Sign in to follow this  
deetee

Oculus Rift compatibilty announced

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?14658-X-Plane-Oculus-Rift-Compatibility

If you were wondering why the 10.30 improvements were taking so long, now you know why.

Looks interesting and could be great fun, but for those who were hoping for fixes to things such as altutude visibility, ATC etc it must come as a disappointment.

Let's hope once this is out LR get back on track with the core stuff.

This is good news ... But I think your conclusions are a bit ... uhm ... shortsighted. The news release at your link did NOT say, it will come with 10.30, but sometimes around the official release of Occulus Rift (around the end of 2014). Neither was it mentioned, that because of Occulus Rift, nothing else will come in 10.30 ... which is definitely not true. Just wait, and see what 10.30 will bring to the table (which will not take until the end of 2014 :wink: ).

Lucky me that I didn't buy 3D glasses from Nvidia...those will become obsolete. Hopefully the Occulus Rift will be fairly priced. Must be a huge sim experience improvement. :wub:

This is good news ... But I think your conclusions are a bit ... uhm ... shortsighted. The news release at your link did NOT say, it will come with 10.30, but sometimes around the official release of Occulus Rift (around the end of 2014). Neither was it mentioned, that because of Occulus Rift, nothing else will come in 10.30 ... which is definitely not true. Just wait, and see what 10.30 will bring to the table (which will not take until the end of 2014 :wink: ).

I am very happy to be proven wrong Andras.

Your words are encouraging given your proximity to LR, so maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel? :)

By being tight-lipped about things in 10.30 and instead issuing statements on brand-spanking new features like Occulus Rift support (or new particle engines?) end up giving the impression that Laminar Research would rather work on these little esoteric wiz-bang features instead of focusing on the laundry list of more traditional improvements which would be of benefit to ALL X-Plane users.

When new features like this get announced, you can't help but feel that the time spent on this new whiz-bang feature could be better spent elsewhere, regardless of which pet peeve from the list of chronically raised elements happens to be your pet peeve.

This actually reminds me of how I behaved when my school Science Fair projects were due. I did all I could to avoid the unsexy and boring work of actually finishing my project, and instead spent time on things that were fun but of trivial benefit to my experiment. If I had I spent the time finishing my legitimate work instead of flying off and doing other less-relevant things, I would have had a rock-solid medal winning project. Instead, my projects always had this unfinished feel and I found myself trying to up-sell my project by pointing to these wiz-bang items which had no real material value to the experiment.

I hate feeling negative when new features like this are announced, but it's all I can muster. My first thoughts aren't "Neat! Cool!", but instead they are "Well, what about X, Y, and Z things? Shouldn't they get the attention instead?"   I can't imagine that I'm alone in that feeling, either.

(Shrug)

Oh well.

I can't imagine that I'm alone in that feeling, either.

I totally agree.  It has been forever that 10.3 has been cooking,  Very little communication and this is frustrating.  I do find myself spending much more time in Prepar3d and truly appreciate hearing from them on a frequent basis.  This is a bit of hyperbole but it seems that P3D will have a 64-bit platform before 10.3 ever gets released.  I still like xplane very much, but wish they had more resources working on it because they are falling behinder and behinder all the time. 

I totally agree.  It has been forever that 10.3 has been cooking,  Very little communication and this is frustrating.  I do find myself spending much more time in Prepar3d and truly appreciate hearing from them on a frequent basis.  This is a bit of hyperbole but it seems that P3D will have a 64-bit platform before 10.3 ever gets released.  I still like xplane very much, but wish they had more resources working on it because they are falling behinder and behinder all the time. 

Well, I spoke too soon.  Looks like an update hit today as was stated in another thread.

http://developer.x-plane.com/

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Not to bring back this thread for the non OR parts but I for one am happy to see that plane will have OR support.

Earlier in the week I bought the second dev kit that has some nice upgrades from the previous version. I am hoping that a couple of my simpits can be substantially downsized and start to be based around the OR.

I am certainly looking forward to other sim titles making the leap, so far the racing genres are making some inroads and it will be great to see a civilian flight sim make the change alongside the combat flight sims that are doing the same.

Oculus Rift sounds cool, but I wonder how many times i'll be spilling something on my keyboard or losing my controls after letting go for some other reason only to find I'm in a tailspin on my way to a date with mother earth. 

:unsure:

Pivot

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

Oculus Rift sounds cool, but I wonder how many times i'll be spilling something on my keyboard or losing my controls after letting go for some other reason only to find I'm in a tailspin on my way to a date with mother earth. 

:unsure:

Pivot

Hell I can manage that with out the Oculus rift just put me at the controls of a Dc-3  :blink:  :blush:

So... how are you going to work all those controls with the headset on?

Just feel around for levers and knobs? Hope to hit the right key?

I'm with Greg. There are a whole host of issues and improvements/additions that need to be made far beyond novelty features.

To paraphrase a few posts on the org:

===

No improvement yet. (regarding cloud shadows and general gloomy color saturation)

Before worrying about varied regionalized textures, worry about lighting. Ground lighting > ground textures. Everlasting overcast is getting old... Everlasting overcast without a change of seasons is NOT plausible.

http://4.bp.blogspot...Picture 008.jpg

Before worrying about varied regionalized textures, worry about seasons. Seasons > ground textures.

Clouds - same thing. In real life I don't fly under a giant pancaked mashed potato. This should be addressed. I don't care if the clouds look great if they end in a uniform radius around my aircraft.

What's are the least common denominators? Address those first. I don't read all the dev blogs, maybe this stuff is in the works.

XP10 has a lot of potential I'm afraid we won't see until XP11. I am afraid that without any meaningful competition there is no particular incentive to reinforce the unfinished foundation of a building that's missing doors.

---

(In response to user discoveries/tweaks/hacks to get cloud shadows and better atmosphere)

Thanks glasscockpits. I took a look when I got home. Read through all 10 pages. I stand by my comments.

Tweaks? No thanks. That isn't "fixed".

I do honestly appreciate the efforts of everyone involved and was both pleased and disillusioned that the solution may be in front of us but may remain effectively kept "hidden".

Time is a big asset to me. I am done with experimenting; yes, the results look like they're on the right track, at least, from a standpoint of improving the look. Unfortunately, I have other things taking up my time and will no longer go hunting and researching and experimenting to try to find some alchemic solution to something that should be addressed by the primary developer with an easy-to-understand user control panel. Yes, I know Laminar has never been known for this.

And obviously, this is just for one aspect (albeit an important one) of what I personally consider to be foundational aspects of flight, with others as mentioned in my post yesterday, that need to be addressed. For the record, Oculus Rift Compatibility is not one of them.

My fingers are crossed for 10.3.

Oculus has just been bought by Facebook ... interesting, very interesting ...

I still won't play Farmville.

Richard P. Kelly