Sign in to follow this  
hawk_eye1975

Beginners Guide to Scenery Creation for FS9

i have been reading, and reading, and reading for the past week or so non stop about how to create photo real scenery and no matter how hard i try i cant make any sense of it at all. I was searching for forums and faqs on it and this came up. All i want is to add a a photo real texture for an approach path for GCFV and try and build/make my own building, just one which i will use for backdrop purposes. However i have treid and tried and tried, and read, and researched - you get the picture. But i still have no idea what to do, can any one help me?:(

But i still have no idea what to do, can any one help me?

Welcome to AVSIM.

Have you tried the scenery related forums here?

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/

Regards,

Mel

Hi FS9ers,

sorry for warming up this thread - it's pinned, so...

However, here is my question. I'm looking for a tool to look at the content of a third party scenery library. My aim is to find out the GUIDs and/or IDs of the contented objects to address them via default.xml.

I searched a while in Avsim's scenery design forum and fsdeveloper.com. But I was quite confused because of my very little knowledge; I'm unsure what to look for at all. Perhaps somebody can point me towards a good source or even a useful tool.

Many thanks and regards

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I searched a while in Avsim's scenery design forum and fsdeveloper.com. But I was quite confused because of my very little knowledge; I'm unsure what to look for at all. Perhaps somebody can point me towards a good source or even a useful tool.

Hi Harald - It has been a while!

I the file you are interested in are or were done with XML there is XML2BGL available at John Masterson's web site ( same site as where ADE is found ).

http://www.scruffyduck.org/bgl2xml/4584282773

Another is:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/bglxml.90/

With both of these basically all you have to do is make a copy of the BGL you are interested in and drop it on the icon in the the utility file you are using.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Hi Mel,

oh yes, quite a while! I hope you do well.

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, both tools don't work for me; the bgl seems not to be compiled from an xml file. Maybe I use an incorrect file as well. Will test further...

Best regards,

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Maybe I use an incorrect file as well. Will test further...

Hi again Harald, sorry it has taken so long to reply. Yes I am doing well thank you.

At Avsim do a search for ' Winfried Orthmann ' in the file library. On the first page, the file is the fifth one down called "bglana31.zip" and it can be used to look into the older - non XML files.

Regards,

Hi, Mel,

thanks again for your help. This tool enabled looking into the bgl-file - it wasn't the object library I thought it was. However, this fact was also a valuable information for me... I see that scenery development is some steps too high for me, or as we say in Germany: "Schuster bleib bei deinem Leisten." :smile:

Greetings and best regards,

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

So - this is a really late posting in comparison to the last one.

I currently have a custom FS2004 KORD scenery from 2016 (freeware) that still has RWYs 14/32.

How can a guy who has never done scenery design stuff edit the scenery to remove these runways and associated ILS?  No intent to worry about AI traffic, which I have turned off in FS2004 anyway.