add-on.

Coming from MS FS it's hard to realize the extreme realism of X-Plane and the turbulence you experience in a lightpane.  I've only flown in a light plane twice, once in my Dad's plane when I was a young boy, and once in my twenties with a Flight Instructor friend practicing stalls.  The latter was the only one where I experienced some turbulance.  I've been a passenger a passenger on jets and turbo-props, and I've got 5,000 hours as a crewman in Navy Patrol Planes.  You wouldn't believe the turbulance at low altitudes over the ocean! :^O

End of my 'blather'  ;^)

Stinson 172 ? Is it a payware or freeware ? 

What light add on have you got now ? 

Can you try the MS893a from Xpfr it is  a freeware and a superb bird. 

"Coming from MS FS it's hard to realize the extreme realism of X-Plane and the turbulence you experience in a lightpane"  oops did not understand this one .  

You can copy the X-plane folder to any drive you want . Even if you format your OS you will not need to reinstall X plane. 

what control sticks are you using ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Of all the copies of X-Plane I've had (2 sets of global disks, a few downloads of the demo), NONE of them let me install to other than the desktop.  When I tried, I got an error message saying that it couldn't 'something-or-other' to that locatio.

That is weird. You normally make a new directory with a file manager and then tell X-Plane that it should install into this directory. Then everything about X-Plane is in this directory since it doesn't use any other resources.

Stinson 172 ? Is it a payware or freeware ? 

What light add on have you got now ? 

Can you try the MS893a from Xpfr it is  a freeware and a superb bird. 

"Coming from MS FS it's hard to realize the extreme realism of X-Plane and the turbulence you experience in a lightpane"  oops did not understand this one .  

You can copy the X-plane folder to any drive you want . Even if you format your OS you will not need to reinstall X plane. 

what control sticks are you using ?

The included Stinson and C-172.  I'm using a US $26 Logitech from Amazon.com. 

Thanks for the folder move tip.  I suspected such.  My point is, though, the X-Plane isn't 'as advertised'.

Turbulence:  In MS FS, you don't get the A/C movement from turbulence that you do in X-Plane.  If you haven't flown in a light plane---at least in recent memory---you'll not be aware of the turbulence.  That being the case, the turbulence you see in X-Plane seems to be a software defect when in fact it is not.

I tried it both ways:  with having the target directory exist prior to the attempt and with it NOT existing.  Neither worked.

The included Stinson and C-172.  I'm using a US $26 Logitech from Amazon.com. 

Thanks for the folder move tip.  I suspected such.  My point is, though, the X-Plane isn't 'as advertised'.

Turbulence:  In MS FS, you don't get the A/C movement from turbulence that you do in X-Plane.  If you haven't flown in a light plane---at least in recent memory---you'll not be aware of the turbulence.  That being the case, the turbulence you see in X-Plane seems to be a software defect when in fact it is not.

I tried it both ways:  with having the target directory exist prior to the attempt and with it NOT existing.  Neither worked.

I think the Stinson 172 is twitchy not sure.

Yeah I did notice the turbulence feels a bit too high for a light aircraft.

You mean you could not copy the X plane folder to a new driver / partition ? if there is an existing X plane install it will prompt you to overwrite it.

You mean you could not copy the X plane folder to a new driver / partition ? if there is an existing X plane install it will prompt you to overwrite it.

No, the installer wouldn't put it anywhere except the desktop.  I haven't moved it because I only installed Florida.  If I decide keep X-Plane I'll move it after installing the rest of the scenery.

Even if it's the case that the installer wouldn't put the XP folder where you wanted it, you can cut/paste the entire folder to anywhere and it will work perfectly from there.

Try these settings, play around until you find your best setup, this is just what works for me. I do recall having control issues until I set this page up as you see it below.

X-Plane does take some getting used to as is the case with any complex program you've not used before but I urge you to stick with it, you will not be sorry. Perhaps a Carenado aircraft would be a worthwhile purchase rather that default ones which are not the best showcase for the platform. If you have any more problems I'd be happy to guide you where possible.

Capture4.JPG

If you're having installation location issues (which is VERY unusual and shouldn't be happening at all), just continue installing to the desktop, then, once it's installed, cut and paste the folder wherever you want.  X-Plane creates no registry entries so moving the folder is no problem.  You could even copy and paste a backup somewhere for safekeeping (backup drive, 2nd partition) so if anything goes wrong with the original installation, you can just copy and paste the backup to the working partition/drive.

Aileron trim controls most of the torque bug once you learn where to set it prior to takeoff.  It varies for every aircraft and I find it to be less of a problem in the Carenado C90 than any of the other aircraft I have.  Most of the time, some right aileron trim is required to prevent severely pulling to the left upon takeoff.  I have two of my throttle quadrant buttons programmed to accomplish this and this is one of the first things I do when starting a flight setup.  Once you learn each aircraft's characteristics, you can pretty well adjust this out.  Also remember that it usually needs adjustment as you throttle/prop back and usually before landing.  Just watch the yoke in most aircraft and you can adjust it properly as you land.  Autopilot flying gives you a break on long flights and even with it on, watching the yoke position will save you a correction once disengaged.  If you use ILS for your approach, be very aware of your settings when you disengage autopilot.  Not much time for correction!

