Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Malaysian Flight 370

Just to make sure I understand (forgive my stupidity), if the FMC is re-programmed, the moment the new route is activated, the aircraft automatically transmits this info? I was wondering how they could tell a turn was the result of a programmed FMC as opposed to just changing heading - I guess this explains it.

Depending on the time of flight. We have airbuses and the crew will either divert and ask atc for a divert and tell them their intentions and then acars us a freeform message with all the info we need. Or they will ask us where we in ops wAnt them to go to. More often than not they will go to one enroute alternate s on their flightplans.

But like I said all depends on the nature,intention,time and specific reasons.

We use acars via arinc and hf. Not all airlines have it though

14ppkc-6.png

Its really puzzling, mind boggling, that CNN believe they have breaking news when they think that "Alright Goodnight" is threatning clue,  and discovering that Reprogramming the FMC would cause the aircraft to change course. Wow what a discovery. 

A CNN exclusive. 

• Upvote 2

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

A CNN exclusive. 

I was listening to CNN on the way to and from the dentist today (30 miles each way) and I honestly did not know whether to laugh or cry.  And that in regard to the so called experts they had engaged.  The typical member here could do a more accurate job, hands down.  One expert claimed to have good knowledge of FMCs, but did not seem to understand the concept of an airway, navpoint, or intersection.  Just kept talking about a latitude and longitude reading.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I have no doubt that some of these 'experts' are some very accomplished pilots with very established reputable careers. Its the fact the CNN takes everything as factual, and blows things up out of proportion. 

Martin Savage in the Toronto Simulator showing people how easy it is to change course in an aircraft. Of course its easy once you have the knowledge. Thats the whole point, to expedite course as per ATC. 

But whats next? A CNN proposal that FMCs should be banned or make it much harder to access because its too easy to change course? LOL

And the fact home simulators like FSX with sophisticated FMCs teach us how to navigate in part, is irrelavant. Anyone can learn to do that if they make it their goal. And yes Im defending the love of my hobby. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

The typical member here could do a more accurate job, hands down.

One reason that while I'll look at the news to try to find what facts are being reported (yes, I know even the facts may be questionable), I pay attention to the discussion here for theories - not only are some of the contributors RW pilots, or employeed by airlines, and as or more knowledgeable than some of these "experts," but even the simple enthusiasts have enough sophistication to ask intelligent questions, as opposed to a reporter whose only knowledge of aircraft is where the lavatories are located.

And yes, we know it's speculation, but it's not random baseless speculation. I recall several real world incidents over the years that have been discussed just like this, with people bouncing ideas back and forth, and conclusions being reached more quickly and with greater specificity and accuracy than what was reported in the news; the Asiana crash comes to mind.

For all of the dismissals, I think it comes down to this: The people who participate in these forums, particularly non-pilots, are people who arent satisfied by being told how airplanes work - they want to figure it out and experience it for themselves. This mystery, and the associated discussion, is the same thing for some of us. We're not content to simply sit back and wait for some panel of experts to tell us what they think happened someday. For many of the same reasons some of us are attracted to flight simming, we want to try to apply what we know and logic to deduce possible explanations. And we don't need to be reminded that we don't know all of the facts, and that it is just speculation, etc. Yeah, we get it.

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

Yeah, we get it.

Indeed.  For the first few days of this particular saga, AVSIM was off the air.  Trying to get information from the TV was almost impossible.  Trying to carry on an online discussion on news sites was the usual barrage of idiots blaming Obama or outer-space aliens.

Thanks for being here, AVSIM.

Okay, here's my thoughts:

Suicide plot: No. Why do I think not? Why would the pilot climb to 45,000ft and then descend to 23,000ft and change his course numerous times when simply pushing the throttles full forward and taking the aircraft into a steep dive would do the trick? Why fly for hours and hours?

Terrorists: Unlikely because there surely would've been some form of demands made public by now (e.g. prisoners freed from Guantanamo Bay, US forces out of Afghanistan, etc). It is possible that the government to which any demands had been issued is keeping it quiet, but again - unlikely.

Catastrophic failure: Highly unlikely, given the known movements of the aircraft after last contact.

My theory on what happened? I don't have one. Completely stumped. :huh:

Have we forgot that between the USA & the British  they have the best Submarines

in the world, full of special equipment and they have not pick up a signal

from the blackbox or the impact itself is Mind boggling,something is wrong with this

whole Scene.

Or are they not telling.

An uncontained fire, affecting the plane's electrical systems and the hydraulics, still seems quite likely to me.

Today I heard in the German news that rumour among pilots has it (like in "speculation on speculations"), this aircraft was transporting huge amounts of gold?!?  Definitely not my kind of speculation.

That's what's fascinating - usually it seems you can say, "It could be A, B, or C" - the evidence is consistent with multiple potential scenarios. Here the admittedly sketchy evidence is consistent with several possibilities, but each of those possibilities have points that severely undermine the theory. Part of that is attributable simply to the lack of credible information, which is itself fascinating.

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

Have we forgot that between the USA & the British  they have the best Submarines

in the world, full of special equipment and they have not pick up a signal

from the blackbox or the impact itself is Mind boggling,something is wrong with this

whole Scene.

The CVR and CDR both have either Dukane or Sippican 12KHz pingers that are activated when immersed. Why 12KHz? Because 12KHz is a frequency that has a longer reach than higher frequencies, and is in the band of frequencies that a submarine sonar (and a sonabouy, helicopter dipping sonar, etc.) would easily detect if it is not shadowed by debris or ridge. If at the right depth and thermoclines working in your favor, the pinger can be heard for dozens of miles. However, it is battery powered and will gradually stop pinging.

I continue to think that if the climb and descent was intentional, it fits with Goodfellow's discussion since I'd imagine the pilots would try to "starve" a fire in a non-pressurized space on the plane to attempt to put it out, if they could do so while maintaining cabin integrity.

That's what's fascinating - usually it seems you can say, "It could be A, B, or C" - the evidence is consistent with multiple potential scenarios. Here the admittedly sketchy evidence is consistent with several possibilities, but each of those possibilities have points that severely undermine the theory. Part of that is attributable simply to the lack of credible information, which is itself fascinating.

That would mean either the facts are wrong or the theories are wrong. The only thing I can think of that seems to match now, is a mentally disturbed passenger gaining access to the flightdeck, eliminating the pilots after the cockpit door was closed and then taking the plane for a several hour joyride until crashing into the ocean. I hate to say this, but the authorities need to check the manifests against records of people who've downloaded products like the PMDG 777 and other flightsim addons.