Sign in to follow this  
gosta

What about the new Flight Level Regulations?

If I am not mistaken, in the last few days separation in flight levels above 29,000 feet have been reduced from 2,000 feet to 1,000 feet by the FAA in the United States. I certainly am ready to stand corrected if I misinterpreted this issue.All of my real world aviation experience is in the light stuff well below the altitudes in question, but I am curious from a FlightSim standpoint.I have been a little surprised that no post has been made regarding this (And I may have overlooked it).Just wondered if this is going to be ignored in our Sim world, particularly in the next version of MS assuming that it is well underway?Current FS9 ATC, VatSim, and a number of other applications may have become a bit corrupt for we simmers realtive to real world navigation now. Any speculation on how this will be addressed, (or am I all wet and totally misread what is going on)?Happy Flying:RTH 1585368CFI

Guest RonB49

Perhaps this is a case of life (FAA) imitating art (MSFS). I believe that MSFS has always had 1000' separation at all altitudes (even above FL290). R-

You are probably correct. Wouldn't be surprised at anything FS9 defaults permitted. I think you can pick VFR altitudes at FL500 and meet AI aircraft at incorrect altitudes just about anywhere.Negative (at least for some FS9 applications):Don't fly much with the FS9 default provisions at that altitude, but one definitely will be corrected on VatSim and some other applicable programs. ProPilot use to correct an incorrectly entered altitude as well going back to FS2000.Thanks for the comment.Rth

Hi Rhodges,I posted a similar topic in Hangar Chat which is the real world aviation forum. The new seperation regulations is called DRVSM which stands for Domestic Reduced Vertical Seperation Minnimums and yes you are correct it creates a total of six new flight levels between FL290 and FL410. It was implemented to smooth flow of traffic and eas contorller workload, we have yet to see if it works out.Jeff USAF

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

DRVSM? Any difference to the usual RVSM rules or is it just a case of re-naming the wheel? ;)

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest P3_Super_Bee

(Reduced Vertical Seperation Minimum)RVSM is the correct term. -North Americas breakdown looks/ed like this. The rest of the world had simalar naming conventions as well. NDRVSM =Canda Northern DomesticSDRVSM =Canda Southern SomesticDRVSM =United States DomesticMRVSM =Mexican DomesticFor example DRVSM is/was THE program the is/was in charge of the switch over. Nothing more/Nothing less.The rules could be somewhat different, not all Countries/regions use the 000 to 179 = Odd Flight Levels, 180-359 = Even Flight levels.New Zealand for example uses 270 to 089 = Odd Flight Levels and 090 to 269 = Even Flight Levels.:-outtahttp://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/i...s/sign_name.jpgThere is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child

Guest RonB49

Are these rules in effect now? The next time I fly West can I expect to be flying at FL320 or FL340 rather than FL310 or FL350? R-EDIT to add: My questions refer to US airspace. R-

Ron, I belive the new RVSM rules are in effect now (real world), but in short the only thing that happens is that instead of having 2000ft of separation between east/west flight levels it is now 1000ft. So if you for instance earlier could choose FL310, FL350 and FL390 when going easterly you now have FL310, FL330, FL350, FL370 and FL390 to choose from (just examples). Eastwardbound still means odd levels and westbound have even ones.The rules means that there are tougher demands on for instance different aircraft systems, but I have no idea about the specifics.

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Europe of course has had RVSM for a while now and it does make choosing flight levels a bit easier in that you don't have the 'step' to change from odd to even that was there in the 'old' system. (Sorry, can't remember the flight level the 'step' was at, been flying RVSM for too long :-) )Now, AFAIK if flying East all FL's are odd, flying West all FL's are even, aprt from those Countries that use a North/South split, such as Spain, Switzerland, Portugal, Italy, France, and any others I missed ;-)AFAIK VATSIM are using RVSM because there was an event to mark the introduction of DRVSM at one of the VATSIM USA Centres.

Finally! Not a day too early! :(Cheers,

Guest Philip Olson

Gosta, This is totally tongue in cheek so please do not think that I am serious. I am afraid this is not the case here, what it is, is another case of someone blaming the Americans for something that they did not do, again. Amazing how we Americans get blamed for all kinds of stuff that is incorrect. Just goes to show that Americans are always right and Canadians are always wrong. :( Again I state, this post is only good natured joking and not serious in the least. Please do not flame me if you can not see that this is a joke, unless you are joking too. :-) All the best!Philip OlsonI'm the luckiest man in the world, my girl friend has a yoke and rudder pedals! Eat your hearts out!http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest bobsk8

In the real world, in requires altitude measuring equipment that has a higher level of accuracy to fly on these flight levels, I believe. In FS9 that would probably mean that only Payware Aircraft could utilize these flight levels.. ;)

Hi Philip,I love your post - and the disclaimer was not necessary, but unfortunately understandable by recent outbursts on these boards.Anyway, let me add that although I live here, I am not Canadian and locals tend to take great offence when I refer to their country as 'America Lite'... ;)Cheers,Gosta.http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2betateam.jpg