Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Malaysian Flight 370

Finally... someone (an older airline pilot) interviewed on FOX saying he doesn't know what the big deal is about the simulator...

That he (the capt) could have figured the route "with a pencil and paper".  Exactly!

--------------------

There was more focus on the schools where those terrorists took actual flight training. That's what I recall.

Precisely.

If you are around pilots, you will hear, "General Aviation lost its innocence on 9/11".

One example is when giving flight instruction (in the U.S.)... the U.S. student is supposed to prove their citizenship status before beginning flight training.  Non-U.S. flight students have more hoops to jump through.

I hate to say it, but I will... this idea of flight simming being "in danger" smacks more of "the sky is falling" than anything else.

It might even lead to simmers wanting to visit the USA being denied entrance because of their hobby.

That would require some intense NSA work to find out who those horrible criminals, the simmers are. 

It's certainly interesting think about those crazy possibilities though... I've always wondered what would happen if I traveled to Cuba, North Korea and Iran & got passport stamps from all of them and then tried to enter the US. 

But honestly it's sad we have to even wonder about governments doing these kinds of things that restrict basic freedoms. The times of western world as beacon of freedom seem to be over, nowadays I feel plenty of Asian and South American countries are becoming more and more free while we do exactly the opposite. 

• Upvote 1

Finally... someone (an older airline pilot) interviewed on FOX saying he doesn't know what the big deal is about the simulator...

That he (the capt) could have figured the route "with a pencil and paper".  Exactly!

--------------------

Precisely.

If you are around pilots, you will hear, "General Aviation lost its innocence on 9/11".

One example is when giving flight instruction (in the U.S.)... the U.S. student is supposed to prove their citizenship status before beginning flight training.  Non-U.S. flight students have more hoops to jump through.

I hate to say it, but I will... this idea of flight simming being "in danger" smacks more of "the sky is falling" than anything else.

You are correct but this short memory most seem to suffer from is really amazing. The scrutiny of FS2000 as well as the airports the terroist trained at were at play, both things happened... You can't discredit the FS component from the real world investigation as both were on the table right after 9/11.

Speaking of 'The sky is Falling' when investigators pull the man's simulator out of his house looking for routes he's flown virtually and then CNN reports on it as if it actually means something. In the picture above you have some Nome sitting in a Level-D simulator looking totally unprofessional without any credentials giving his opinion about 777 procedures. It looks stupid the reporter sitting with this guy who is not a full time 777 pilot.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

It's not going to be banned in the US - software is constitutionally protected under the 1st Amendment. The only real concern would be whether Boeing and Airbus would want to continue cooperation with software developers, or some lawyer tries to file a nuisance suit against a software developer, discouraging further development. But as others have said, my post 9/11 recollection was that attention was pointed towards flight schools and cockpit security.

From a flight simming perspective, it's probably more favorable if the pilot or co-pilot is responsible, even if he practiced on a sim, because it will be harder to claim he "learned" how from a sim.

I think there may be a little hypersensitivity to the flight sim angle here. Computer's are often analyzed to find some trace of intention or planning during any investigation, and naturally they would be looking for suspicious flight simulator files. But when we see stories, we see suspicious FLIGHT SIMULATOR files. I think most others see SUSPCIOUS flight simulator FILES.

In the news cycle, the media is going to hype anything they can get their hands on, and in this case there is little information, so the flight simulator aspect to us seems disproportionately large, but some other "fact" will pop up, and the media and public interest will move to something else. I think the biggest threat to the hobby is its commercial viability generally, not this specific incident.

• Upvote 1

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

A few things...

The climb to FL450 is unconfirmed. Further you do not climb to FL450 to extinguish a fire nor would climbing to FL450 depressurize the cabin. Just think back to the bombers of WWII, did they climb to extinguish onboard fires??? The best running synopsis I have found is

a liners.net...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

It's not going to be banned in the US - software is constitutionally protected under the 1st Amendment.

Not to challenge most of what you said, what people remember is what people remember but protections under the US constitution is eroding faster than a bat out of hell these days. States rights are being trampled on by activist judges, presidential powers are far over reaching, your forced to purchase products now or face an IRS penalty, senate powers have changed to further stamp down opposition, and religious rights are being threatened do to new tolerance laws.

Not a good track record for constitutional protections...

• Upvote 1

FS2020 

So is this a political peeing match over whether or not FS will be banned and theories on what ALMOST happened to FS after 9/11 (which was obviously nothing in the final outcome or we wouldnt be here)or a discussion on MH370?

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Yes, I understand that, but there is recent and unanimous Supreme Court precedent on this precise issue; this isn't a question of the exercise of executive power, which is a complex and ill-defined area of Constituional jurisprudence.

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

If anything, it sounds like now is the time to get P3D before it is pulled off the virtual shelves.

So is this a political peeing match over whether or not FS will be banned and theories on what ALMOST happened to FS after 9/11 (which was obviously nothing in the final outcome or we wouldnt be here)or a discussion on MH370?

You tell me??? It all ties into the irresponsible reporting going on with outlets like CNN. 'Everything is on the table at this point' and now the headline is Flight Simulator. Maybe you can post this question to CNN.

FS2020 

How many Americans may have died on MH370? Three I think? flight sims aren't going to be banned. American government couldn't care less about the other 236 people who died. 9/11 thousands died and billions in damage and flight sims weren't banned. Anyways, terrorists could just go and get a 777 type rating and be all set.

How many Americans may have died on MH370? Three I think? flight sims aren't going to be banned. American government couldn't care less about the other 236 people who died. 9/11 thousands died and billions in damage and flight sims weren't banned. Anyways, terrorists could just go and get a 777 type rating and be all set.

The government cares because this could happen in America. As far as Americans most of us care. Who wouldn't be moved by something like this.

FS2020 

American government couldn't care less about the other 236 people who died.

Well.. a Kanye West award for that statement.

I reckon that is why the U.S. has sent the NTSB, FBI... surveillance aircraft (plural) a couple of Navy destroyers to aid in the search... because the U.S. government doesn't care?

• Upvote 2