Sign in to follow this  
Sambo71

FSX Weather settings for Active Sky Next?

Hi Everyone,

Is there any specific settings that I should set in FSX weather when setting up ASN?

weather.jpg

"Speed is Life, Altitude is Insurance"

sigpic607877_4.gif

Apparently, ASN overwrites FSX settings when in use, as it runs outside of the FSX shell. I do believe you should do all the setting up in the ASN interface. You might want to clear FSUIPC weather settings, should anything be set there...

A

Andrew Entwistle

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the info, I cleared all FSUIPC weather settings...

Everything is looking awesome, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything!

: )

"Speed is Life, Altitude is Insurance"

sigpic607877_4.gif

just set the cloud coverage density to maximum, all other settings are done by ASN

On page 22 of the ASN manual it is said that: "Internal simulation options, such as Cloud coverage density also can have a dramatic performance effect." So after I lowered cloud coverage density, internally in FSX settings, my FPS increased a lot. So this means that the ASN doesn't control this setting.

Cheers

Safe simming

Marko

The only suggestion I heard that made sense was that your cloud draw distance needed to be the same as what you have it set at in ASN.  As for the other settings, cannot hurt to experiment, if it is FPS you are trying to gain.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Hi, if you have ASN active and controlling your weather and you do any setting on FSX weather, it cancels your ASN settings immediately.  That's, at least, my experience with weather settings in FSX.  

One thing I would like to ask you simmers, and that is, if you set stormy weather with lots of wind, for example, on PMDG planes and other developers' planes, you cannot get established on the localizer for an autoland, even at the right localizer height.  I've tried this a few times with the same end results. I mean the plane does  move a bit extra up and down with the turbulence, but it should still catch the localizer, isn't it?  Do you guys also find it so?  I must also try to set my cloud density in FSX lower for hopefully a better performance, when using ASN.. Never tried that. 

Thanks, cheers. 

john goncalves. 

Hi, if you have ASN active and controlling your weather and you do any setting on FSX weather, it cancels your ASN settings immediately.  That's, at least, my experience with weather settings in FSX.  

One thing I would like to ask you simmers, and that is, if you set stormy weather with lots of wind, for example, on PMDG planes and other developers' planes, you cannot get established on the localizer for an autoland, even at the right localizer height.  I've tried this a few times with the same end results. I mean the plane does  move a bit extra up and down with the turbulence, but it should still catch the localizer, isn't it?  Do you guys also find it so?  I must also try to set my cloud density in FSX lower for hopefully a better performance, when using ASN.. Never tried that. 

Thanks, cheers. 

john goncalves. 

Please elaborate.  You state that if you use ASN for weather, so does the settings in sim get automatically cancelled out?Should we then move all the sliders and uncheck all features pertaining to weather in sim to allow for full control from ASN?

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

No, Jim,  actually the way around. If you using ASN and for any reason, you do any setting on FSX weather, it will cancel  the ASN weather settings.

john

No, Jim,  actually the way around. If you using ASN and for any reason, you do any setting on FSX weather, it will cancel  the ASN weather settings.

john

Ok, let me rephrase, so you open your sim and set everything off or lowest slider setting, apply changes, close the sim and then open ASN and then the sim.  Would that process yield better frames as you effectively cancelled out any sim weather intervention?

-Jim

Yes, you should first open ASN and then fsx as stated on the ASN manual. Marko did sugest that the weather setting in fsx "cloud coverage" sliders should be moved to the left side, Jim. I'll have to try that one out. I also wrote that if you do any setting on fsx weather it will neutralize ASN's weather setting.. That has happened to me.

Any ideas on the localizer issue from my first post? Thanks.

Cheers.

John goncalves

In my experience ASN works independently from FSX internal weather settings except for the cloud coverage density setting. That particular setting can have significant impact on FPS which I tried and can confirm. As regards the other weather settings I think that they should be left as is, or you can change them, it doesn't matter, because ASN are controlling them externally. So again in my experience change cloud coverage density internally in FSX than save that weather settings and than fire up ASN which than controls the rest of weather settings.

Wish you all clear skies and safe simming

Marko

Yes Marko I do believe that is so. Thanks for the input.  Thanks Jim.

john goncalves

I have some similar questions to the above that I hope someone can clarify - I run ASN then go into my Preapr3Dv3 and notice under weather themes is selected and cold fronts - do I need to change anything here to get ASN working correctly on my flight - notice there is also a clear weather theme and also an activesky theme in my options....any help appreciated as this has always confused me!