Sign in to follow this  
tomman27

Overclocking needed? i7 4770k

Hello,

I got a i7 4770k processor at 3.5 ghz with turbo boost at 3.9 ghz but is it better to overclock it for fsx to get it smoothly on ultimate graphics?

My pc:

Windows 7 professional

16 GB RAM

I7 4770k

Nvdia gtx 780 3 gb

256 gb Solid state drive

If it is better to overclock it i gonna buy a corsair h100i liquid cooling

thanks,

Corsair h100 is a joke. It's quality is nowhere near the quality of real water cooling.

You will be better buying good air cooling solution - Enermax ets t40 as a budget solution, or something from Noctua (nhd14) as a more expensive and quieter one. Please check the reviews of coolers. Phanteks tc14 is also great one and outperforms corsair.

Corsair h solutions are something in the middle and their quality is just low comparing to good air cooler.

Anyway - it is always worth to overclock CPU. Squeeze out 4.6-4.7 ghz from it and you will definitely see performance boost in a CPU hog like FSX.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Hello,

I got a i7 4770k processor at 3.5 ghz with turbo boost at 3.9 ghz but is it better to overclock it for fsx to get it smoothly on ultimate graphics?

My pc:

Windows 7 professional

16 GB RAM

I7 4770k

Nvdia gtx 780 3 gb

256 gb Solid state drive

If it is better to overclock it i gonna buy a corsair h100i liquid cooling

thanks,

My advice would be to try FSX and see.  Generally speaking, FSX tends to run smoothest with a CPU running at 4 GHz or better.  If FSX performs well for you without overclocking, then just leave it alone.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Corsair h100 is a joke. It's quality is nowhere near the quality of real water cooling.

The stock fans with my H110 were extremely loud, so I replaced them with two Noctua NF-A14 FLX and its quieter than ever. Overclocking with the H110 is pretty good, I was able to get 4.5GHz out of the 4770K at 1.25 volts. I know its not the H100, but try looking at the H110, its better than air cooling IMO!

I have a i5-4670k cooled by h100i. It is clocked to 4.4GHz at 1.24v and during a four hour flight cpu temp does not exceed 50 deg C, and water temp 32 deg C therefore I would describe h100i as more than adequate?

Ray

The down side of Haswell is the heat factor when overclocking, the up side is that it is already a pretty fast processor, so you should not have to go nuts.

I have a i5 ivy bridge which as you can see by my PC specs, I have only a modest O/C, yet it handles FSX quite nicely with a lower end card than yours.

I can also recommend the Kraken X60 cooler, but I think I will go the same route as Shamrock, because the fans are a bit noisy.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Thank you all for the information,

But i just wondering, now i have a cooler master hyper evo tx3 i think i cant overclock with this cooler but maybe some have experience with this cooler or did somthing know about this cooler

I have the i7-4770k matched up to a gtx780sc running 3 monitors and have all the sliders turned up. really if it is allready a decent system and vid card you shouldnt even need to oc. Hope this helps.

Hi Tomman, 

You should always over clock if your purpose is to get performance in FSX. 

The CPU is the single most important factor!

Also, make sure you use an affinity mask in your fsx.cfg file to make sure you do not use core 0 in FSX.

You can over clock with any kind of cooler, even a standard one!

Off course the better the cooler, the more you can over clock if you have a good chip. 

I am not sure what Mephic is on about, but I can assure you the opposite is true. 

I moved my rig from a Nactua air cooler to a Corsair H80i, and the temps are more than 10C lower at high load, which makes it very good bang for your buck. (2600K @ 4.8 ghz.)

Off course a custom water loop is the best solution, but most of us don't want to spend that kind of money and time on cooling. 

I would advise to get the best cooler you can afford, and just go for the highest over clock you can get stably in a nice temp range, and once again, make sure to set the right affinity mask and to disable hyperthreating in your bios.

I have an 4770k and its over clocked, fsx never been better, no coooling, just a big &@($* heat sink fan

14ppkc-6.png

The H110 is my recommendation, cools great and quiet. It's about the best at the moment. That is, if you don't mind the risk of leaks.

If you do tremble at the prospect of leaks, then the NH-D14 is great, I have one, never lets me down. Or alternatively, if you are worried about RAM clearance, the Thermalright Archon SB-EX2 cools just as well, but with no RAM clearance issues.

Be wary of the AIO water coolers that demonstrate low temps, as many of them cheat by using high RPM noisy fans, so in terms of the heats sink efficiency, sans fans, they aren't as efficient as claimed.