Sign in to follow this  
jaben428

Pixelated Water Textures

Hello everyone,

Recently I've been having issues with blurry/pixelated water textures. I've tried everything to revert it. Reinstalling backups, disabling addons, rebuuilding shader cache, rebuilding fsx.cfg, the whole 9-yards. Nothing seems to correct it! I also tried using FSWC to see if it would help and sadly it did not. It looks as if the water is just rendered in low resolution which I cannot understand as I've tried (and since reset) my config to 4098 using freeware HD textures. I've since reverted back to default and still getting pixelation. Please help!

This is using FSWC:

25xSHeB.jpg

This is default water:

KXGMIZ6.jpg

I've had this before. Have you altered the waterconstants.xml file or installed a shader mod like Bojotes Shader Model 3 program? That sort of stuff always messed up my water and sometimes the water disappeared completely, it is also not compatible with FSWC. To uninstall, it should be in the Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall Programs, uninstalling this will fix it. Don't forget to also delete and rebuild shaders again.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

G MIDY, I actually did use Bjotes Sharder 3 mod but only AFTER this issue had been occuring. I thought it would fix it!  :O

It definitely made things worse so I uninstalled it and cleared my shader cache. I knew about the incompatibility between shader 3 and FSWC so I didn't use them together. I also did not modify the .xml file but is it possible it got changed? I don't know if I have a backup of the original. Suggestions? Could this be another issue not related to the .xml?

G MIDY, I actually did use Bjotes Sharder 3 mod but only AFTER this issue had been occuring. I thought it would fix it!  :O

It definitely made things worse so I uninstalled it and cleared my shader cache. I knew about the incompatibility between shader 3 and FSWC so I didn't use them together. I also did not modify the .xml file but is it possible it got changed? I don't know if I have a backup of the original. Suggestions? Could this be another issue not related to the .xml?

I found this link which contains the FSX default HLSL folders (SP2 files), it might be worth backing your current ones up too just in case it causes any problems. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52676345/Stock_ShadersHLSL_SP2/ShadersHLSL.zip

I think it may be possible something got altered but I'm not sure if your problem is the waterconstants file or not, the above should rule out any problems with the shader folder. Of course this will require a shader rebuild too.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

I found this link which contains the FSX default HLSL folders (SP2 files), it might be worth backing your current ones up too just in case it causes any problems. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52676345/Stock_ShadersHLSL_SP2/ShadersHLSL.zip

I think it may be possible something got altered but I'm not sure if your problem is the waterconstants file or not, the above should rule out any problems with the shader folder. Of course this will require a shader rebuild too.

Thanks for the help. I tried it out and didn't see any improvement. It also didn't make anything worse so it's effect was null. Any other suggestions?

That's a strange one, the only thing I can suggest now is an FSX repair because that should replace all files to their default state and hopefully solve it. It could be the WaterConstants.XML but I'm not sure where you can get hold of the default file. Feel free to try mine - https://www.dropbox.com/s/3k7ermohba34unn/WaterConstants.Xml

It might also be worth a backup and reset of the FSX.cfg just to see what happens too.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

my config to 4098 using freeware HD textures

This should be 4096.  Not sure the inaccurate parameter is recognized and it may be defaulting back to 1024.  You should also use your zoom key and zoom out to about 40 or 50 percent (use the + or - keys).

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

That's a strange one, the only thing I can suggest now is an FSX repair because that should replace all files to their default state and hopefully solve it. It could be the WaterConstants.XML but I'm not sure where you can get hold of the default file. Feel free to try mine - https://www.dropbox.com/s/3k7ermohba34unn/WaterConstants.Xml

It might also be worth a backup and reset of the FSX.cfg just to see what happens too.

Thanks for the upload. I tried it out and it didn't seem to change anything. Even the surface reflections in the water are pixelated. It's just not crisp at all like it should be. 

This should be 4096.  Not sure the inaccurate parameter is recognized and it may be defaulting back to 1024.  You should also use your zoom key and zoom out to about 40 or 50 percent (use the + or - keys).

Best regards,

Sorry about that, I meant 4096. Regardless I've tried it and it didn't change the resolution of the water.

I just did a full, clean, reinstall of FSX and the issue is still there. It's leading me to believe something is affecting the water possibly outside FSX and not a particular texture. I'm using nVidia Inspector and have the latest geforce drivers 334.89. Could it be a driver issue or shader issue? If so why does it only affect the water??

Thanks for all your help so far.

This is what the water should look like when reflected: http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj107/berlopez/WaterTexturesdaytime.jpg. Obviously, that's not what I'm getting!

That's what my water looks like ..if i zoom in i see the same as you.it's the same as ground textures.higher you go the better they look.

steve

Thanks for the upload. I tried it out and it didn't seem to change anything. Even the surface reflections in the water are pixelated. It's just not crisp at all like it should be. 

Sorry about that, I meant 4096. Regardless I've tried it and it didn't change the resolution of the water.

I just did a full, clean, reinstall of FSX and the issue is still there. It's leading me to believe something is affecting the water possibly outside FSX and not a particular texture. I'm using nVidia Inspector and have the latest geforce drivers 334.89. Could it be a driver issue or shader issue? If so why does it only affect the water??

Thanks for all your help so far.

This is what the water should look like when reflected: http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj107/berlopez/WaterTexturesdaytime.jpg. Obviously, that's not what I'm getting!

That's really strange, indeed a FSX reinstall should fix practically any issue like this. I am inclined to think it might be related to drivers but then again it would affect all textures in some way too. How is your GFX card setup, Anisotropic Filtering is set to 16x etc? Also, it is quite obvious but what is your water slider set to? One more thing, you mentioned using 4096x4096 water, is your TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD in the FSX.cfg set to 4096? It's very strange because in the first images it looks like the water itself is okay but rather the elevations or waves were being somehow ignored but I'm not so sure. I'm assuming you started back on complete default FSX and the problem was still there, I guess that could only be the driver but again it's strange that only water is affected.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

Like I said, it's the zoom level control that is causing your problem, not your graphics card or any other setting or your textures.  Zoom out by hitting the minus key about 3 times.   Your zoom level might be okay for your default textures but not for any addon textures.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Zooming isn't really the issue. I've zoomed in and out, I've flown low and high. The water just looks blocky and pixelated. Even the reflections are blocky and pixelated from the moon and sun. It's got to be some sort of shader issue or GPU issue. 

I think another issue might be the water layers aren't really rendering. It seems there are only 2 layers of water, one on top of the other. One layer, the bottom one, is stationary and contains the bump maps while the top layer moves in a single directions and is somewhat transparent. It's that top layer that blocky and pixelated. 

Here's a screenshot, everything default from the FSX San Juan mission. Fire up your fsx and see if the screenshot compares!

5zb3hqh.jpg

Also I noticed when trying to change the water to a darker hue it doesn't really work. The water stays kind of a light snowy color. Not sure it's related but it might raise a flag on the issue. Again, may have something to do with a layer rendering issue. 

Also I noticed when trying to change the water to a darker hue it doesn't really work. The water stays kind of a light snowy color. Not sure it's related but it might raise a flag on the issue. Again, may have something to do with a layer rendering issue. 

Did you find any solution?  i'm having the same issue with my water