Sign in to follow this  
Square Nozzle

Elevator trim not working

I am new to this forum and to MS FSX. I have gone into "settings" and did a reset on the controls, num lock is off. Using a Logitec Extreme 3D pro stick. When I try to trim my Cessna 172 using the 7 and 1 keys on the keypad, nothing happens. All the other flight controls work as expected. I just can't trim the plane so I have to fly holding the nose down with the stick.

Help greatly appreciated.

John

At the bottom of the 172 panel there is a trim wheel. Can you run it up and down with the mouse pointer? Does it change your trim? Turn numlock on. Does 1 and 7 work now?

Dave

Dave, The trim wheel does not respond to the mouse pointer. If I turn the Num Lock on, the 1 and 7 keys affect the pilots view not the trim. The only time that I get trim response is when I  do a Ctrl-T and then the trim responds while the down trim button is pressed. Once I release down trim (the 7 button) the trim auto adjusts back to 19.5 degrees up trim. I'm tempted to call MS Support but I know they will ask for a credit card.

John

Are you sure you don't have AUTOPILOT ALTITUDE HOLD on?

If not, delete your FSX.CFG and let it re-build a new one.

Dave

Dave, I got on the phone with MS and worked with a tech to find and fix the trim problem. He tried a few adjustment but nothing worked so we deleted and reloaded the entire program. Still had the trim problem. I always had a minor question about having my Radio Control Flight simulator plugged in as well as the Logitec 3D controller for the MS system. While waiting for the Tech to do some research I unplugged the R/C controller and tried the trim. Problem resolved. It appears that the MS system didn't know which controller to choose and that caused the trim and eventually throttle problems. I still don't know why when I selected the Logitec controller in the settings window the system would revert back to the R/C controller. I don't have the same problem when I fly my R/C system. So I unplug the R/C controller when I fly MS and all is well.

You should check all the mapped controllers in your settings in FSX. If you click on the drop down you should see the rc controller in the list. Clear out the trim axis and you should be fine going forward.

What RC sim do you use? I used to fly RC years ago.

Using the Real Flight 6.5 system. I went for many years with out a simulator but when I got into flying jets I got the Real flight. It helps keep me sharp during the winter break in the North East (Connecticut).

I tried "choosing" the Logitec controller in the settings menu but it never locked in. The system always reverted back to the Real Flight controller. Never did figure out how to lock the MS system controller in.

Thanks Dave. I did what you instructed and it works fine. Now I don't have to unplug the Real Flight controller when I want to fly MS FSX. Now why didn't the MS Tech have me do that?

I know this is an old thread, but I had this problem and found my solution that I wanted to post.

I could not get Trim to work.  The Np7 and Np1 keys would do nothing.  Assigning Elevator Trim to a button or axis did not work.  I finally noticed that FSX had assigned a TON of buttons on my controllers to many, many commands that were incorrect.  But even with these button assignments, since they were not being pushed, I didn't see why it would cause the problem.  But I went through and Deleted every controller button assignment and axis in the game.  Then I flew the Cessna 172.  When I pressed the Np7 & Np1 keys, the Elevator Trim WORKED!

So, it was a control conflict.  I backed up my FSX Controller/Keyboard file(C:\Users\....\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\Standard.XML) to a safe location since it was a lot of work deleting everything and making sure it was 'clean'.  Then I re-assigned all of my controllers and they are working fine now.  ;-)

• Upvote 1