Sign in to follow this  
MarkRey

MH370

This is the most ludicrous argument I have heard yet from the Media. News flash, If it was him, he's already an experienced 777 pilot/trainer! He wouldn't need a simulator to be able to pull something like this off. The media is not using any common sense here!! If it was shown a passenger(s) some how got control, and it turned out he had a simulator, then they would have an argument about sims being involved.

Yeah, if you take the word "obsessive" out of it it sounds like the opposite meaning: that he had a passion for aircraft so why would he do it?  It's the opposite argument. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

That the plane has landed at a remote location under their control, to be used in some other attack. This is my greatest fear.

I cannot imagine any scenario where a large, unidentified aircraft flying anywhere in the world over any nation's airspace would not be intercepted by armed fighter aircraft, regardless of the nation who's airspace was being violated. :ph34r:

But then that just opens up another can-o-worms, does it not? Just why didn't the Malaysian Air Force investigate a UFO?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Just why didn't the Malaysian Air Force investigate a UFO?

What ? On a weekend????

january

I cannot imagine any scenario where a large, unidentified aircraft flying anywhere in the world over any nation's airspace would not be intercepted by armed fighter aircraft, regardless of the nation who's airspace was being violated.

In New Zealand we have a very large area that extends over the South Pacific and cover the ATC all the way down to Antarctica, and we don't have any fighter jets.....not even one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_New_Zealand_military_aircraft

Matthew Kane

It's been reported in some of the media here that black boxes do not send real-time data on the aircrafts' speed, position, course, altitude, etc and that it only stores this information. It's been reported that if this data were to be sent in real-time to, say, the airline HQ, it could help in locating a lost aircraft or at least narrow the search area much quicker. Can someone with airline industry knowledge inform us whether this would indeed be the case and if having the black boxes send real-time data would be a good idea or not?

I would suggest you reach out to @RunwayGirl on twitter who is considered expert on this matter. However my understanding is that blackbox (flight data recorder) records info only.  The ACARS data transmits flight/engine data for maintenance purposes

In New Zealand we have a very large area that extends over the South Pacific and cover the ATC all the way down to Antarctica, and we don't have any fighter jets.....not even one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_New_Zealand_military_aircraft

Under a certain Goverment of NZ about 11 years ago during the Pakistani-Indian crisis NZ were offered a batch (21 I think) of F-16s from the US at a discount yet even then that particular Government refused to purchase.

This is the most ludicrous argument I have heard yet from the Media. News flash, If it was him, he's already an experienced 777 pilot/trainer! He wouldn't need a simulator to be able to pull something like this off. The media is not using any common sense here!! If it was shown a passenger(s) some how got control, and it turned out he had a simulator, then they would have an argument about sims being involved.

This was my initial opinion as well, that a passion for flight simulation can be viewed as suspicious by the media and investigators, and that it should not raise a red flag if a type rated pilot enjoyed the hobby outside of work hours.  However, with the increasing suspicion in the news media of the pilot's interest in PC simming, I have given their idea  some thought, and I believe there may be some validity to this theory.  If the captain wanted to do a "dry run" of the hijacking, it would be very easy to practice in the comfort and privacy of his home as opposed to a company sponsored full motion simulator.  I am saddened that a home based flight simulator is being linked to the disappearance, but I can't help but think that the main advantages offered by home based PC computer simulators, privacy and affordability, can be seen as an aid to those with a nefarious purpose in mind, even real world pilots fully qualified and licensed to operate the aircraft.   

This is the most ludicrous argument I have heard yet from the Media. News flash, If it was him, he's already an experienced 777 pilot/trainer!

Agreed... the media falling over itself in an attempt to look utterly ridiculous.

20,000 logged hrs really means nothing.  30+ years experience with the same company over that geography / airspace means nothing.  What really matters is having the flight sim to practice.

Maybe having online access of Enroute charts is next to ban after the flight sim.

Maybe having online access of Enroute charts is next to ban after the flight sim.

I think you can count on it. I think after this, there's going to be a push to ban sites, like Flightaware, Flight Radar24, chart sites, etc. I don't think they'll be successful (At least I hope not) but they sure will try.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

My hope is that the plane is at least on the ground somewhere. Its looking more likely too. Just where?

new development 

More than a week after the plane disappeared, Malaysian authorities are now seeking diplomatic permission to investigate if it landed at a Taliban-controlled base on the border of Afghanistan and North West Pakistan.

ZORAN

This thread is not about banning flight simulators. It is about MH370. If you desire go start a thread on banning flight simulators, but keep to the topic please in this thread.

If the captain wanted to do a "dry run" of the hijacking,

I don't really think that, . . . .  considering the Pilots apparent love of flying and history / record. That said,one possibility - dumb theory - could be that a qualified and type rated pilot might use a simulator to train a accomplice. That is a very good example of all the BS theories being tossed around. Why would a rated PIC or FO for that matter need any help? The pilot most likely loved flying enough to do it in his spare time. That is not uncommon at all. I read a news comment somewhere that I cannot quote precisely but the basic idea was the pilot said at one time that he enjoyed the simulator because unlike the real thing which was all 'by the book' routine he could create situations that he would never allow a real T7 to get into. Oh my, the last part of that can be spun to mean situations like what have transpired with MH370.

I love a good mystery, but not the kind where loved ones suffer. I can't help thinking about those poor people waiting for news about their family or friends and being worried sick. I know I would be.

Regards to all,

Mel

This thread is not about banning flight simulators. It is about MH370. If you desire go start a thread on banning flight simulators, but keep to the topic please in this thread.

One I don't remember reading Tom A appointing you as a moderator of these forums! Please leave the moderating to the moderators or other AVSIM Staff. If you feel that a post goes too far, then use the Report button, and I'm sure one of the real moderators will take care of it. Two, since the issue of what role Flight Simulators may have had in this tragedy is in question (At least by the media), I submit it is a pertinent and on topic subject! 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d