Sign in to follow this  
HumptyDumpty

Understanding Metar and Airspace.

Hello Pilots,

I have this problem with understanding METAR , as I fly only on Vatsim i just check the wind direction and take the runway, I fly in Seattle hence the VFR for GA in Bravo airspace is 2500 clear of clouds. The problem is as I do not understand the weather report except the wind direction and speed , i try to level at FL25 but the clouds are below 2500 and that makes an IFR flight and I don't fly IFR I start going all over the place meaning I don't know what to do as I am so used to VFR flight , I am not too good with staying on the instruments only. Could some one point me to a good tutorial on METAR , would the FAA one be good ?

The other problem is understanding how big is the airspace for a given airport e.g. Bravo airspace Seatac.

Thanks,

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

US airspace classification is really well explained in PilotEdge VFR workshop:

METAR is really easy to decode, try with YT tutorial, wikipedia, Faa, whatever you find will work. It's the basic knowledge even PPL student have to demonstrate.

US airspace classification is really well explained in PilotEdge VFR workshop:

METAR is really easy to decode, try with YT tutorial, wikipedia, Faa, whatever you find will work. It's the basic knowledge even PPL student have to demonstrate.

Great stuff thanks . 

This metar decoder may help, I'm sure there are others.

I got the vatsim-UK pdf. understanding a little though. I will check this decoder you have pointed.

Thnx

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this