Sign in to follow this  
LoganCastle

PMDG 777 KSFO 28L Threshhold Problem

Are airfields level so that all thresholds are at the same altitude?

Real world?  No.

FSX?  Yes.

Kyle Rodgers

Umm sounds familiar. Oh,  believe someone found out recently there is sea wall there! :P

I forget the actual physics and location of the whole thing

It is rigged so that when in the correct landing attitude, with the main wheels touching the ground (but oleos fully extended), it reads zero.

Best regards,

Robin.

It is rigged so that when in the correct landing attitude, with the main wheels touching the ground (but oleos fully extended), it reads zero.

Thought it was something like that, but didn't want to go fact checking, so thanks!  :lol:

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

I more note to hit on.  I did much testing on this and came to a conclusion, that this sudden loss of altitude/crash only happens over runways right next to water OR runways on a plateau - in both cases the elevation right before the threshold is 30-50 feet different then the threshold (a sudden change in elevation).  I also noticed if I come in a bit high on the approach, I never crashed, but if I come in low on those runways mentioned above, I always crashed.  And the crash was an unrealistic vertical slam of 50 feet down as shown in my youtube video posted above.

Again, the mesh setting of 19 solved it for me.

One more thing- I am glad the site is back - it seemed like a week it crashed. I am off to do 4 hours in a 777-200 full motion simulator.  I'll post videos of it.

Paul Gugliotta

Again, the mesh setting of 19 solved it for me.

+1

Same problem occurs on Aerosoft's Nice Côte d'Azur scenery landing on 04L

Setting mesh resolution on 19m solved it for me too (10m was already too low as I still crashed when landing a bit too low)

This is what happened :

I did some experiments when avsim was down. I am pretty sure it is FS Global mesh problem, since after I disable it, it is fine.

Danny F

If I approach the runway low (3 red on PAPI) just as I cross the threshold the runway jumps up about 30' or so

This has happened to me in the PMDG 747 @ KSFO RWY 28R... also @ KLGA RWY 13.  In my case, I can be "On Glidepath" -- handflying or Autoland, doesn't matter -- I get a crash into something invisible.

It would also explain why (as someone mentioned) it seems to happen on over-the-water approaches.

That is the only thing I find consistent; happens where the water and threshold are in very close proximity.  I have heard too it was a Mesh problem (I mainly have the Orbx areas e.g. PNW etc.).  I've had it happen on at least two different systems (one XP x64, the other Win7 x64).

I've tried also with the default 747 and the PMDG 737.  No problems at both locations with either airplane.  In fact, I can fly well below glidepath with the PMDG 737 w/ no problem (no invisible crash barrier).

The only way I know to avoid is to remember where it happens (e.g. @ KSFO & KLGA) and to come in "well high" i.e. well Above Glidepath when flying the PMDG 747.

I more note to hit on.

Yes... similar to you, Paul.

Thanks regarding the Mesh = 19 setting... but for some strange reason, the sim absolutely refuses to allow me to set it below 10.  Even if I edit the fsx.cfg to MESH_RESOLUTION=21 upon opening FSX the slider is at 10.

Funny you mention Asiana. I've started flight 212 RKSI to KSFO in the PMDG 777. Let's see what happens. I'm using Flightbeam's KSFO scenery. I'll report back.

Landed on 28L today using autoland ( Don't trust my old man eyes) No problems

It must be the KPMG model. Haven't had the same issue with the PwC or EY model..... :P

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

I tested several times.

This bug also appears with default planes and default airports.

So I think this is a FSX native bug.

Default 737, 747, A320, PMDG 747, 777, 737, Aerosoft A320,321, Level-D 767 .. All same. The bug appears. !

What is the reason and solution? I have no idea....

(Sorry for my poor English)

Yep, it's an FSX bug.

Do you know any link or site about this issue? Some add-on scenery requires 5m mesh resolution. But the scenery has cliff threshold !!

The problem is with the way FSX terrain crash detection works.

It's like you occasionally see the aircraft jumping on the ground, particularly at KSEA, if the sim is busy with other tasks and can't update the terrain fast enough. In that case, as the elevation changed due to changes in the resolution of the mesh, it would cause the aircraft to bounce/crash.

I suspect what is happening is as the coastline LOD is increased (witnessed by the shape changing as you approach it) then the crash boundary built by the sim is not exactly in line with the visible terrain for whatever reason.

What would be interesting to do is taxi from the other direction and see where it is. It could literally be an invisible wall, or something worse.

Best regards,

Robin.