Sign in to follow this  
bmcallister

FSX Blocky Clouds

Okay so I have just re-installed FSX on my new computer running windows 7. I also have REX essentials plus overdrive installed. I have loaded up FSX and the clouds where big squares and if I climbed above the clouds all clouds would disappear. I have tried re-installing FSX many times but they won't go away. Please help.

Hopefully you didn't save your previous Fsx.cfg and use it in the new install of FSX.  Go to the REX program and return cloud textures to the default.  Go into the fsx settings weather page and click on Return to default.  Restart FSX.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hopefully you didn't save your previous Fsx.cfg and use it in the new install of FSX.  Go to the REX program and return cloud textures to the default.  Go into the fsx settings weather page and click on Return to default.  Restart FSX.

Best regards,

Well I tried this but I will still get the blocky clouds is there anything else to do?

I've seen blocky clouds when my computer simply could not keep up with the demands of FSX.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I've seen blocky clouds when my computer simply could not keep up with the demands of FSX.

But I have a gaming computer and fsx could run fine on my old computer. My pc specs are

Asrock z77 extreme 4

AMD powercolor 7770 

8gb of ram

Intel Core i5 3570k OC to 4.2ghz.

My computer should be able to run fsx fine.

But I have a gaming computer and fsx could run fine on my old computer. My pc specs are

Still can't max out your settings in REX, FSX, display driver, weather programs, etc., etc.  It might work okay for a few flights but it's not going to last very long as you'll start seeing more and more problems and it will get less and less fun.  Maybe max settings for the default aircraft/scenery but not for addons like Orbx.  If you went into REX and told that program you want 4096 textures and you set FSX's Texture_Max_Load to 4096, it will get ugly fast!!  Even in the Orbx guides they suggest moderation even for the most powerful systems.  Tweaks are killers too if not properly employed.  Reduce your settings and let FSX breath a little and not be fighting to render graphics and the physics of flight.  The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide provides excellent settings which can be modified slightly but, for the most part should be strictly followed.  Even those settings are a little high though for many but your system should be able to handle the configurations.  Unfortunately though it does not have a configuration for your AMD/ATI video card w/1GB of memory. 

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10