Sign in to follow this  
Novation

Concorde Landing gear - Silly Question :-)

Okay, I know I am a bit stupid, but.... how on earth does the front undercarriage of Concorde fit in the space, and through the aperture in the fuselage?

Obviously it does, but looking at the lowered gear on Concorde 002 at the Fleet Air Arm Museum I simply can't fathom it. What you can see in the pics is about 2/3rds of the total hight of the gear. Some parts you think might telescope cant due to pipes, cabling etc... there is an awful lot to fit in, what appears to be, a very small space [both vertically and horizontally]... and its even more baffling when you see it for real.

I talked to someone else who was looking around, and at first I could tell they thought I was an idiot, but after looking for a few moments he could not work it out either.

I've tried to find video of it in action, that satisfy my curiosity, but can't.

N6kj.jpg

yq4CY.jpg

D72b8.jpg

My wife attemps to fix Concorde’s engine... without success.

bxgqE.jpg

Ahh... so doors open to the front. Of course, it seems so simple now, and proves my point about being stupid... I assumed it somehow retracted through the opening you see in the pics.

Great!... I can sleep easy now :lol:

The gear well itself is longer than shown in your photos.

http://www.concordesst.com/gear.html

frontgearsmall.gif

Thanks guys.

That diagram never appeared in my searches.

British engineering, that's how!

As a Brit who once owned a British-made Triumph Spitfire sports-car, that broke down and left me stranded in France, and a British-made Triumph motorbike -who's engine exploded under me at high speed, I know first hand about 'British engineering'  ;-)

As a Brit who once owned a British-made Triumph Spitfire sports-car, that broke down and left me stranded in France, and a British-made Triumph motorbike -who's engine exploded under me at high speed, I know first hand about 'British engineering'  ;-)

Ok... that was funny... though I owned a Spitfire and wish I had one these days.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I owned a Spitfire and wish I had one these days.

Yes Spit sports-cars would certainly be worth money these days.

I've never known a car handle so well around corners (no need to slow down basically). Pity the engine wasn't that reliable.

How's this for over-the-top advertising ;-)   >