Sign in to follow this  
patrickpilot

Aircraft keeps rolling....!

I understand what Tom wants to simulate in his airplanes, but I don't think adding random oscillations on the Flight Model is the way to achieve realistic flight. I'm in favor for getting the basics as good as possible, even if it's a perfect flight in a perfect atmosphere that never exists in real life, but get that right first, make your plane fly and react exactly like it should. Then let other addons add the turbulence effect, the roughness in the atmosphere. Adding it in the FDM makes everything so much harde later to get right. Then we fly with fuel imbalance and get very strange results, fly in turbulent condition and the result is a mess. All because the Flight Model isn't as "Pure" as possible.

But I respect every ones vision of how it should be done. It's up to the consumers to decide if they like or not what they're about to purchase.

• Upvote 1

Alexis Mefano

Don't forget the prop wash.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

i have this feeling that this discussion somehow went into the wrong direction.

my aircraft is very stable in xplane. i use the trim wheel to have a nice and smooth straightlevel flight.  it's just the banking!  the movement itself is pretty realistic, it just needs to self center , once the yoke is centered again.

i wrote carenado:

Dear Carenado Team,
I'm currently working on my PPL and fly a Cessna 152. Your model is quite nice, but what I can't understand are the roll dynamics.
Everytime I slightly move the yoke to left or right, the aircraft keeps banking until I contradict this with a movement into the opposite direction.
Shouldn't it selfcenter when I release the yoke?

Is the any option , that I could change in plane maker or xplane to correct this problem? It makes the sim almost useless for me...

Thank and best regards,
Patrick

------------------------------------------------------

Greetings,
The flight dynamics for the C152 (and all Carenado aircraft) are based on the flight dynamics of the real airplane, following all performance tables included in the actual flight manual for the plane. But if you need to change something, to achieve the flight dynamics you want, you may do that in plane maker, to get the plane "self correcting" bank angle, you may start changing the dihedral angle of the wings, or moving the CG to a lower position.
We don't usually give any support regarding in how to modify our planes.
Regards

Carenado Support

what do you guys think about that? Ever tried to change the dihedral angle of the wings? 

Thanks!! 

By the way, do you think Prepare 3D is more realistic? I don't care about scenery, for me it's just important to simulate the flight experience as realistic as possible....

i have this feeling that this discussion somehow went into the wrong direction.

my aircraft is very stable in xplane. i use the trim wheel to have a nice and smooth straightlevel flight.  it's just the banking!  the movement itself is pretty realistic, it just needs to self center , once the yoke is centered again.

i wrote carenado:

Hey Patrick,

There is a lot of talk about X-plane's Torque bug, there is a fix to it. I don't have a Carenado so I can not help you implement it. 

But I use this freeware from Xpfr MS893 which tends to spin to the left more often while taxing , sometimes I feel it is the wind hitting the tail causing the yaw , as i mentioned earlier I still have the left bank issue but that I fix it using the aileron trim and rudder trim.  But many times she spins like crazy and I am way off the taxi way.  

I don't know if this relevant to the problem you are facing but you could either google for the torque bug fix or check here or at the .org hopefully it may help.

Let us know if it works , as I am planning to get Carenado F33A.

Check this :

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=69706

You can use Plane Maker yes.

Would love to comment on P3d but I don't have it.

By the way, do you think Prepare 3D is more realistic? I don't care about scenery, for me it's just important to simulate the flight experience as realistic as possible....

I'd suggest going with FSX (or P3D if you prefer, but it's got some teething pains for some people and FSX is dirt cheap these days), and the A2A Cessna 172.  The A2A plane will get your flight experience about as close as it's possible to get.

Example:  You'd better do a pre-flight inspection because things get worn or break.  Plugs foul, so it's important to do a proper run-up.  (You can turn those off if you wish.)  The A2A has a custom flight model built into the aircraft.  All the sounds come from an actual aircraft.  You can tell what's going on during flight by subtle changes in the sounds.  Head over to A2Asimulations.com and check out their videos.

Or stay with XPlane... but since you asked.  :)

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Maybe its just me, but this guy never keeps the yoke centered for more than a half second, no matter where in the flight regime he is. I challenge you to find a video where the yoke stays as steady and centered as the one on your desktop. Keep a sharp eye on the yoke all throughout the video!

TomK

Thank you for that link/video. I checked out some of his other videos and subscribed to his YouTube channel. Good stuff.

Thanks again,

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

our flight club's two c152s are very stable. if there is a bank, the airplane rolls back to center without input.

during my ppl-a lessons in a c152 my instructor adviced me to get hands off the yoke if you get disoriented in clouds. he even demonstrated the aircraft stability on the short final only using the rudder until flare...

• Upvote 3

our flight club's two c152s are very stable. if there is a bank, the airplane rolls back to center without input.

during my ppl-a lessons in a c152 my instructor adviced me to get hands off the yoke if you get disoriented in clouds. he even demonstrated the aircraft stability on the short final only using the rudder until flare...

Thank you for your post!

That was informative, I've nerver flown in a C152, but that is my impression from other small

training / touring aircraft. I mean these planes are meant to fly stable.

Thanks again.

I tell you , the Sbach 300 while taxing is the worst , Jcomm tried to help but I have not reached anywhere. just spins out control and starts on the wingtip LOL, I am trying one those Torque tweaks hopefully it works.

I tell you , the Sbach 300 while taxing is the worst , Jcomm tried to help but I have not reached anywhere. just spins out control and starts on the wingtip LOL, I am trying one those Torque tweaks hopefully it works.

OK,

I have tweaked the SBach for you!

Just one tweak needed to make the take off way easier!

I also added the torque fix.

PMed you.

Ok - this is a trick - right?  I downloaded the SBach 300 and it flies like a dream - without any adjustments.  When on the ground, you have to hold back on the stick, or yoke in my case, but it is no problem.  The rear just tends to rise quickly.  With toe brakes and rudder control, even that is no big obstacle... just don't nose it over when slowing!

John

John Wingold

OK,

I have tweaked the SBach for you!

Just one tweak needed to make the take off way easier!

I also added the torque fix.

PMed you.

Got it. will check it tonight, thanks.

Ok - this is a trick - right?  I downloaded the SBach 300 and it flies like a dream - without any adjustments.  When on the ground, you have to hold back on the stick, or yoke in my case, but it is no problem.  The rear just tends to rise quickly.  With toe brakes and rudder control, even that is no big obstacle... just don't nose it over when slowing!

John

She is a gem. 

Yeah I figured as much about the yoke.  I don't have any rudder pedals, i am using a broken logitech attack 3 as a rudder and throttle and it is hand based.

"Trimmed and properly rigged" airplanes have often been described as a marble sitting in a bowl. While a helicopter in hover is a marble with the bowl turned upside down. This is true! We're not sitting in the cockpit making constant corrections. You can "feel" the stabilizing flow of air against the ailerons, which connect to the stick or yoke. We are centered in that bowl, gutter, or perhaps the center of a boat wake. When ripples of air, or mild turbulence move those ailerons, the stick or yoke will also move. But..........we're NOT "constantly" the ones moving it. And that's conciously, or unconciously(spell?)

It's a fact, small airplanes in trimmed conditions won't fly an altitude or heading hands off. You do have to make minor corrections. But unless the turbulence really pics up, you don't feel as though you must make constant corrections to stay somewhat on course or altitude. The plane is doing that, all by itself. My wife, as well as several friends of mine, flew my airplane for hours. They are not pilots, and my plane was not considered nearly as stable as a Cessna high wing. It's the reason most pilots prefer an auto-pilot for IFR operations, in a small higher performance aircraft, such as the RV-6 I owned.

Personally, I prefer a joystick that's not jumping around. FF would probably feel too phoney, unless it's super accurate.

• Upvote 1