Sign in to follow this  
rstough

Weather Maker Pro V ActiveSky

Guest Peter Sidoli

I noticed an announcement regarding the release in Feb of Weather Maker Pro.Will this do everything that ActiveSky does and more? are there new features coming to ActiveSky?Also what about FS Sky world compatability?Any information on how these two systems operate? I have ActiveSky and wouldnt change unless there was some dramatic advancement or benefit?Peter

I *think* Weather Maker is more geared towards generating offline weather where as AS downloads real-world, though you can do both with either program.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest bobsk8

The only way it could be more realistic than active sky is if it made it rain and snow in your computer room.

Well there's no such thing as perfection in the computer software industry ;)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Weather maker is also theme based, generating a weather scenario based on real or hand-created weather. Obviously, time will tell what the merits and handicaps are to this method...Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Hi Peter -To answer you question, it is compatable with FS Sky World. As far as in comparison to ActiveSky - well I knew that question was going to come up sooner or later. Both I believe are very good products, and each handle the weather within FS2004 completely different. I believe both products have great areas of strengths. ActiveSky has been on the market longer when it comes to Real Time weather, thus they have been able to solidify their real weather engine. This is an area we just moved into. But, we feel we have done well to master this area, and will continue to prefect. One of our strengths I believe is the ability to customize the weather to your liking without a lot of effort. Similar to Flight Ulimited 3 did years ago. Now you can have it in FS2004. Thus, you see an approaching cold front or low pressure system. Whatever you place on the map.We have made a spec sheet giving a few of the specifics as to what you are able to do with WMPRO.You can directly download it at our mirror site:http://focusthink.com/~weather-maker/wmpro_specs.pdfThat will give you some detail as to what WMPRO does and screenshots of interfaces and effects on the weather.If you have any additional questions feel free to email me at:reedstough@calibresoftware.com.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Guest Peter Sidoli

The part that is interesting is building in frontal and pressure systems.How dynamic will such weather systems be. FU3 had dynamic weather systems with warm and cold fronts and the relative conditions before and after such fronts.will yours be as truly dynamic as FU3 with as easy to use interface or will it be just an impression of pressure systems.Finally is it a case of one or the other ie WMP or Active Sky or can they both be used for their own strong points?Peter

Hi Peter,To answer the part of your question that has not been answered:Yes, there are a string of new/improved features planned for the next version of AS. Yes, the list is still in development and no, I cannot release even a partial list! A time-frame has not been developed as some real-life stuff is involved in the mix.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

We have built the weather engine with very realistic formulas. For example before you create your own weather you have to set the conditions. (Kind of taken from WM Personal Edition a couple of years ago) In other words you set a general temperature, dewpoint, wind speed, baro reading. Based upon the parameters you set you will determine the depth and intensity of the weather system you place on the map. Thus, the more the moisture and lower the pressure and stronger the winds the more intense the weather system at the surface and aloft.Before you fly into a cold front you will fly through a common warm sector with scattered puffy cu clouds, as you fly through the front or it moves over you you will experience either broken to overcast stratus or cumulonimbus clouds. (It depends on the parameters you set before hand.) When you fly out you will have the common wind shift (sometimes very strong) with a few scattered low stratus with maybe some light rain. A low pressure system is a true vortex. If you fly across in an X formation from one point to another you will truly feel the effects of the various wind flows. You may go from Thunderstorms on the southeast side to a blizzard on the northern fringes. It is up to you. I hope that gives you some insight as to what it will do. The nice thing is that you will be able to save and share these files with other.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Yeah I used the WM Personal for FS2002 long time ago and it was great. Real weather is not always the way to go - what if you want to fly VFR over a particular area which is IMC irl at the time? The default and few addon weather themes that exist are not enough and creating custom weather is tedious. I will definitely look into getting this program.

MSFS / XP

Hi Peter -I wanted to update you on some of our last minute enhancements before release of Weather Maker Professional this next Friday.We have now set it up so that when you create a weather scape using our creation tool and load it into FS2004 - that over a period of time the front or low pressure, etc, will move across the area. Thus, you can sit at the gate for over a half an hour and go from clear skies to partly cloudy then rain, then clear skies again. This is the new dynamic load that we offer with WMPRO.We also have finalized the ability to load FS2004 Flight Plans into WMPRO so that you can get the weather between points of your Flight Plan on current or archived weather automatically.Just thought we would update you on this new feature.Sincerely,Reed Stough

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com