Is X-Plane more demanding than FSX?  You bet - and I like it!  Mastering its complexities gives you more confidence in your flying abilities.  Am I criticizing FSX?  No, I still use it when I just want to relax and look at the scenery, but when I want to fly, I use X-Plane.

John

John Wingold

Aileron trim controls most of the torque bug once you learn where to set it prior to takeoff.  It varies for every aircraft and I find it to be less of a problem in the Carenado C90 than any of the other aircraft I have.  Most of the time, some right aileron trim is required to prevent severely pulling to the left upon takeoff.  I have two of my throttle quadrant buttons programmed to accomplish this and this is one of the first things I do when starting a flight setup.  Once you learn each aircraft's characteristics, you can pretty well adjust this out.  Also remember that it usually needs adjustment as you throttle/prop back and usually before landing.  Just watch the yoke in most aircraft and you can adjust it properly as you land.  Autopilot flying gives you a break on long flights and even with it on, watching the yoke position will save you a correction once disengaged.  If you use ILS for your approach, be very aware of your settings when you disengage autopilot.  Not much time for correction!

Is X-Plane more demanding than FSX?  You bet - and I like it!  Mastering its complexities gives you more confidence in your flying abilities.  Am I criticizing FSX?  No, I still use it when I just want to relax and look at the scenery, but when I want to fly, I use X-Plane.

John

+1 I totally agree with John on this. I dont post much but I have been having a great time with X-Plane and I have not read the manual. Also I still enjoy my just recently installed FSX. I enjoy the challenges of each sim. Jamie Moses

Just out of curiosity...what are your weather settings when you are trying to fly X-plane?....if they are extreme (for whatever reason) you will be ALL over the place in a light plane...and if you have an extremely strong headwind setup, you'll barely be able to get off the ground(and controlling the aircraft will be next to impossible). I experienced that with the Bonanza as well as the C130

The default, I guess.  Thanks for the thought. I hadn't really considered that.

Thanks to posts here, I'm flying with it now. 

Hey , I think I need some adjusting of the nullzones , hope the OP and others do not mind me butting in here with a query.

I am using a light aircraft and I think the pitch and roll is extra sensitive hence and I have kept them at 60 - 71 / 60 - 71.  But I don't know if this is good for a light aircraft ? as i don't have the correct roll rate for it. Infact I don't have a  POH for the aircraft .

Help appreciated.

New discovery:  After getting the thing 'flyable', my control problems were 'solved' by moving things to the right, contrary to 'Old_As_Dirt'.  'Everything' in this case is "Stability Augmentation" and "Control Response".  I'd been using Stability Augmentation ever since I found it, but only went 'Right-Wing'with Control Response after watching how much the rudder moved when I just barely rotated the joystick.  Obviously, I had been over-controlling.  My next task is to gradually move the Stability Augmentation back to the Left.  

Even if it's the case that the installer wouldn't put the XP folder where you wanted it, you can cut/paste the entire folder to anywhere and it will work perfectly from there.

Try these settings, play around until you find your best setup, this is just what works for me. I do recall having control issues until I set this page up as you see it below.

X-Plane does take some getting used to as is the case with any complex program you've not used before but I urge you to stick with it, you will not be sorry. Perhaps a Carenado aircraft would be a worthwhile purchase rather that default ones which are not the best showcase for the platform. If you have any more problems I'd be happy to guide you where possible.

Capture4.JPG

Thanks.  I wasn't smart enough to try this when you posted it, but that's what it was---over-sensitivity

wb05kj: I'm having the same troubles as Nondiploom.  Have tried CH FlightSim Yoke, Thrustmaster, and keyboard.  C172 does an immediate left turn on takeoff with all.  I've calibrated till I'm sick of it.  

And the documentation is quite hard to understand.  That's what happens when an Engineer tries to write a manual.   SPEAK ENGLISH AUSTIN (in case you rerad this).

Was gonna let XPX lie in the cabinet since FSX is working like a charm, but Nondibloom made me speak up.

Charlie

Oops . . . .That's NondiPloom not Nondibloom.  Sorry.

I FOUND THE PROBLEM and I can best express it in this way:  the LEFT RUDDER PEDAL works, but the RIGHT ONE DOES NOT WORK.  I'm guessing it's an X-Plane problem because I had it on 3 computers, 2 copies of Global, and a few downloads of the Demo.  I finally 'fixed it' by exercising the joystick in the Joystick portion of Settings.

Impossible! It's perfect!

Some real aircraft, mainly the props, have problems with the way they're built, and that makes people think the simulator is wrong!

I wish someone could build an aircraft the way it should be built, and then we would finally understand how close to real X-Plane 10 is.

Tell that to Cessna, Piper, Beechcraft... Useless, they keep making the same mistakes... over and over :-/

I'm talking about the "flight models per frame" you silly goose! (Some setting in game that might need to be increased)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |