Sign in to follow this  
BobKK47

Rudder and Ailerons linked-Citation V

I was watching a youtube video of a Cessna Citation V.   The pilot was not touching the yoke but it was turning left/right in response to his use of the rudder pedals while he was taxiing to the departing runway.  

One of the video's viewers asked about this and the pilot indicated that this aircraft used an interconnected rudder/aileron,  and he only used the yoke to make coordinated turns.

I know that some large aircraft (B747 etc.) make turns using the yoke (with no rudder input) and an automated spoiler system on the rising wing to reduce the reverse yaw effect.   But does anyone know of any other aircraft besides the Citation V that have an interconnected rudder/aileron.

My question really relates to any add-on FSX aircraft such as the Flight 1 Citation Mustang, or Citation X and whether this feature is modeled.

Thanks.

You are confusing taxiing with flying.  All airplanes are steerable on the ground in one of 3 ways: Nosewheel steering through a tiller or steering wheel as on most large transport category aircraft such as the B747, with rudder fine steering for takeoff and landing rolls. Nosewheel (or tailwheel) steering through the rudder peddles and differential breaking for tight turns as in most light aircraft, and some corporate jets like the Citation V. Lastly, differential braking so that the nosewheel or tailwheel shoppingcarts, as in most taildraggers, and the Cirrus. 

What you saw was the pilot using the rudder for nosewheel steering on the ground.  Nothing to do with flying. Here is your confusion: Aircraft such as the B747, and Citation V that are equipped with a yaw dampener can make coordinated turns in flight with just aileron input because the yaw dampener will automatically work the rudder as needed to maintain a coordinated turn. Yaw dampener is required to be operational on any swept wing plane to avoid dutch roll. The spoiler input on all large transport aircraft including the B747 is on the DECENDING wing to increase roll rate. If it were on the ascending wing, the lift "spoiled" would cancel the aileron input, and the plane would not roll. It has nothing to do with adverse yaw (not reverse yaw, no such thing). The pilot that said the Citation V has an interconnect system is incorrect, or was mis understood. Such systems consist of bungee cords cross connecting the rudder and aileron control cables on some light aircraft such as the Cirrus, and Cessna 210.  The bungee cords are needed so that the pilot can overpower the connection during crosswind landings.  Jets do not have such systems.  Many jets don't even have control cables, they are "fly by wire". The Citation series of airplanes has a hydraulic flight control system, consisting of cables from the yoke and peddles connected to hydraulic valves. Because the airplane has a yaw damper, there is no reason to have any interconnect.  The straight wing Citations can be safely flown with the yaw damper inoperative. 

As all this relates to your question, the Citation V nosewheel is steerable like a light airplane through the rudder peddles.  The mechanical linkage disengages when the nosewheel retracts. In flight the yaw dampener is activated to keep "the ball" centered in the turn and bank indicator, or slip-skid indicator.  The pilot can then fly with his feet on the floor until the landing approach. FSX models the ground handling not very well, in that it is way more sensitive that the real thing.  In flight, with FSX auto coordination off, the Caranado Citation S/II that I play with in FSX does not seem to model the yaw dampener at all.  Some FSX add on airliners do have ways of modeling the yaw dampener.  I keep auto coordination off, so I can make approaches in a manner vaguely like the real airplane. 

I am a flight instructor, and an ATP rated pilot currently flying BE-90, and studying my Citation books as I a await my company to send me to FlightSafety for my Citation II/v type rating. I have been flying many different types of airplanes since 1972, and have made use of desktop sims going back to "Flight Assignment ATP", which pre-dates Microsoft Flight Simulator.  I hold a BS in Aeronautics from Dowling College. 

AND you are talking to the past.  Did you realize this topic is over 4 years old!😱  Necroposting is frowned upon.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: