Sign in to follow this  
Guest av84fun

New DELL : Will FS9+add-ons run incredibly well on this?

This is a great system, you won't get much better.But if you are looking for a PC that will guarantee you 30+ fps for ANY available addon combination: this system simply doesn't exist (yet).Without a shadow of a doubt there will be people that claim: "my system never gets lower than 30+ fps, with everything maxed out"Well, you simply haven't tried everything yet.Example: just try the freeware NL2000 scenery, at EHAM (which, I admit, is an extremely complex scenery); I assure that at some areas on this airport you will never get more then 15 fps.Even when using a simple, default FS aircraft.Regards, Rob

If you're already considering waiting for SLI (which FS9 really does not take advantage of) and if you feel comformtable only with Intel processors, then you should also consider waiting for the new Intel 64-bit processors that are supposed to come out soon in conjunciton with the new 64-bit MS Win OS. Normally, I would say don't worry too much about waiting for technological improvements as often the time spent waiting for them is not worth the time you could have spent enjoying new equipment. However, with a new operating system lurking around the corner I'm not so sure.

Guest cw1011

Couple things:1. The newest Intel chips run really hot - thus very little room to overclock. Actually, you can't overclock anything - dell's bios won't let you. 2. You can get a great mobo, a AMD 64 3.5 gig chip (retail with fan) for about $500. This combo will run close to the dell, and allow you to OC to your heart's content. Will probably fit into your old case. Also, I'd rather have a consumer version of a high end video card than an OEM. I want to make sure that Dell isn't skimping. 3. FS9 does not support SLI at this time. No word on whether the next gen will. It will work for some games though, but I find that FS9 is my most demanding program. 4. Overall performance will be strong. On my rig (amd 64 3.5, AV8 mobo, 1gig ddr 3200 and a an ATI x800 xt platinum, my sim runs much, much smoother and pegs out at 23 or 27 on the fps meter when limited to these numbers most of the time. Even with a strong rig though, you will see drops into double digits in heavy clouds, or on approach into really complex airfields. But, it will be much less hiccupy.Good luck.

Guest Paul Heaney

Let me elaborate on this NOISE issue, as I have practically the same system you have.What Noise?Even with FS9 Maxed out, heating the hell out of the processor, the noise is a WHISPER!

Hi JS,I have an almost identical Dell XPS except I have the Gen 3 3.6GHz variety with 2GB of RAM and the 256MB ATI X800XT.Yes the system allows FS9 to run very nicely but I still suffer with the problematic stutters when turning on the ground at large airports while using the PMDG 737 and Ultimate Traffic with AI at 75% as well as the very annoying texture tile popping when switching views while airborne. I use the default scenery. FPS is locked at 30FPS and pretty much stays there all the time with occasional dips into the low to mid twenties in heavy cumulus clouds.I've incorporated practically every single tweak known to man to eliminate these problems but nothing has helped. I want to believe there's a magic bullet out there but I'm starting to think there might not be.However, don't let this bum you out... the FS9 experience is still awesome with the machine, visually stunning! And no doubt there are those out there with lesser systems that are getting even better performance than I do with this powerhouse... go figure :)I still love it in spite of the issues :)DougDell XPS Gen3 (3.6GHz/800FSB)2GB DDR SDRAM (533 MHz)74GB SATA, 10k RPM (C: ) & 120GB SATA (D: )ATI Radeon x800 XT (Catalyst 4.12)Audigy 2 ZS Sound (latest drivers)MS Force Feedback 2WindowsXP Pro (SP2)DirectX 9.0c

