Sign in to follow this  
Kwakadilly

FSX Acceleration FSUI.DLL Crash

I have FSX Acceleration installed. Today I did some Windows updates (112 of them, only the required ones) and following that my FSX stopped working. Every time I launch it I get a fatal error and event viewer says the error is fsui.dll.

I've tried everything I could possibly find around the internet, and I've seen a lot of people who have had this issue but none of the thread state how or what fixed it. When I use the suggested AppCrashView tool it does not show these crashes in there for some reason.

Here is what Event Viewer shows...any idea on how to fix it? 

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: fsui.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb59
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00073ea4
Faulting process id: 0x1640
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf31c5fe638aea
Faulting application path: C:\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\FSX\fsui.dll
Report Id: 5181f656-9db9-11e3-8eb6-000000000003

When you installed FSX, did you install fsx first, run it at least once and activate it?  Then, after activating and running FSX, did you then install Acceleration?  Then activate it?  Hopefully you did not install SP2 anywhere in this process.  Just FSX and the FSX Acceleration was all you needed to install. 

Individuals who have received this error have only fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling FSX.  The best uninstall/reinstall guide is at the following link - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.  I would only add that your run a registry cleaner like CCleaner before you reinstall.  Make sure UAC is turned off and your anti-virus program is not running.

Windows Update would not have affected the installation of FSX (other than maybe corrupt the system registry which would be almost impossible).  The biggest concern I have is that you did not install SP2 anywhere along the line of your installation of FSX.

You can also try investigating before you go through the task of uninstalling/reinstalling.  That would be:

• rename your Fsx.cfg to fsx.orig, restart fsx and let the config rebuild.  This will get rid of any tweaks that might be causing this error. 
  • disable all addon scenery via the Scenery Library (just uncheck all addon scenery).
  • disable all modules in the dll.xml (located in the same folder as your fsx.cfg).  The AVSIM CTD Guide tells you have to disable the modules.  The link to the guide is under Hot Spots located just to the right of this forum.

Once you do the above, your fsx will be back to the default configuration.  If it still does not start up then you have only one choice left and that's a complete uninstall/reinstall (including reactivations).

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you for the response, I did not install SP2. I've been running FSX since June without issue, and I had it open running that day. I then realized I had a lot of Windows Updates so I did that and that is when FSX stopped working. I did try what you suggested and more and nothing worked, so I guess a reinstall is in order. 

Thank you!

I wanted to come back and update this, I have figured out what caused the issue. It was a Windows update.

After this I decided I might as well install and try out my Windows 8.1, I didn't really like it for my gaming PC so I decided to go back to Windows 7 last night. This morning I made sure I had all the Windows updates installed before trying FSX. I installed FSX and it just closed at the splash screen and never actually opened up FSX. After trying all I could think of and reinstalling over and over I decided I might as well try to install SP1 (I know, bad since I haven't loaded up FSX at all yet) and see. After I did that FSX would crash and give the FSUI.dll error so I started wondering if it was a Windows update. I did a system restore back to the stock Windows 7 with SP1 and none of the updates (well I uninstalled three .NET Frame work updates that I still had installed), reconfigured Windows with all my settings and installed FSX. It worked like a charm. 

The fact that updating Windows seemed to have caused my sim to die before, and seems to have caused it this time tells me there is an update that screws everything up. I suspect this is a popular CTD because a lot of people have Windows update set to automatic, or they installed it unknowingly. I wish I could say which one exactly, but I'm not sure there were so many. If I can figure it out I will post it. 

Very interesting.  Thanks for posting your solution.  It could be helpful to others.  We do know of one CTD caused by Windows Update with the D3D11.dll error.  It is shown in the AVSIM CTD Guide (see link under Hot Spots to the right of this forum).  We might add your solution in a future update to the AVSIM CTD Guide.  FSX requires the installation of Microsoft.net 2.0 through the latest and Windows update does an update to those packages and maybe something went wrong during that process.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm having the same issue! I just did install Windows 7 on my Macbook and ditched Mac OSX. I downloaded all of the updates for Windows and as the original poster noted, there were well over 100 of them. I did this before I installed FSX. Tomorrow I plan on reinstalling Windows 7 (I have no previous restore point since I just did install it today). After Windows 7 is installed, should I then install FSX? We are trying to avoid whatever updates that are causing the CTD. So I would assume I'd need to install Windows 7 and then go through the install process for FSX, and then update windows? My only confusion is wouldn't the update affect FSX even after it's been installed?

I should also note that I had done this entire process (removing OSX, installing Windoes 7, installing FSX, and going flying) about 4 months ago. I formatted the drive with that windows install as I was getting too busy for FSX. Now that I plan to be active in FSX again, I decided to go ahead and switch operating systems.

It would be nice to know which update is doing this so when others in the future go out to update Windows, they will be aware of which updates to avoid. This issue sounds like the update is a relatively new one in 2014.

After Windows 7 is installed, should I then install FSX? We are trying to avoid whatever updates that are causing the CTD. So I would assume I'd need to install Windows 7 and then go through the install process for FSX, and then update windows? My only confusion is wouldn't the update affect FSX even after it's been installed?

I seriously doubt the problem was a Windows Update.  When someone restores their system to a previous time, more than just the Windows Updates are removed so it is impossible to find the culprit in Windows Update (unless you install each update one at a time which running FSX after each installation).  I suspect instead a bad installation of FSX.  When FSX is installed you should run it at least once so that a FSX.cfg is generated and other settings are made.  Once it is running successfully, then install SP1 or, if you have Acceleration, install Acceleration.  Once Acceleration is installed, run FSX again and make sure it is running properly. 

If it was a Windows Update, we would be having hundreds, maybe thousands of members complaining of this crash.  We are not. 

For installing FSX, you should use the following guide - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

I can't say if it was or was not a Windows Update that was conflicting with FSX from being able to initialize. I've installed FSX many times throughout the years of owning it and never have stumbled across this issue. It could be that these updates only affect new installations. The program installed seemingly correctly but when I went to try to load up FSX, once it built new scenery databases it then went to the "loading" bar and when that was over, FSX would just close. I never got anywhere after the splash screen before it fatally quit. I did install Windows 7 and applied every update there was before installing FSX.

On a better note, I just did a clean install of Windows 7 and I have successfully installed FSX Deluxe and Acceleration with no issues by only installing the required updates. 

Since it is unlikely I'll ever know what was truly affecting the install, it is safe to say that before you install any windows updates, install FSX first. 

I had the same problem. Fsx won´t get past the splash screen. Error report pointed to fsui.dll.

It turned out to be security update. I don´t know which one. I deleted them in batches until fsx worked back again. Hope this helps others

Javier