Sign in to follow this  
John Pavey

Braking Problem at St Maarten TNCM

Keep the reversers and spoilers on/up until you reach about 60kts. It takes a lot of strain off the brakes and below that speed the brakes can take over (and the reversers and spoilers are not very effective below 60kts anyway).

FOD = Foreign Object Damage.

I'll try this here and see what it does (stock FSX airport, Acceleration).

Out of interest, do you have service failures enabled? With it affecting the left side, maybe it is some kind of defect? Also check to see if you have a crosswind...maybe in attempting to keep it straight something is inadvertently causing the brakes on the left side to apply much more than the right.

Try this using "Clear Weather" theme (no winds).

Best regards,

Robin.

Hey Gang!

Just for reference and to chime in.  I just did at least 4 circle circuits this morning at TNCM:

1. British Airways 777-200LR

2. 15% fuel on L & R tanks and 5% on both Center tanks

3. Purposely landed a little long to test braking performance

Here's what i did:

1. Touchdown speed between 145 and 150kts

2. Autobrake set to 1

3. Speedbrakes armed

4. Reverse thrust through 50kts - disengaged below 50 kts

5. Autobrake disengaged below 40kts

Never an issue guys.  I came down to 15kts with plenty of runway to spare and turn around and without overheating.

I suspect something funny with either aircraft configuration, landing execution, or maybe PMDG setup.

Dennis

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

on the take off roll, tire heat averages began to rise significantly to the point that just prior to lift off, I did get both a BRAKE TEMP and TIRE PRESS warning displayed and notice that the temperature averages for both the left and right main tires was rising above 5.0.  .

This means your brakes are sticking and you are accelerating with at least partial brakes!

Make sure all wheel chocks are removed via the FMC!

(but I think you said you did that already)

Make sure to clear any failures via the CDU.

if that does not help, then clearly something is wrong with the simulation on your PC.

So, if these flights are from a panel state (or flight) you created and saved, then try the same flight but set it up completely fresh (from the FSX interface, create new flight) and start the flight from the default "engines running" panel state. (not a self created panel state or the cold and dark panel state which is bugged).

And if that does not help....I think it is best to write PMDG a support ticket.

Rob Robson

(Incidentally, I tried another trip to TNCM, this time taking off from MDPP in Puerta Plata.  It's interesting, (probably not coincidental) that on the take off roll, tire heat averages began to rise significantly to the point that just prior to lift off, I did get both a BRAKE TEMP and TIRE PRESS warning displayed and notice that the temperature averages for both the left and right main tires was rising above 5.0.  Fortunately, the plane was rotating at that point and I cooled the brakes at that point.  My take off procedure was no different than usual - Toes on the brakes, thrust levers smoothly advance to 55% N1 at which point I engage TOGA and commence the roll.  On all other take offs, I have never had a problem with overheating tires.)

I am with the other guys, you probably have a stuck brake or a similar fault.

Well it looks like something's wrong with the simulation at my end.   Just tried landings at three different airports - Toronto (CYYZ), New York (KJFK) and Ft Lauderdale (KFLL).  In all cases, the approach config was the same (Autobrakes 2; Flaps 30; Spoilers armed and Autothrottle armed with speed set at 140.  In all cases, I had the Gear screen displayed so I could check the brake temps -  After landing, disengaged reverse thrust at 50 kts.  Nothing out the ordinary guys - the highest brake temp was 0.8!   Went back and tried the landing at St Maarten and you guessed it - brake temp reaching around 7.0 before I shut it down.  Looks like I'll have to check it out with PDMG.

Intel I7 3770K @ 4.2Ghz CPU; Asus Z77 Sabertooth MB; 16GB DDR-1866 RAM; Asus GTX 1070Ti 8Gb GPU; Samsung 850EVO 500Gb SSD; 3 X BENQ GW2760 27" Monitors; GoFlight Airliner Modules; Windows 10

Looks like I'll have to check it out with PDMG.

Let us know what they say please.

Rob Robson

Well it looks like something's wrong with the simulation at my end.   Just tried landings at three different airports - Toronto (CYYZ), New York (KJFK) and Ft Lauderdale (KFLL).  In all cases, the approach config was the same (Autobrakes 2; Flaps 30; Spoilers armed and Autothrottle armed with speed set at 140.  In all cases, I had the Gear screen displayed so I could check the brake temps -  After landing, disengaged reverse thrust at 50 kts.  Nothing out the ordinary guys - the highest brake temp was 0.8!   Went back and tried the landing at St Maarten and you guessed it - brake temp reaching around 7.0 before I shut it down.  Looks like I'll have to check it out with PDMG.

Are you using the exact airline company or different ones? I.E., do they all respond the same way? If its the same company then, PMDG has an option to reset configuration in the FMC i believe each individual aircraft. Or, have you tried a full maintenance on the aircraft. I know its crazy to think this might work, but PMDG has crafted this aircraft to be as real as it gets.

Troy

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

Hi John,

Just want to second what Rob said. You never said whether you are starting your approaches to TNCM from the same saved flight. Often a bug gets into a saved flight, which includes a saved panel state.

Robin, thanks on FOD.

Mike

if that does not help, then clearly something is wrong with the simulation on your PC.

So, if these flights are from a panel state (or flight) you created and saved, then try the same flight but set it up completely fresh (from the FSX interface, create new flight) and start the flight from the default "engines running" panel state. (not a self created panel state or the cold and dark panel state which is bugged).

And if that does not help....I think it is best to write PMDG a support ticket.

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi Folks - well it looks like Rob was on the right track re panel states.  I performed a number of test cases flying to TNCM as well as 4 other destinations using both the default and 777 Long panel states.  In most cases, the brake overheating issue occurred only at TNCM and only when I loaded the 777 Long panel state.  There were no issues when I loaded the default panel state and flew to TNCM.  I fed the test results to PMDG and this was their response:

"John

I suspect this is one of the issues we discovered with the saved panel state files.  There was a problem with the release version of the 777 that caused a lot of strange behaviour with saved panel states but it has been corrected for the upcoming  SP1 update. Hopefully that will be released shortly.  Let me know if you see this issue again after the SP1 update."

Intel I7 3770K @ 4.2Ghz CPU; Asus Z77 Sabertooth MB; 16GB DDR-1866 RAM; Asus GTX 1070Ti 8Gb GPU; Samsung 850EVO 500Gb SSD; 3 X BENQ GW2760 27" Monitors; GoFlight Airliner Modules; Windows 10