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Doug:I think I understand your note although I find it mildly amazing. The impact of FS generally on PCs defeats almost all of us in one way or another, doesn't it? Unbelievable!I am seriously wondering what kind of improvement I shall see switching from my existing DELL P4 rig which is 2.53Ghz and has a Ti4600 card. Having done massive amounts of tweaking over a prolonged period of time, and having switched off anti aliasing once again in 1600x1200 res, I generally get rather decent performance in most modes and with most add-ons. Cap is 22fps and it stays there till I hit dense cumulus when it falls to a range of 6 to 12 as I pass through the soup.My goal in getting a super high end P4 like the stuff I outlined above would be to ensure something totally smoooooooth even if frames are not necessarily 75/sec. But I would hope for at least 30 fps all the time, if not 40. I do find it slightly appalling that clouds can still impact a hi-end PC with a massive video card such as yours. And yeah I get your point, FS9 is still satisfying with your rig. But it's like, whoa! when does this sim work beautifully all the time and with everything?Answer: It probably can't be done.Or am I going overboard the other way now? (!)JS

Guest byoung

Not to rain on any parades, but buying a top of the line system for a premium price is a waste of money.Intel is in a HUGE slump right now with processor development and advancment. Intel used to double processing speed every year, but they are stuck on 3.x which isn't that great of an improvement over my 2.5 GHZ P4. At least from what I am hearing. Does anybody know what the latest AMD processors run on the GHZ scale? I have a 2.5 GHZ P4 which I bought two + years ago, and the latest thing out is JUST a 3.4. Maybe the HT would help, but I can't see buying a new processor / motherboard to gain 5 FPS.Barry

Guest Len

I just got a similar system:P4 3.6 GHz with HT 800 FSB, 1gig ram, Radeon X800XT 256 mb.Bottom line: high density clouds will kill your system. High AI will also bring your system down. Nice system but I find myself making compromises like I did with my former system (2.8 ghz, ATI 9700TX 128 mb, 1 gig ram, 533 FSB) although I do notice a much smoother overall feel to flying and taxiing with the periodic but inevitable stutters.

Man, a depressing post! I am just surfing the DELL XPS Gen 4 site again and looking at whole systems, vid cards, monitors, you name it.I feel like going to bed and saving $3K!JS

Guest av84fun

Ditto. I have nearly the exact same rig. The only thing the naw sayers are correct about is that it cost an arm and a leg. I just decided that I wanted smooth simming or none at all and decided to throw money at the problem. I worked!I haven't yet tried to bring the rig to its knees with massive amounts of (in my case, unwanted AI traffic) or too many cloud layers etc.) But I can do steep turns over ORD or LAX and with the fps locked at 45, I get a MINIMUM of 44.6.I haven't tried to crank fps any higher because I think doing so would be visually useless.You are going to be totally thrilled with your new rig.Regards

Guest av84fun

Your rig WILL NOT be noisy. Mine is virutally SILENT.

Guest av84fun

<>No need to lock as low as 30. Use 40 and it will stay there +/- a couple of tenths. I am surprised that Doug doesn't get better results. The only diff between his rig and mine is that I have the x850.I am running with ZERO tweaks. I'm so tech challanged that I don't even know how to do a screen shot but if someone will tell me how, I'll post 35+ pfs in full 3D cumulus 500 AGL directly overhead ORD with 60% AI.Best,Jim

Guest av84fun

<>I beg to differ with you Barry. If you review my other posts in this thread you will see that I am getting huge performance results from such a high end rig. No waste of money in my case. I wanted utterly smooth performance with reasonably advanced settings and that is exactly what I got.What I have not done is to make the difficult impossible by loading up my system with massively complex airport scenery but I do have Megascenery SoCal and my fps there are well into the 30s in cloud.Regards,Jim

Guest av84fun

<>"Similar" is not the same. I am convinced that the twin Raid 0 drives are an important advantage. In addition, I have 2 gigs of RAM which everyone says is useless but high density clouds don't kill MY system.Regards,Jim

I would bet $$ your machine will hiccough in spades. Why? Because the percentage of total thruput on your machine will not be hugely different than mine, and mine hiccoughs as every other persons here GIVEN CERTAIN SITUATIONS. If you fly alot around water and dense scenery, PMDG 737s, ActiveSky, max settings using default clouds, you will see frames in the low teens at times. And you don't have fluidity at 13-14. JMHO! It's very easy to create code (clouds etc) that will bog down anything available today.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X