Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bobiow

Flight Sim Magazines

for those of you who subscribe, which do you like and why. the last time I subscribed to any, they were full throttle and microwings...both taken over by another outfit. so, are the current generation of fs hobby mags worth $40 a year (u.s.) or do forums such as this and flightsim make magazines unnecessary and redundant. thanks...Sherm

I'd like to hear from others on this as well.I recall seeing some PC aviation mags in the bookstore but when I visited recently I couldn't find any. I'm guessing their small publications who put out an issue on a quarterly basis or something?

Guest ThrottleUp

<<< forums such as this and flightsim make magazines unnecessary and redundant >>>I have to say "yes" :)Personally Im not impressed by any of the Sim mags out there and one of them only comes out bi-monthly.These forums are wicked and better than any magazine. Great advice from the sim gurus, gobs of freeware, articles, reviews....its all here!Those magazines are great if you have a 56K dial-up internet connection - their cover discs usually have important patches on them that would take hours downloading if they are large.

Guest rlitchfield

><<< forums such as this and flightsim make magazines>unnecessary and redundant >>>>>I have to say "yes" :)>Not sure I can agree with you here....I pick up the bi-monthly one "PC Pilot" (a British magazine) when it comes out here in Canada. I enjoy the articles, screens and info it carries. Yes, these boards and the many FS sites are great, this is just another method for me to get info on my favorite hobby.Robert- GA pilot at heart -

I see features in Computer Pilot regularly that I do not find highlighted on general forums. While it does contain articles relating to combat sims, it also has dense commercial and GA related articles. Profiles of airlines and their flight plans, instrument operations, aircraft theory and navigation practice, resource references, flying practices of various aircraft classes, and so forth heavily pepper these issues usually alternating in emphasis other month.While each issue varies in interest for me I have to say that I do not recall a single issue after purchasing a few and then subscribing that did not have at least a few articles of interest to me. I emulate GA, regional charter, and scheduled commuter operations and the mag just fits.I suggest you go to www.computerpilot.com and look at current and back issue subjects.

Guest danowat

I subsribe to both Computer pilot, and PC pilot, Computer pilot feels like one big advert to me, and as such I wont be renewing my sub, PC pilot on the other hand I like, and find a worthwhile addition to forums and the like.The have some pretty nice articles, and for me nice because it seems more UK specific.Dan.

Guest Crazed One

I prefer PC Pilot over Computer Pilot too even though im in USA.

Guest deKoven

>I subsribe to both Computer pilot, and PC pilot, Computer>pilot feels like one big advert to me, and as such I wont be>renewing my sub, PC pilot on the other hand I like, and find a>worthwhile addition to forums and the like.>>The have some pretty nice articles, and for me nice because it>seems more UK specific.>>Dan.Hmmm, I don't have any access to PC Pilot but I do sub to Computer Pilot. I find its advertising content to be very helpful; it keeps me up to date on what's out there. Their mag articles also are very nicely done. Since I'm fairly new to flight simming and not very knowledgeable about flight subjects these articles have been a godsend for me. It's interesting that the various reasons for NOT getting a mag are, for me, those reasons that I DO get one. It's very nice and usually right timely to read on the forums about problems, fixes and the like. However, one never knows; does that person posting REALLY know what he's talking about? Is this really something I want to do to MY system? I don't call the mags super accurate, although good knows they try, but at least the material is laid out in a reasonably concise and accurate manner. This is just what one does NOT get online so the two forms complement each other. I read 5 forums each morning and get a mag a month. Suits me just fine. YMMV, of cuss! :D

I also subscribe to PC Pilot and Computer Pilot. Have read PC Pilot longer and find a bit more interest in it. It's a British publication (and the included flight tutorials are on the European continent), but still quite useful and informative for my purposes.

I don't subscribe because they don't come out enough, they are really expensive (in the US), and are more full of adverts than my wife's Cosmo. Now, I'm not trying to slam them because I think they've got good stuff in there, especially CP and PCPilot. But in the US, they're a little too pricey for what you get. I would recommend that if you live in the US that you stop by your favorite bookstore like Barnes and Noble and look at their shelf copies every month. If you see something you like, buy the issue, or do what I do and just browse through it for free-they let you do that at B&N. I think they are really enjoyable to read, but I seldom take one home. best

I do buy an issue of PC Pilot every now and then but I usually get bored with them very quickly. 50% of the stuff I already knew, and 40% doesn't interest me...It's OK for product reviews I suppose but doesn't come out often enough. By the time the review shows up I have already given in and bought the addon anyway because I couldn't wait :)Computer Pilot and PCAviator are basically one, so I have a hard time trusting some of their reviews. I mean it would be like FSD or Dreamfleet starting to review their own aircraft... :-lolBut this seems to be a general trend for both flightsim sites and mags - even AVSim is starting to give too many products 4.5/5 etc.Actually I enjoy real-world aviation mags more. From those I can get real-life pilot reports on different aircraft and inspiration for doing various flights and visiting new destinations. Far more interesting than reading for the 15th time how to install freeware aircraft.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Regarding CP Reviews I do not recall specifics but there were a few negative reviews even on products sold (but not published) by PC Aviator. Some of the negative contents on scenery packages regarded either poor FPS performance or not enough for value in some airport collections. Generally the reader is left to draw his own conclusion based on pros and cons included. Also note that some reviews are conducted on "lower end" systems.Even with the ads I find their editorial content on a per issue basis greater than PC Pilot in issues regarding commercial and general aviation and do not forget that CP is monthly and PCP is (if not changed) bi-monthly. I find their frequent international route articles of interest accenting environment and aviation hazrards in each area such as their recent trip down the Nile starting in Rome, complete with IAPs.Military simming it is true varies from issue to issue on its content percent but I never find it overwhelming.The how-tos appear in many cases written by rated pilots in a clear concise manner, contain practical advice, and many times are more than basics. Profiles of real-world airline/aircraft/ATC operations are frequently presented. Many of these apply to the real world where as PC P seemed to limit is how-to coverage to sim operations.I have not browsed many issues of PC P in the two years I've subscribed to CP but I find CP eventually covers what PC P contains plus a lot more.Summarizing, I think there is a lot more to it overall for the expense. While mentioning expense, there is a bundle that includes a year of CP with a priority membership of flightsim.com, if still available, at not much more than a CP subscription. Those who download from that site (besides here) may find priority access of use during busy node times (and yes, there are arguments here about whether that access offers any advantage - that's another subject).

Guest Bobiow

Yes I have to agree, PC Pilot here in the UK is excellent. I only have a dial up connection and the last mag came with FS9.1 on the cover disc so saving a long night (it loaded fine by the way)The tutorials are also good for local flying and I now have a large collection of charts and airport maps from these discs.Bob